Model Cars Magazine Forum

? about engine in new Ala Kart kit

Hi all,

I'm in the planning stage of a new project. I was thinking about the engine that's in the new Ala Kart kit. I know the engine in the kit is smaller than a 392. I guess my question is could this engine be used as a "Red Ram" early hemi? I think I have a set of Red Ram valve covers stashed away, but I wanted some outside opinions before going forward with this.

TIA

I will let those more knowledgeable than I chime in if they want, but this engine is much smaller than a baby hemi. If you want a better baby hemi, look for the AMT model A roadster(the original Ala-Kart kit) This was just recently discontinued and should not be hard to find. You could also wait on the release of the AMT 53 ford, which has a great baby hemi in it. I believe that it also has several induction options for it as well. I believe that the last issue of the 53 pickup had a single carb and a multi carb option for intakes. The engine in the new Ala Kart kit is more along the lines of a six cylinder block than eight.

Ken is correct about most of this, the engine in the new kit is supposed to be a Red Ram, but it's scaled too small. The '29 Ford roadster kit has the Red Ram, complete with the valve covers. The '53 Ford pickup kit has the DeSoto hemi, which has the larger block than the Red Ram Dodge hemi.

Actually guys, tha RedRam engine in tha Ala Kart kit is correct, tha Red Ram engine WAS not a Hemi.....but a PR gimmick for Dodge engines, which did not run Hemi's in tha 50s era.....I nevah saw a stock dodge with a Hemi in it until 1965, production wise. Not even sure about that, I think tha Dodge Hemi's were Factory sponsored Drag racers and yu couldn't buy one at yur friendly neighborhood Dodge dealer.

Actually guys, tha RedRam engine in tha Ala Kart kit is correct, tha Red Ram engine WAS not a Hemi.....but a PR gimmick for Dodge engines, which did not run Hemi's in tha 50s era.....I nevah saw a stock dodge with a Hemi in it until 1965, production wise. Not even sure about that, I think tha Dodge Hemi's were Factory sponsored Drag racers and yu couldn't buy one at yur friendly neighborhood Dodge dealer.

Correct engine, yes, but the scaled size is wrong. This scale engine in the new tool Ala Kart is waaaay small. Use the one from the AMT '29 A kit.

Further notes: Tha Chrysler Hemi 1st showed up in tha top of tha line BIG 4 dr. Chrysler hdtops. Tha 392 came out in 1957, I think, there was a smaller displacement engine in 1956, but it was tha same size block. I'll bet yall didn't know that 55/56 Caddys came stock with 2-Carter 4 bbls and Iron Ponys (Pontiac V-8s) came with polished chambers in tha cylinder heads and ifn I remember correctly, yu culd get a 3-2bbl or Fuel Injection on tha Pony "57" 2dr. Hdtop or Safari wagons.

Further notes: Tha Chrysler Hemi 1st showed up in tha top of tha line BIG 4 dr. Chrysler hdtops. Tha 392 came out in 1957, I think, there was a smaller displacement engine in 1956, but it was tha same size block.

The Chrysler Hemi came out in 1952, with 331 cubic inches displacement. It was later increased to 354c.i., then to 392 c.i. in 1957.

The Dodge Red Ram was originally a hemi, with 241 cubic inches displacement. I found the info on it in the 1952 Chrysler service manuals.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/059/page04.htm

I found more info at classichemi.com.

http://classichemi.com/redram.shtml

Dodge later used the Red Ram name on non-hemi engines, this may be the cause of some confusion.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Yah that's it, Barris didn't use a Red Ram hemi, at least it didn't have one in it at tha car show I went to, '65-67. But gotta say, I nevah saw a hemi in any 56 or earlier Dodge or Plymouth, they were all flathead sixes.

In fact I think that ....both of tha Hemis were truck engines to start with.

Zeb,

Hate to disappoint you, but Dodge did offer the 241cid V8 as a Hemi only, starting in 1953. It was Plymouth who lacked a V8 until 1955.

Dodge also offered, in very limited quantities, the D-501 in 1957, which was powered by leftover 1956 Chrysler 300B 354cid Hemi's as well.

As for the original Hemi being at first a truck engine, not quite true--it was available in Chrysler and Desoto cars in 1952, and spread from there to Dodge trucks, and even into the industrial engine market--several hundred Civil Defense Air Raid sirens were built using 331 and 354 cid Hemi's, believe it or not--there's one of those sirens, restored, on display at the Concord GOC (Ground Observer Corps--a civilian volunteer group who watched the skies for possible Soviet bombers in the 50's and early 60's) tower, which is not far from me. As Concord is way out in the country, some ten miles from the city limits to the north, their siren had to be heard, and I've heard it, it's LOUD! (although the unmuffled Hemi powering it is almost as loud in full song!).

Biscuitbuilder

Hey guys, I'm working from memory only here, an I was only a kid. I remember we once cranked up a 392 on tha ground, feeding tha monster from a gallon bottle of gasoline....boy howdy did thet motor blow some big holes in tha ground with tha exhausts..... :twisted: