Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT SCOUT II

4 hours ago, suprafastcelica said:

To be honest, its a very simple kit.  Only 53 pieces.  Even though its simple I'm sure some of the higher skilled modelers will do amazing things with this kit. 

Much like the Revell Jeep Honcho, it's a good starting point, but so much work is still needed due to design simplification or error.

23 hours ago, alexis said:

I'm really waiting to see what Grille, Wheels&Tires and Decals Round2 Graced us with. I'll be having several of these.

Sorry, no pics, but the decal sheet looked good from the silhouette image  on the box bottom-- two bodyside panels, some gumball style numbers, sponsor decals, etc., but no factory style stripes. It appears a small sheet of clear acetate(?) is provided to use for the windshield, which I'm hoping isn't a sign that the full top and the transparent "glass" insert is lost or need work to be put to use in the mold. :unsure:

The grill is the one pictured on the box art, but no idea which tires are included.

The tire's are more than likely the same as all the other scout's have. I have an Original issue of the International off road Scout II, And it's tires were the same as the regular scout II kit. It even came with the option to use the rims for the regular scout II! The  Off road Scout II has a picture of a green scout II (off Road), While the kit was molded in red unlike the regular scout kit that was molded in Orange . The molded in Orange kit had a yellow scout II box art. So the Off road parts are shared by both the Off road Scout II, and the off road scout ss.

1 scout II SS.jpg

1 scout off road.jpg

de1dd13149f3704ac98ffe7d1ccabcc2.jpg

Edited by ranma

14 hours ago, ranma said:

The tire's are more than likely the same as all the other scout's have.

That can't be true. The Ertl issues have Goodyear Tracker A-T tire with a massively hogged out inner/rear sidewall, while the AMT branded reissues from the RCS era included some very plain looking all season tires. Unless Round2 acquired the tire mold for this particular tire (and I don't think they were ever used on any other kits by Ertl?), they probably didn't include the Goodyear Tracker A-Ts. I would guess they have modified the wheels (and maybe the wheel backs?) to fit one of the more standard AMT off-road tires, such as the former Gates Commando XT tires included in the Chevy Blazer, Chevy Van kits, '65 El Camino, etc.

Hopefully someone who purchased one is willing to share pics and details with us here. :)

Here is pictures of the Off Road Scout II being built. Note same tires that are used for the regular scout II Last 2 pictures were found on the internet.. Note the stock scout II rims on the Chrome tree in the Original issue of the Off road Scout ss. All the "off road"parts from this was also used for the Off road scot II but Molded in red!

DSC02151.JPG

DSC02152.JPG

DSC02161.JPG

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

DSC02168.JPG

Off road Scot II.jpg

Vintage-International-Off-Road-Scout-Ss-Ii-Truck.jpg

Edited by ranma

Just picked up this kit. The tires are indeed the regular Scout ones with the hogged out inner side. The chrome tree is the same as the regular Scout but with the SSII grille. Spoke wagon wheels are a separate sprue. Body has no top and the pass through doors, interior/chassis piece accommodates the "doors." Funky aftermarket bucket seats, no stock seats at all. Also no cowl-mounted mirror as depicted on the box.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:48 PM, kataranga said:

Just picked up this kit. The tires are indeed the regular Scout ones with the hogged out inner side.

Thanks for the info, Chris. I'm gonna sit this reissue out and wait for the 'next' full top, regular Scout issue with the full doors. 

On 8/10/2018 at 10:18 PM, suprafastcelica said:

Im trying to get pictures of the tires to load. They are goodyear tracker a/t

I'm wanting use either the large tires and wheels from the Deserter or 84 GMC pickup kit or the newer Jeep with the green box art. 

When i was a kid, my sister dated this guy who gave me a bunch of model kits.  Among them was a original issue Scout SSII what was very nicely painted orange with black door openings.  For the life of me i cannot figure out what happen to that.  all i had was the body. not frame, axles motor.  Wish i had it now.

Well, I just got and looked inside the new Scout Kit. It is pretty much what I had expected. Tires are the same as both the Original Issue (Yellow truck on box) and the 2002 RC/ETRL issue. Goodyear Tracker's.. Same Hogged out space for the wheel backs. They are fairly soft too.. All the Off Road parts are, as you would expect, on totally separate sprues. Unlike to original boxing, however, the clear windshield is no longer an Injection Molded part. It is now a sheet of cloudy acetate, with no cutting template in the instructions. Round2 loses a few points points for this, but I expect that the tooling for the windshield was lost. Rather than jack up the price, Round2 went with a cut-it-yourself sheet of plastic. Not a real big deal, but a cutting template would have been nice The Spoke Wagon Wheels are very nice, and not nearly as spindly and fragile as the directions make them look. They are also have well defined Front & Rear hubs. Very Nice. The instruction sheet is a direct copy of the one posted as the ones posted at Casey's Modelkits website.However Round2 as added quite a bit of additional information. Very Nice. Lastly the Decals. Vastly improved over what came with it originally. Some parts are direct copies of what had to have been on the original, but there is so much more. 4 pairs of KC Hi-LItes decals for the Pair of offroad lights on the Brush Guard, Decals for the Marker Lights, Small 'gumball style' number roundels, and even a set of sponsor markings for "Art Smart's Parts Marts", and the usual set of small manufacturers' decals.

As a P.S. by combining the offroad parts from this kit with the body of the standard kit, you can build the offroad Scout. (the one with the Green truck on the box). My guess is that if this kit sells well, we might see Round2 do exactly that, combine the stock body with the offroad parts and bring back the other kit. Only time will tell. (Hint to Round2. If you do indeed do this, find a way to throw in a couple Police Flashers or Gumballs and some Ranger, Sheriff, or other L.E.O. Decals. The kit already has a radio, it it will make a really Sweet little Beach Patrol or Ranger Unit.)

Rating, Must Have.

19 minutes ago, alexis said:

the clear windshield is no longer an Injection Molded part. It is now a sheet of cloudy acetate, with no cutting template in the instructions. Round2 loses a few points points for this, but I expect that the tooling for the windshield was lost.

The lack of transparent molded parts might be why they went with this version instead of the Scout with the full top and multiple pieces of 'glass'.

10 hours ago, alexis said:

As a P.S. by combining the offroad parts from this kit with the body of the standard kit, you can build the offroad Scout.

Alan- since you have both versions...   the original version, the first Round 2 release was devoid of under hood details.  The photos that Ranma posted above showed an off road version with all the goodies under the hood... heater, master cylinder, coolant bottle...   did they add all of that into the offroad version?  Or did someone add it to the built kit shown?

5 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

The photos that Ranma posted above showed an off road version with all the goodies under the hood... heater, master cylinder, coolant bottle...   did they add all of that into the offroad version?  Or did someone add it to the built kit shown?

Tom all the under the hood things were extra's from one of my "parts Box's" , And were added to the scout by me. None of the scout kit's came with the extra needed parts...

6 minutes ago, ranma said:

Tom all the under the hood things were extra's from one of my "parts Box's" , And were added to the scout by me. None of the scout kit's came with the extra needed parts...

Thanks for clarifying that Rick!  It looks good!

I saw in another thread that someone is going to cast all those goodies, so I'm in!

Casey, the Glass in the Hardtop is all one piece with the taillights, cast in clear in the middle. According to the Directions on your site,the Roadster had an injected, flat windshield only. It has taillights molded in Red this time. My guess is that the tooling for that small, flat windshield only has gone adrift in the last 40+ years, and Round2 just uses the Flat, acetate sheet instead.

No Matter! I'm just thrilled to have the kit back.

2 hours ago, alexis said:

Casey, the Glass in the Hardtop is all one piece with the taillights, cast in clear in the middle. According to the Directions on your site,the Roadster had an injected, flat windshield only. It has taillights molded in Red this time. My guess is that the tooling for that small, flat windshield only has gone adrift in the last 40+ years, and Round2 just uses the Flat, acetate sheet instead.

Ah, that makes sense. Hopefully that is the case and we'll see the full top Scout in the not too distant future. :)

Just picked up one of the kits today and here are some pics. As discussed, the basis for the kit is the same as the hardtop or stock kit from original release to the re-releases over the years, with the exception of the body and interior tub. The extra off road parts are on a seperate sprue. The windshield in the original release was molded as a separate piece from the taillights. When I built my original release one, I didn't like how thick the molded windshield glass was.so I cut sheet acetate to fit the windshield frame, which was rather crude itself(the frame). I think the new release with the included acetate is a step in the right direction, although they should have included a guide to trace the shape somehow. I had the original kit molded glass to use and I guess I'll use it to built my new one too. Here's some pics.

20180818_233721.jpg

20180818_234114.jpg

20180818_235739.jpg

Here's a pic of the glass. The one on the right is the glass from the hardtop kit showing how it's all molded as one with the taillights in the center to trim out. The new SS kit acetate and red molded taillights are on the upper left. I think it's a mistake to mold them in red, you need to paint the reverse lights now instead of leaving them clear and just painting the taillights red. The original SS release windshield is on the lower left.

20180818_235319.jpg

I like the expanded decal sheet. Nice printing and I like all the extra sponsor decals and Scout license plates. The IH logos are a nice touch, but I don't think I'll use the marker light decals, just foil and translucent paint. Sorry for the light flash in the middle of the sheet.

20180818_233843.jpg

On 18/8/2018 at 3:45 AM, alexis said:

however, the clear windshield is no longer an Injection Molded part. It is now a sheet of cloudy acetate, with no cutting template in the instructions. Round2 loses a few points points for this, but I expect that the tooling for the windshield was lost. Rather than jack up the price, Round2 went with a cut-it-yourself sheet of plastic. Not a real big deal, but a cutting template would have been nice.

Could it be, that there’s protective foil on the acetate?

Dunno, just guessing....