Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT SCOUT II

It's not terribly hard to remove a bit of material from the top of the grilles (they've got a curve that's much too pronounced) and then carefully bend/flatten the leading edge of the hood to match. Most people also don't mask off the chrome and paint the body color surround (or strip/paint the whole thing and detail with BMF). With a little extra care and detail even the reissue grille/hood can look quite good.

Here's a quick comparison I did with two kits, the one on the left is modified and primed/detailed.

ScoutGrilleComparo-vi.jpg

Here's an original SSII that I built, leaving the butterscotch colored body unpainted (wish I'd figured out the grille/hood modification, but bending the hood would likely have meant the color of the plastic might have been affected):

ScoutF-vi.jpg

ScoutR-vi.jpg

Would be fun if they'd reissue this one too.

I just tried out Bob's trick of bending the hood- and man, it's quite a bit less tedious than the method I was using! It's one of those 'why didn't I think of that on my own' deals, for sure! You still have to remove a bit of material to get everything looking decent, but Bob's way is way less messy than mine!

Oh- and don't forget to add the hood peak, absent from the kit hood.

Now it's onto reshaping the grille and adding clear headlamp bezels.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

-I just got one of these kits, and there are very few things I can remember withthe one I'm gonna model, so here goes (its a "Family Build" of mine, sort of, a close a VERY close friend of the family owned it. So I had spent a lot of time with Sylvan, when he owned it and makes it worthy to build! 

ANYWAY,  His was I *THINK* a '79, Scout II, Which I know, and it had a 345 in it, and was Automatic, and had a plow on it, as well and was a light metallic (sort of) blue.... I recall, it seemingly to have white spoked "steel" wheels, WERE Those common? IF I remember correctly, I'm not sure if they were a "added" part by Sylvan or not, BUT I seem to recall them on his Scout! Then, I have to figure out something close to the color, ANYONE know the '79 International Scout color choices? And if so, where can I find the paint swatch online to see? I wanna try and match this up as close as I can get it.... BUT I'm not sure if the color that Sylvan's wore, was a factory color! -I'm normally a Mopar guy most know that, but I traded some stuff to get this Scout as an offering as the other person knew I had one in mind to model after this one my family friend had.... SO, I'm weeding for info that I just can't seem to remember for sure! 

I THINK it was a 1979,

I KNOW it had a 345 V-8, Automatic, and snow plow on it, and it was in fact a light metallic-like blue.....

Stock tire SIZE, and I THINK the wheels might have been a "choice" from IH back then, again, THAT I'm not sure of! -What were the stock "wheel Choices" if any?

Thanks guys! Any help on this is GREATLY appreciated!

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2009 at 6:48 PM, cargostar said:

There were four versions of the Scout kit. The first was a 76, with stock bucket seats, and single exhaust. It was orange on the box, and molded in orange.

I think this was the first, #8021, molded in orange:

ErtlScoutII8021orig.thumb.jpg.14fd5442efbad528144c26fb162dd59b.jpg

Then this one, #8023:

ErtlScoutII8023.thumb.jpg.62ee8936a5531126a112dd017a3a3515.jpg

Next kit #8024:

ErtlScoutII8024.thumb.jpg.96a9846ce3a4f0051670d3dd44cd63b4.jpg

Then the Scout SSII, #8030:

ErtlScoutSSII8030.thumb.jpg.e74bcfbc833fd23f697cab8fdf159f95.jpg

The 2004 AMT/Ertl reissue:

AMTErtlScoutHotTrucks.thumb.jpg.a3074378e0311fa356f88817eced95a9.jpg

And again in 2007:

AMTErtlScoutHotTrucks2007.thumb.jpg.1be08498c8e77f2d504bb4665c4ce152.jpg

Also from 2007, with slightly different box art:

AMTErtlScoutHotTrucks2007two.thumb.jpg.aa9353978ef46fea2cb734259e6fe9ed.jpg

Good info here: http://www.binderblues.com/main/ihstuff.html

Here's hoping the new decal sheet on the 2018 reissue is huge, with multiple stripe options. 

35 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think this was the first, #8021, molded in orange:

ErtlScoutII8021orig.thumb.jpg.14fd5442efbad528144c26fb162dd59b.jpg

Then this one, #8023:

ErtlScoutII8023.thumb.jpg.62ee8936a5531126a112dd017a3a3515.jpg

Next kit #8024:

ErtlScoutII8024.thumb.jpg.96a9846ce3a4f0051670d3dd44cd63b4.jpg

Then the Scout SSII, #8030:

ErtlScoutSSII8030.thumb.jpg.e74bcfbc833fd23f697cab8fdf159f95.jpg

The 2004 AMT/Ertl reissue:

AMTErtlScoutHotTrucks.thumb.jpg.a3074378e0311fa356f88817eced95a9.jpg

And again in 2007:

AMTErtlScoutHotTrucks2007.thumb.jpg.1be08498c8e77f2d504bb4665c4ce152.jpg

Also from 2007, with slightly different box art:

AMTErtlScoutHotTrucks2007two.thumb.jpg.aa9353978ef46fea2cb734259e6fe9ed.jpg

Good info here: http://www.binderblues.com/main/ihstuff.html

Here's hoping the new decal sheet on the 2018 reissue is huge, with multiple stripe options. 

I still have  a sealed ERTL Scout 11 # 8032 in my "stash." Don't know when I'll get around to building it though.

Could we please get at least the grille, wheels and push bar from the Scout SSII in this kit? Better, can we have the whole SSII kikt back. That would open my wallet fast!

[edit] P.S. Any body know if the grille is different in the two kits? Box art makes it look different, but I've never seen the SS in plastic, so I don't know. In fact is there a scan of the Scour SSII instructions? I've never seen those either.

Edited by alexis
added content

20 hours ago, alexis said:

Could we please get at least the grille, wheels and push bar from the Scout SSII in this kit? Better, can we have the whole SSII kikt back. That would open my wallet fast!

[edit] P.S. Any body know if the grille is different in the two kits? Box art makes it look different, but I've never seen the SS in plastic, so I don't know. In fact is there a scan of the Scour SSII instructions? I've never seen those either.

There's a pic posted on the first page of this thread that shows that it does have the correct SSII grille.

• 1 month later...

I don't think any of the various IH Scout kits contain a truly correct grille, seeing as the top edge (and the hood's forward edge) is too arched, right?

Now, if Round2 sees fit to correct the grille and hood, and is able to include modified/corrected older style grilles, that would be ideal...who thinks that will actually happen? Me neither. -_-  I'd be happy to see a new set of wheels and off-road style tires, along with a new decal sheet with the Rallye stripe option in black and white. No clue which tires Round2 is going to include, but hopefully not the small Desert Dog PCV tires from the Daisy's Jeep kit and others.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I don't think any of the various IH Scout kits contain a truly correct grille, seeing as the top edge (and the hood's forward edge) is too arched, right?

Now, if Round2 sees fit to correct the grille and hood, and is able to include modified/corrected older style grilles, that would be ideal...who thinks that will actually happen? Me neither. -_-  I'd be happy to see a new set of wheels and off-road style tires, along with a new decal sheet with the Rallye stripe option in black and white. No clue which tires Round2 is going to include, but hopefully not the small Desert Dog PCV tires from the Daisy's Jeep kit and others.

Better chance of winning the lottery than Round2 fixing flaws in a 40 year old kit! As for tires, probably going to be the old Gates Commando tires. 

I would rather see a new tool of the first generation Scout or even a nice resin conversion kit, but won't hold my breath! There are a few IH vehicles that would be nice to have, starting with a mid 60's pickup and a mid 70's pickup!

16 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I would rather see a nice resin conversion kit

I think that is the most likely scenario, but I fear there would be so many corrections and improvements involved that you'd end up with 65%+ being new parts. It reminds me of the Revell Jeep Honcho kit in that the body shell is a good starting point, but everything else needs a lot of help to be respectable.

I snagged some pics of eBay which give a good look at the unused parts and a built model, so you can see what you're in for.  The orange parts are from an older Ertl-era issue, so I think the wheel backs have been updated to work with "normal" kit tires?:

scoutparts.jpg.510b4bcbceb1bbf1bd149934bf8310f5.jpg

scoutchrome.jpg.b8d859bc5719d810139b510594052311.jpg

Here's a look into the engine compartment Dave referred to earlier:

scoutengcomp.thumb.jpg.f6b030d56bbc30d1c0ea8333c91f200d.jpg

A look at the underside, and keep in mind on this kit the interior tub, chassis, and engine compartment are all molded as one piece, so pretty much everything you see panted flat black below:

scoutunder.jpg.7ed6c73563f1fa244c96406a39772619.jpg

Has anyone test fit the springs from the MPC Jeep Commando kit on the Scout's frame rails by chance? Just curious if those would be an upgrade for the '80s Monogram like all-in-one leaf springs/rearend found in the Scout kit, and if they would even be a good fit. I want to say the Commando is a bit narrower than the Scout, so the axles might not work without some widening?

2 hours ago, alexis said:

Don't tease Casey!  Have you seen something?

Only what I posted above. I believe this is only a preliminary image until the box art is finalized, but they did go through the (small) trouble of adding the AMT logo, so who knows.

53 pieces. :unsure: That's not great. -_-

One piece interior tub/chassis, no understood detail, spring/axle combo, integral roof; really decreases the parts count. I had to do a lot of digging to flesh out this engine compartment:

2v2UznTNHxAUC7m.jpg

Edited by kataranga

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:31 PM, alexis said:

Don't tease Casey!  Have you seen something?

As I alluded to earlier in this thread (I think it was here), Round 2 was investigating this version as the primary plan for this kit, if the test shots played out as hoped.  Looks like that might very well be what happened....TIM 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 9:38 PM, tim boyd said:

As I alluded to earlier in this thread (I think it was here), Round 2 was investigating this version as the primary plan for this kit, if the test shots played out as hoped.  Looks like that might very well be what happened....TIM 

If I understand correctly, this is the body shell which will be included if the SSII version is in fact reissued?:

ssii.jpg.7e2912c54440d153a7c2552666fbdecd.jpg

On 3/28/2018 at 9:24 PM, kataranga said:

One piece interior tub/chassis, no understood detail, spring/axle combo, integral roof; really decreases the parts count. I had to do a lot of digging to flesh out this engine compartment:

2v2UznTNHxAUC7m.jpg

Very nice! Is that meant to be the Nissan diesel that they offered in the later model years?