Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT SCOUT II

7 hours ago, ranma said:

Why could the have not added *snip* two other stripe designs that IH used on the real Scout II's

They included the '76-'77 stripes and grille (IIRC, there are three unique grilles among the various issues) this time, and by changing those two things the next time, they get another, distinct kit to sell, likely the '78-'79 version. Smart business, though it doesn't please everyone. For a kit with fewer than 70 parts, getting three distinct kits to market is a win for Round2. By the time the next version hits the retail level, 95% of the people who buy it will have no idea there were two previous versions released within the last five years.

Edited by Casey

8 hours ago, Casey said:

They included the '76-'77 stripes and grille (IIRC, there are three unique grilles among the various issues)

Yes that is but one of the stripes options , there were more choices in 1:1 Scout II's stripes. As a foot note I grew up seeing factory fresh Scout's on a regular basis . My dad worked at the Ft.Wayne  Harvester plant. My mothers younger brother worked for a few years in the scout Factory, but went to the truck plant to which he retired from Navistar in the mid 1990's.  The gate that my dad would sometimes be dropped off at was off Meyer road which runs past the Scout factory on the side were the scout's came out and sat waiting for shipping. As for round 2 changing the grill to 78-80, I think it would be more likely that a resin caster would choose to do that before round 2.

1980-SCOUTS-OUTSIDE-FORT-WAYNE-PLANT-1024x764.jpg

1980-SCOUT-PLANT-FORT-WAYNE-.jpg

1980-SCOUT-PLANT-FOERT-WAYNE-1024x772.jpg

The different grills for the model Scouts are the one year only 1976, which was the model kit molded in orange, the 1977-1979 one molded in yellow and red (offroad version), and the vertical bar one in the SS kit. And I did find it strange that they only included one of each emblem on the decal sheet and no marker light decals, like in the SS kit repop. Guess I'll have to ues an extra set from the SS kit.

Jeff

The Olson Bros parts look great, I got some bumpers and winch for the Moebius F100 and they are very well done. The decal part is baffling though, decals are the easiest thing to change/add in a kit and the fact they didn’t add any new stripes, as well as bungled the emblems, is disappointing.

Thanks, we used to call it the "zebra" car,lol. When my dad had it repainted, he didn't spend the extra money to have the stripes put back on. Just painted dark brown.

Yes, those are the stock hubcaps that came with the Scout. I still have them, as seen in the pic below. The rest of the Scout is slowly returning to mother nature, sadly. I'm trying to find something similar in 1/25 scale to use for my stock Scout build. Can't quite find anything close to them to use. Thanks,

Jeff

20180815_164405.jpg

27 minutes ago, Goose1957 said:

I'm trying to find something similar in 1/25 scale to use for my stock Scout build. Can't quite find anything close to them to use.

If you can determine the various stripe heights, I think you could come close. There are pinstripe and slightly thicker widths stripes in various colors available, and Microscale (?) has hundreds of model railroad sheets with very thin stripes, too. Fred Cady offered solid color sheets, too, which can be cut into thin strips.

*edit* Like these:

546399632_PXL_20210903_0035107142.thumb.jpg.284ca19861672a4582561b9bd87d263d.jpg

1205143917_PXL_20210903_0035289552.thumb.jpg.9899ba183f9ff8b55a5ba62c562f8db6.jpg

87184042_PXL_20210903_0035440262.thumb.jpg.665344a3549414a0fd0fe8bc71eaee92.jpg

288946247_PXL_20210903_0036355382.thumb.jpg.c6ba55266eab2b3828d6a7a31e6e7b2f.jpg

Edited by Casey

Thanks for the replies.  The stripes are the same as on the yellow Scout in ranma's post, just in white instead of black. I'm very familiar with Microscale decals from my model railroading days. I might even have those multi size stripe decals in white in my decal stash. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to start digging now. I might have bought one of those Sunbeam Tiger kits just to put away for a rainy day. Going to have to look for that also. Thanks for the great info guys.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind words fellers. Scout II goodies are ready to go. Links to selling are frowned upon here if I remember correctly but fortunately google works.

For the observant, yes, I did completely forget to take specific pics for the hood. I'd take them now but it's in very mushy rtv so I don't think they'll photograph very well. 😛

I'd have had these all ready sooner, but I really wanted to be able to include good headlight lenses and they were trickier than I figured they'd be. I'm pretty happy with 'em though and I think it was worth the effort, as I can apply the same techniques to other sizes/diffusion patterns.

Hope everyone is doing well! 

OlsonBrothers_ScoutII_10.jpg

• Like 1

Been pestering Chris about these parts and got a message on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning my order went in and let's say I will have enough parts to build at least 5 Scouts with grilles and bumpers and hoods that look far better than the kit offering.