Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Vega project!!!!

cruz

Okay guys, after much thinking and head breaking I decided to go w/ this kit. It was given to me by a very good friend so I have to build it. It's a special kit to me, I have always loved Chevy Vegas and it's time to have one in my collection. I will be doing some changes since it's an old kit. I went as far as to order a Ross Gibson engine for it even though I will be utilizing most of the kit's parts, at least 'till now. I started playing around with some rim choices I had laying around but ultimately decided to go with the Weld Stars in conjunction with the Pegasus sleeves.

71ChevyVega030-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is the kit and as you guys can see it's an antique but the body is correct even though I had to do some straightening here and there in addition to adding some plastic in several locations to even up some body lines, nothing major...

71ChevyVega015-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

These are the first rims and tires I was testing out in conjunction with the ride height or as my boy Irv would say, "the rake". They are from the Fujimi Trueno kit. My plans were to change the color on them later and Alclad them in either Aluminum or Chrome. I liked them because I prefer meatier tires than low profile tires.

71ChevyVega020-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega019-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega022-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also liked the fact that the back rims were deeper than the front ones.

These are the second set of wheels and tires and even though they looked pretty good I wasn't too crazy about the low profile look, I want some meet on my tires because they will be "communicating" with my engine choice which I will tell you about later. There are 2 different sets of rims here, I prefered the last one posted.... B)

71ChevyVega036-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega041-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega042-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega039-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

These are the other set....

71ChevyVega2002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega2003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Okay guys, the thunderstorm is past us. For my last choice of rims and tires I went with some Model Master Aluminum sleeves I had laying around. I also had some nice Weld Star rims and thought about putting them together, only I had to do a lot of sanding to ultimately introduce them into the sleeves. I love the way they came out and this is what I am going with. I already had the rims and tires for the front, bought a few spares at a club meeting for a very reasonable price.

71ChevyVega3001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega3002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega3003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega3005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

These are the ones for the front.

71ChevyVega3006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

For the powerplant I went with a small block crate engine from Ross gibson. I have heard good and bad things about these resin engines, I will make sure to make it a positive experience!!

rge402-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I still don't know which color to paint it, it will come to me down the road but suggestions are welcomed. I do like the yellow shade with the rims..... ;)

Marcos, I also like the Vega! It was a new car that year I lived in San Diego, and I thought it was a cool little car. A mini Camaro kind of.... I happen to have the '72 Vega kit, and a wagon - funny car only, as that's the only way you can build the AMT kit.

About the wheels, I'd go with the last choice. Looks very good with those sleeves in the back!

Cruz, another killer project! I say go with the last set you posted..............A bright orange would be nice for this style of car! ;)

Whatever engine you choose Bro has to be better than the oil leaking one Chevy used. I can't remember the last time I've seen an original running! :lol:

Marcos, I also like the Vega! It was a new car that year I lived in San Diego, and I thought it was a cool little car. A mini Camaro kind of...

I've always wondered if that car was meant to be a new body style Corvair had Chevy continued that model. The vents in the rear, the taillights, the roofline, all of it kinda says Corvair to me. ;)

I agree with the last set of wheels .. they look great on the car.

I'd love to see a step thru building the Ross Gibson engine, Marcos. Those have to be in the details but I've never seen one up close and personal. :lol:

Cruz , just a heads up on the Gibson engine you may need to shim it in certain areas. The detail on these are awesome but the fit can rather be crude. I am working with a Hemi Pro Stock engine and it needed some work to get it to have a clean look. Just a heads up and by the way the 5 star Welds will look good on this car. My brother friend had a Vega pro streeted back in the 80's. It was white with blue,red and yellow stripes on the door. Can't wait to see what you do with this!

Cruz , just a heads up on the Gibson engine you may need to shim it in certain areas. The detail on these are awesome but the fit can rather be crude. I am working with a Hemi Pro Stock engine and it needed some work to get it to have a clean look. Just a heads up and by the way the 5 star Welds will look good on this car. My brother friend had a Vega pro streeted back in the 80's. It was white with blue,red and yellow stripes on the door. Can't wait to see what you do with this!
Thanks for the heads up Chris, I will be posting the progress on the engine, like everything resin, I am sure I will have to work around it, wish everything resin was like Norm's and Harold's quality!! :lol: I will take pictures when I first receive it also. ;)

I have seen two still in mint condition and running! I almost bought one last year for $3500 and it still had the factory plastic on the seats! Also my grandfather has one that he has driven for years. Still drives it ocasionally! By the way, I am currently working on a Baldwin Motion "Super Vega" hood. Thanks. Jody

The first choice really speaks to me but the last one is way cool too. The other two wheel sets seem a bit too modern.

The first pic with the Watanabe's reminds me of the Cosworth Vegas. I saw a '76 about a year ago on the road. It was black with gold wheels. Looked really good and at $5000 with another parts Cosworth, I was pretty tempted. Are there any kits out there with a DOHC cosworth head for that little, all aluminum 140?

The Weldstars are a great look for a bracket or street racer. Shoehorning a small block chevy in a Vega was all the rage in the '70s and '80s. Heck, they even put big blocks in them things that would break the tires loose on a full power shift from 3rd to 4th...

I had a '76 coupe that I hot-rodded the 140 with Crane, Hooker and Holley and it was pretty fast and lots of fun to drive, and a '74 wagon with a 350 in it that had trouble keeping the back tires from spinning...

Really cool build you got going here.Its a shame that I don't see more of these vegas being built, thought the ones I have seen were really cool. If you haven't chosen a color yet what about a two-tone- Testors Dark Emarld Green for the main body color and silver down the middle of the green? I thought that would look cool and the chrome really stands out. Just a suggestion. Can't wait to see where you take this thing.

Clutch

Managed to do some more work on the Vega! Even though it was pretty tedious I finally opened up the the small vents on the rear hatch door but it was well worth it, with some paint it will definetly look better. :o

71ChevyVega4009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Back side...

71ChevyVega4011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I still have to do a bit more cleaning but it sure looks better!! I had to also add some plastic not only on the hatch but on the body, the fit was pretty bad here.

71ChevyVega4002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

71ChevyVega4004-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki