Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT SCOUT II

• 7 months later...
15 minutes ago, landman said:

Anyone know if the engine represents the 304 or the 345? Or if they are visually similar and it could be either?

Pat, I don't think that there is a noticeable enough difference to matter in 1/25 scale. The 345 has a half inch longer stroke from what I understand and the block was made larger only enough to accommodate for that. With that said, it could be a 392 as well.

14 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Pat, I don't think that there is a noticeable enough difference to matter in 1/25 scale. The 345 has a half inch longer stroke from what I understand and the block was made larger only enough to accommodate for that. With that said, it could be a 392 as well.

Thanks Brian.I’ll just call it a Scout II engine to be safe.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2018 at 11:11 AM, mikemodeler said:

I think a kit of the first gen Scout would be a great seller, maybe in resin as I don't know if it would be as popular as the Revell first gen Bronco has been, but one can dream!

I would buy one ! My 2 cents .. Thanx .. 

• 2 months later...

Just picked the Scout SS II kit on clearance at Hobby Lobby yesterday. At $7.49 I couldn't pass it up. I already have the chrome grille and bumpers in the "purple pond" as we speak. Other than the non stock exhaust setup, the custom racing seats, and lack of a spare tire, I'm pretty pleased.

• 1 year later...

Looks like the International Harvester Scout kit is being reissued again, though not sure exactly which...hopefully with full doors this time around:

AMT 1248- 1977 International Harvester Scout II 

Edited by Casey

On 1/14/2021 at 9:55 AM, Fabrux said:

I imagine we'll see the stock version and maybe this one? Would be great to have all the grilles available.

I'm hoping so. Half doors do nothing for me, so despite this kit's major shortcomings, I'll pick one up if it has the full top. Accurate stock Rallye decals in two(?) colors would be a nice bonus, too.

1979InternationalScoutII_01_700.jpg.99b1fd95455688e43038cafc4638571a.jpg

Edited by Casey

There are a lot of interesting decal packages that IH used on the Scout line.  The 1978-1979 Rallye stripe would be a definite winner. The spear, custom, black/white panel and feather stripes would all be great options to have.

Edited by PacificEd

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2009 at 5:25 PM, Chuck Most said:

I just tried out Bob's trick of bending the hood- and man, it's quite a bit less tedious than the method I was using! It's one of those 'why didn't I think of that on my own' deals, for sure! You still have to remove a bit of material to get everything looking decent, but Bob's way is way less messy than mine!

Oh- and don't forget to add the hood peak, absent from the kit hood.

Now it's onto reshaping the grille and adding clear headlamp bezels.

I couldn't find the explanation of how to bend the hood.  The link is dead, or it just won't let me access it.  I found a 1973 grill to build the one I owned, but I'd like to flatten out the hood.  Can you post the steps in the technique for this?  Thanks!

On 8/10/2018 at 11:44 AM, ranma said:

Here is pictures of the Off Road Scout II being built. Note same tires that are used for the regular scout II Last 2 pictures were found on the internet.. Note the stock scout II rims on the Chrome tree in the Original issue of the Off road Scout ss. All the "off road"parts from this was also used for the Off road scot II but Molded in red!

DSC02151.JPG

DSC02152.JPG

DSC02161.JPG

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

DSC02168.JPG

Off road Scot II.jpg

Vintage-International-Off-Road-Scout-Ss-Ii-Truck.jpg

What paint did you use for the blue Scout with the white top and extra lights on the grill?  That looks pretty darn close to the Glacier Blue I need for my 1973!

On 1/14/2021 at 1:08 AM, Casey said:

Looks like the International Harvester Scout kit is being reissued again, though not sure exactly which...hopefully with full doors this time around:

AMT 1248- 1977 International Harvester Scout II 

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! I've been waiting for Round2 to reissue the stock offerings for tooooooo long now, especially with the vintage style box art. Looks like I'll have to order a case now. Gotta have a few for some projects I've been dreaming up. Would love to see the style of stripes in decal form that my Scout came with from the factory. I've never seen this style offered in model form before. Time to make a model of my Scout when it was factory fresh. Now, just need to find some hubcaps that look close to the stock ones.

Jeff

20190623_185031.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hm... I’m building a 80/800 from a poor 3D print... I made a friend print the free file, but it needs a LOT OF WORK....

But there is this file that’s for sale at $39. 
I might buy it, But another frien har a GREAT printer at his work... But due to corona.... working at home. 
-I have all the stuff to make a good resin body...

0B9DCE01-3DB8-4522-BB57-E8D6060B7381.jpeg

95ABFDE6-4B1A-466A-BD84-7F0F4FF2368D.jpeg

4 hours ago, ranma said:

Frankly Ford cloned the IH Scout! The Scout came out 1961 where as the Bronco 1966! 

Wow, that's taken wildly out of context.

You make it look like Mike said the Scout was a "Bronco has-been" or that he said they copied the Bronco or whatever. He didn't say anything even remotely like that.

Here's exactly his post for those interested without looking for it.

, , 

"I think a kit of the first gen Scout would be a great seller, maybe in resin as I don't know if it would be as popular as the Revell first gen Bronco has been, but one can dream!"

, , 

12 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Wow, that's taken wildly out of context.

Not really I was just stating that the IH scout was produced for 5 years before the Bronco. And so The Revell bronco was a good seller as they have issued it now to be in three different form's. Thus the Scout I think would also be a big seller since it was in 1:1 Production a full five years Prior to the Bronco "Scout" clone.. No disrespect inteneded.

Here's a couple that I am working on. The first gen Scout came from Robert Burns' Too Many Projects FB page. Uses the AMT Scout kit as a chassis and interior donor, hood molded shut. Clean and crisp. The second one is a custom half cab I need to finish.

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

• 2 months later...