Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT SCOUT II

I was wondering if anyone knew about the history of the AMT International Scout II kit. Things like when it was first released, reissued, revised, ect. It was most recently reissued with a '78-'79 style grille, but the photo on the instruction sheet shows an earlier grille, which leads me to think it may have been an "annual" type kit at one time.

Also, the misshapen hood and grille and a weird, pan shaped mold mark on the outside of the interior tub make me wonder if it was a modified A-series Scout, or if it was originally intended to be an A-Scout but AMT's management changed their mind halfway through?

There were four versions of the Scout kit. The first was a 76, with stock bucket seats, and single exhaust. It was orange on the box, and molded in orange. Then it was released as a 77-79 in two versions. One was stock,(molded in yellow, and yellow on the box, if I remember correctly), and an "off road" version. The O-R version had racing seats, a roll bar, headers and side dump dual exhaust. It was green on the box art, but molded in red. The fourth version was an SSII. It had the racing buckets, rollbar, etc, as well as the SSII grill. It was blue on the box, molded in tan. The decals also varied from kit to kit.

What you are seeing on the outside of the interior is the outline of the SSII door cut outs. The sink marks are on every kit I've ever seen.

Don't know the full design history on the kits, but, in working daily on the 1:1, there is no way to modify a Scout II body into a first generation Scout (61-71).

Hope that helps!

It's not terribly hard to remove a bit of material from the top of the grilles (they've got a curve that's much too pronounced) and then carefully bend/flatten the leading edge of the hood to match. Most people also don't mask off the chrome and paint the body color surround (or strip/paint the whole thing and detail with BMF). With a little extra care and detail even the reissue grille/hood can look quite good.

Here's a quick comparison I did with two kits, the one on the left is modified and primed/detailed.

ScoutGrilleComparo-vi.jpg

Here's an original SSII that I built, leaving the butterscotch colored body unpainted (wish I'd figured out the grille/hood modification, but bending the hood would likely have meant the color of the plastic might have been affected):

ScoutF-vi.jpg

ScoutR-vi.jpg

Would be fun if they'd reissue this one too.

Don't know the full design history on the kits, but, in working daily on the 1:1, there is no way to modify a Scout II body into a first generation Scout (61-71).

Hope that helps!

That's a fact... I tried to turn the Scout II into an A800 Scout. It ain't happenin', kids! You're better off starting with a scratchbuilt body and using the Scout II kit to fill in the blanks.

Thanks for the info guys... now I just need to find one of those SSII versions!

The underhood "detail" innacuracies wouldn't be so noticable if there were things like a heater box, brake cylinder, reservoirs, ect., to cover it all up. I've relied heavily on my parts box to fix this area on the last three of these I've built.

Edited by Chuck Most

• 1 month later...

Ertl had a comprehensive line of agricultural eqpt and heavy IH trucks, and had lots of working (if out of scale!) features for plastic kits. i have an instruction book (!!) for a Massey Ferguson farm tractor (how cool would that be for a trailer load) and

it is probably better for it's day than ANY instruction set today. in all honesty i wish i'd bought a bunch of these old kits when the local hobby shop clearanced them out in the eighties......

What a history lesson guys , thanks to everyone as I saw the old Ertil kits back in the day but I never built any of them. did see a built example of the International Transtar tractor once and I was impressed with the detail. The builder had done a replicia of te truck he was currently driving all through the mid west .

Edited by Eshaver

Ertl had a comprehensive line of agricultural eqpt and heavy IH trucks, and had lots of working (if out of scale!) features for plastic kits. i have an instruction book (!!) for a Massey Ferguson farm tractor (how cool would that be for a trailer load) and

it is probably better for it's day than ANY instruction set today. in all honesty i wish i'd bought a bunch of these old kits when the local hobby shop clearanced them out in the eighties......

Sheesh- I'm probably all alone here, but I'd like a 1/25 kit of a Farmall H! Or a Cub, even....

Its true! The tub is VERY VERY wrong! I am building one right now and 90% of the build is either hand-made, aftermarket parts, parts from other kits, or HEAVILY modified! A good friend of mine, Larry Specht, from Desert Racing Modelers forum, is also building one and he remade the tub on his. I was so inspired by his build that I went back and scrapped the stuff I wasn't pleased with on mine. Heres a pic of Larry's Scout-

061.jpg

He makes his modifications look so easy.

Heres his Scout build page--->> http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/Big...%20Trail%20Rig/

While you're there, check out his coil-over tutorial. He broke it down to a 2nd grade level.

I've been debating wether or not to rebuild the tub on my Scout or just leave it as is. I am really anal when it comes to stuff like that. I'm afraid if I leave it as it is, it will haunt me in my dreams. Here's my Scout and the WIP post.

WIP post--->> http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.p...38&hl=scout

Rolling chassis pic..

SCOUT6.jpg

SCOUT9.jpg

If you like building offroad models make sure you check out Larry's tutorials!

• 3 weeks later...
Its true! The tub is VERY VERY wrong! I went back and scrapped the stuff I wasn't pleased with on mine.

I recently did likewise- I still haven't got the 1/25 '67 A-800 I yearn for! ;)

Sheesh- couldn't Revell or somebody do a Scout kit, instead of thirty or forty more '57 Chevy and Nova variations!?

Or better still, a Travelall or a '39 D-series pickup. Yeah- build the '39 stock, or as the recent D-Max diesel powered street rod built for the show circuit by International? Yep, I'd buy a few o' them!

I recently did likewise- I still haven't got the 1/25 '67 A-800 I yearn for! <_<

Sheesh- couldn't Revell or somebody do a Scout kit, instead of thirty or forty more '57 Chevy and Nova variations!?

Or better still, a Travelall or a '39 D-series pickup. Yeah- build the '39 stock, or as the recent D-Max diesel powered street rod built for the show circuit by International? Yep, I'd buy a few o' them!

I have a 70's d-line Pick up started several years back. The plan was to stat with a std cab, and then a Travelall.

Two things to remember about a Scout , they rust out something fierce and the cost of parts will finance a college education !

4 BETTER things to remember.

1. They are iconic for the first SUV.

2. They're worth the $$$$$$.

3. They also are very appealing to the offroad scene.

AND #4. Chances are, if its a trail rig, the panels don't need replaced and more than likely, It doesn't have much of the original International drive train left to replace.

I'd still buy one if I ever have the chance (read $$$$). :mellow::P

• 3 weeks later...
Two things to remember about a Scout , they rust out something fierce and the cost of parts will finance a college education !

You don't have to tell me... my '78 is totally rotted out. Sure, I can get a fiberglass tub, but it's about three times the cost of what one for a CJ-series Jeep would be. Add that to the fact that mine is the Nissan-sourced (non-turbo) diesel, and I'm in a bigger world of hurt. Sure, I could just yank the diesel and toss in a 345, but what fun would that be. (I would love to replace the automatic with a four-speed stick, though!)

Strangely, though, the doors, front fenders, hoods, and tailgates on these puppies never rot out, but you can NOT find one with a rust-free tub or top!

Rust free tubs are out there still. Although is usually easier to find a complete vehicle with a good body. A complete is also a heck of a lot easier to haul/ship.

Conversion to a 4 speed is a fairly easy, bolt in swap.

We have about tripled the number of salvage vehicles since this was taken.

All IH light line.

parts_001.jpg

Supply and demand...

How many places carry replacement parts for '57 Chevys???

How many for IH's????

Just like model building, the aftermarket/suppliers know what parts (or kits) are fast moving, and what isn't.

For every part that is sold for an IH, 20 to 30 times more are sold for a Big 3 vehicle, so the same amount of profit for the manufactuer has to be made on fewer parts sold.It's slowly turning around, and that is being addressed, but, its a long road.

• 1 month later...
i remember seeing a tip on fixing the sloppy interior tub to body fit somewhere. i don't know why this kit appeals to me as much as it does, i have 4 of them and everytime i see another i still pick it up and think about getting more.

was the last realese of this kit with the off-road racer options the one with the little Diorama base? i think they were called Dream Scapes or something ?

Dave

I think the 'Dreamscapes' kit was actually the Jeepster Commando. I saw that kit at Dean's a couple of days ago and it jogged my memory of this thread. I know it's a bit late, but there's yer answer. The last (most recent) reissue of the Scout was the 'Hot Trucks' version and the plain (blue background) issues of about three years ago. This was the standard kit with the roof, no 'custom' parts aside from an optional CB radio and antenna were included. These kits also include some incorrectly-sized 'Rallye' decals in white, and were molded in white or light gray. I've seen only these and the original, late '70s issues (SSII, Off Road, and standard- usually molded in color), I've never seen any '80's or '90's issues of the Scout II kit- but that's not to say the kit was not rereleased in those decades.