Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT SCOUT II

Good to see the Scout coming back!  I paid an obscene amount for an original many years ago before the AMT reissues. I have a couple of those, including one that’s about half finished. I even made a stock bench seat for it.

This was a kit that Ertl did before the AMT era. Not a bad kit from that era, the major shortcoming is the under hood detail. The Scout is pretty busy there with uniquely shaped heater box, master cylinder and coolant and washer fluid containers.

There was someone who did nicely scratch build these details and mentioned casting them but never did so. I would have bought a few sets for sure.

I do like the pickup conversion as well as the longer wheelbase  possibilities. Note that there are nice diecast pieces of these out there.

On 7/3/2021 at 2:05 PM, Tom Geiger said:

There was someone who did nicely scratch build these details and mentioned casting them but never did so. I would have bought a few sets for sure.

+1 for sure. I remember that thread, but can't remember who said they were going to cast them in resin. I'd buy several sets also.

Jeff

The Grille is the real sticking point, Badly shaped and curved the wrong way. I have 4 of these. 

2 of the hard tops (including one of the original yellow plastic ones) and two of the recent Round2 Roadsters. It is a nice kit, but no better than nice. If you like Jeeps, then this kit is a natural addition to the collection. If not, it is really kinda "meh". It does however provide a blank canvas for all kinds of projects.

Rural Sherriff's Cruiser, Baywatch Style Beach Patrol, Fish & Game Warden, All Out Rock Crawler, Rust Bucket Beater. They are all in the box.  I remember seeing a photo of a  ProStock Scout at one of the Early NNL's.

Good to have back.

On 7/6/2021 at 10:24 AM, alexis said:

The Grille is the real sticking point, Badly shaped and curved the wrong way. I have 4 of these. 

2 of the hard tops (including one of the original yellow plastic ones) and two of the recent Round2 Roadsters. It is a nice kit, but no better than nice. If you like Jeeps, then this kit is a natural addition to the collection. If not, it is really kinda "meh". It does however provide a blank canvas for all kinds of projects.

Rural Sherriff's Cruiser, Baywatch Style Beach Patrol, Fish & Game Warden, All Out Rock Crawler, Rust Bucket Beater. They are all in the box.  I remember seeing a photo of a  ProStock Scout at one of the Early NNL's.

Good to have back.

The good news is that Olson Bros have some parts tooled up for this, including several grilles.

46 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

The good news is that Olson Bros have some parts tooled up for this, including several grilles.

The 1973 grille fits almost PERFECTLY out of the package.  It is the actual definition of a couple swipes with a sanding stick!

7 hours ago, alexis said:

Thanks, Mike. 

I did not know about the Olson Bros, having IH parts.

Shown on their website as coming soon, they have added some grilles and bumpers, nice looking stuff as usual. Faster service when ordered on eBay, from my personal experience.

22 hours ago, fomocomav said:

The 1973 grille fits almost PERFECTLY out of the package.  It is the actual definition of a couple swipes with a sanding stick!

Great to hear. One of my projects is a 73 Scout with a 6 cylinder in it. Just trying to fab up or wait to see if anybody was going to do an early grill for them. Thanks for the info. 

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

AMT1248_InternationalScoutII_PKG_front_720x.jpg.974afb171b26c3ee9a6ccf38cf9ce339.jpg

AMT1248_InternationalScoutII_PKG_side1_720x.jpg.47b9146393ce307ed5ab3f2456b93c9a.jpg

AMT1248_InternationalScoutII_PKG_side2_720x.jpg.e644050e16fee3017ffa0b475f799cc6.jpg

AMT1248_InternationalScoutII_PKG_back_720x.jpg.0dd2cff44936c9e08789648020cf5bb1.jpg

• FUN AUTHENTIC MODEL: AMT’s 1/25 1977 International Scout II features a reduced parts count making it a simple enough project for modelers with less experience, but with enough fine detail to satisfy seasoned builders alike!
  • SPECIAL FEATURES: This Retro Deluxe kit stays true to the original with its vintage packaging but comes with an expanded decal sheet for even more decorating options! It features off road vinyl tires, a highly detailed 345 V-8 engine and transmission, authentic front and rear axle assemblies with “snap-lock” free rotation axle pins, and more.  
  • QUICK SPECS: 1/25 scale, over 53 parts, and approximately 6.5 Inches long once assembled. Parts molded in yellow plastic, clear, and chrome-plated parts. Deluxe expanded decal sheet included. Paint and model cement are required. Skill 2 rating, for ages 10+.

If That is the extent of the expanded decal sheet, they can keep it.....

What a huge disappointment.  Talk about phoning it in...... Compared to the Superb Decals in the Roadster version of the Scout II, these decals are just sad.

Once again, the Round2 Conundrum of the "A Team" and the "other team", rears it's head. This is the "Just Good Enough to get it Done" version of the kit, as presented by the "other team". I get nostalgia. But this is not a kit that needed the Retro Box Treatment, IMHO.

3 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Even though it's a very basic kit, it is nice to see the hardtop version return again. 

Yeah, with all the the work which needs to be done to the nose to correct the excessive curvature, it's one of those kits where you accept the faults, and just build it as is. It looks like a Scout when completed, just not an accurate one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just picked mine up on Saturday. 😁.Heres what's in the box. It's a straight re-issue of the original. It's molded in yellow plastic, but not quite the same as the original. My original kit is buried too deep in the stash to do a side by side comparison right now. The decal sheet is "expanded " by including new license plates, but more importantly, gage and emblem decals, a nice touch. I wish they would have included more stripe options though. The interior tub and frame are one piece. The tires are still the Goodyear 3/4 ones with the hollow backs. You need to glue the back sidewall/brake drums to the tires. They do seem to be molded in a softer type of vinyl than the originals. 

It's great to see this kit re-issued, even with it's shortcomings and lack of detail. It's quite amazing that it was even modeled at all, especially since more popular SUV's (cough...Jeep Cherokee...cough )have not. It's still one of my favorites and I'm glad to see it come back.

Thanks Round2

Jeff

20210824_064957.jpg

20210824_065247.jpg

20210824_065310.jpg

20210824_065326.jpg

• Like 1

While I'm glad to see the Scout II has been reissued I feel that compared to the expanded decal sheet's in the Scout (Super Scout) Off road, and the just issued Transtar 4070 a'  that round two dropped the ball on this issues decals. I'm happy that they added the dash gauge's, but I can not figure why they would only have 1 Scout II Decal, one IH symbol, and one red s square. Why could the have not added the side marker light decals, Tail light decals, Parking lights decals, along two other stripe designs that IH used on the real Scout II's

scout ii decals.jpg

Rick, this is another kit from the Mythical "B Team" at Round2.

Another "Just good enough to get by" kit. IMHO, All Sizzle, and not much Steak.

I know there is NOT really a B Team over there, but Kits like this really get my goat. All Hype, and very little in the box. And listed at Full MSRP too. The "Special Features" call out, is longer than the actual features, and Vintage Boxart doesn't sell kits to many folks any more, especially to kits like this. IMHO. 

I bought 4 of the SS kits. I will not need any of these.......