Model Cars Magazine Forum

2008 Mustang 'Bullitt' in-prog

Albert Moore

This thread is continuing proof that this forum and builders like you are an asset to this hobby. I have resently managed to pry two young lads away from the video game console. I was just finishing Revell's new 68 mustang,when it caught both of their attention. One of the boys got his Dad to buy him a 07 Revell mustang this past week and just yesterday my son says while we are at Hobby lobby that he wants to build a new mustang also. He is 15 and builds once in a great while so I jumped at the chance to hook him back in. This moring I find this thread and all I can say is WOW! This is perfect to get these two boys started. Outstanding step by step progress, and hopfully I can get a couple of young builders pointed in the right direction. Again, Albert thanks for sharing your build it is outstanding! Now I am off to find that 07 mustang I got for Christmas and join these two boys. And on a side note I was building at the kitchen table that night instead of in the hobby room---- note to self invite more people into the hobby room....mmmm more space, more chairs. I got it!!! tell the wife I need to build a BIGGER hobby romm!!!! :)

Hi John,

Thank you for the very kind compliments. Glad to see my work has inspired the next generation of builders to tackle the new Mustang kits. It is a great kit for newer builders as it is not too difficult to get a decent result OOB (the tires are the only thing that could use some help) and it is a really fun kit to build. And that's the name of the game, having fun!

Albert, between you and James Tremblett there is tons to learn from you both. the two of you bring techniques to the car and truck modelling world that are rarely used but should be more often, awesome job! while far too many think the best way to detail a model is with aftermarket photoetch and resin parts you both show how well simple paint detailing and paint techniques add the most to a model and make it look very realistic. a few well placed and well chosen aftermarket items make it nicer and add to the realism, but arent everywhere or overdone. i just wish this effort was more appreciated instead of the oooh and awe of too much aftermarket junk and overly glossed paint. :)

keep up the excellent work!

Dave

Hi Dave,

I appreciate the kudos! I have admit that I really lack when it comes to uber detailing so I use my painting skills to compensate (part of that is a result of my military modeling background). Most of my builds are 1/72 aircraft, which can be challenge to paint at times (especially the cockpits). One of these days I'll share some of my aircraft builds. Thanks again for the very kind comments!

Cheers,

Alby

PS- The Bullitt 'Stang is my second go at this kit. Here is my first outing with the Revell Mustang, which was built a couple of years ago;

DCP_5300.jpg

DCP_5299.jpg

DCP_5295.jpg

Edited by Albert Moore

This is great! Your work and commentary strikes just the right note with me to inspire me to complete my own Bullitt, and gives me some great tips to improve mine. I really like the louvers--something else I hadn't thought of, and a nice touch...thanks. Keep the posts and pics coming, OK?

Small update for today. The body has been polished out and the all the lights added. I painted the tail light panel semi-gloss black for a custom touch. The license plate is a photo reduced copy that was scaled down and then printed out. The license plate frame adds a little more bling.

100_4581.jpg

100_4559.jpg

A slight change to the interior goodies. Better printed CD cases were added (plus Forbidden's 'Distortion' was put in place of Rush's '2112'). I also added a photo-reduced version of a Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine in the back seat.

100_4577.jpg

Next photos will be of the completed model.

Cheers,

Alby

How did you do the CD cases? I like them.

Hi Riz,

I took a digital photo of the covers of a few of the discs in my collection and then re-sized them to 1/25 scale (I used Microsoft Word to rework all the dimensions and a photo-etched CD as a size reference). The covers were printed out on glossy card stock, while acetate sheet and strip styrene were used to simulate the jewel cases.

HTH,

Alby

Just wanted to know what aftermarket items you used on the interior. Does the kit come that detailed outside and in (rotors w/ molded calipers, heat sheilds, etc)? :lol: I've been looking at this kit for a while at the LHS and didn't know how good it was.

Just wanted to know what aftermarket items you used on the interior. Does the kit come that detailed outside and in (rotors w/ molded calipers, heat sheilds, etc)? ;) I've been looking at this kit for a while at the LHS and didn't know how good it was.

The only aftermarket items I've added to the interior was the photo-etched half CD and the flocking. In fact that is the only aftermarket items for the whole build period. The other modifications I did involved kitbashing bits from other kits, otherwise the rest is OOB. It does have rotors with molded calipers and chassis is well engraved/molded. Out of box this kit builds into an excellent model, except for the tires.

HTH,

Albert

• 4 years later...