Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Plymouth GTX

roadhawg

I am trying to remember, but didn't many of these 60's cars have the shoulder belts strapped above the driver and passenger along the sides of the roof? I know there were cars of this era that had this, but I'm not sure which ones... :rolleyes:

Brian, I'm pretty sure ALL U.S. made cars had seat an shoulder belts mandatory by 1968. My 69 Nova had them but they weren't connected to each other like they are now. I always wore my seatbelt, but not the shoulder belt. My wife had a 71 Pinto Squire Wagon that had the shoulder/lap belts connected,so when you buckeled up, you buckled them both, like now.

So it had too happen by 1970. Hope this helps somehow. B)

1971. I have an original Dodge Charger without belts. I had a girl friend that got into a wreck with it and they gave her a ticket for no seat belt and car seat. I went to court and represented her in the case. Cost me ten dollars. Tn. law requires seat belts to be worn and car seats as well, up to a certain age and then boosters. The seat belt law has a provision that says it's optional to add seat belts to antique cars that did not originally have seat belts, so I got out of that one scott free. I had to pay the $10 car seat fine, but no court cost or anything else. I asked the judge after his ruling about it. I told him don't take this the wrong way ( I did not want him to change his mind) but why am I charged with the car seat. She had the seat, just no way to attach it. He kinda said in in a round about way that it broke the law and they were going to get something out of it for being there .... lol. Not in so many words, but that is exactly what he meant.

I am trying to remember, but didn't many of these 60's cars have the shoulder belts strapped above the driver and passenger along the sides of the roof? I know there were cars of this era that had this, but I'm not sure which ones... :o

My Mom bought a new '68 Javelin in the fall of '67, and it had the shoulder belts mounted on the roof.

Looked kinda weird though as when (or if) you wore 'em, they looked strange just hanging there spoiling the looks of the pillarless lines of the roof.

I am trying to remember, but didn't many of these 60's cars have the shoulder belts strapped above the driver and passenger along the sides of the roof? I know there were cars of this era that had this, but I'm not sure which ones... :huh:

I don't remember shoulder straps in the GTX, but again, I was only 13 at the time. when I was 17, I had a 69 Nova, and like George said, it had the straps. They were tucked into little metal clips above the window, and never used, lol! I have no idea when they started.

My current work schedule doesn't leave me with much building time, about 3 days every two weeks, but I'm still working on this! I spent this trip home getting some paint layed down....QQ-1 Electric Blue, followed by urethane clear. I also removed the molded in door handles, and will replace them with separate pieces.

IMAG0001-7.jpg

IMAG0003-7.jpg

Theres a farmer near by with two 67's, both this same color. ones got a very, very well built 440 ( personaly seen it shift at 10,000 rpm). The other has a twin turbo charged 6.1 hemi from an SRT8, fully polished and stroked to 426 cid. I swear it looks just like them. Buitiful build

I bought a diecast '48 Chevy Fleetline because of the most beautiful blue I've ever seen since my birthday present: a brand-new '78 Schwinn Stingray; actually I was 1st reminded of a '68 Road Runner my dad worked on that happen to be almost that hue of blue. Great process! :)

Do you have any pics of this Farmers 67 with the Turbos? I am pondering either tearing into my 66 Plymouth and doing an all out pro touring build with turbos and possibly a decompressioned 440ci or just flat out selling it now that it is almost done. Too many 1:1 cars sitting around so I got to make room for work so I am trying to decide what goes and what stays! By the way the paint on your build looks great, cant't wait to see more.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, it has been awhile. I've been very busy with my job, and its also a busy time of year in my personal life....kids birthdays and such, but I HAVE gotten a little more done, and still plan to have this finished by the Southern NNL in November.

The engine is about 90% finished...I still need to add the oil and transmission pans, which I try to leave till last so I don't scratch 'em up....and the oil filter.

eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

I'm also working on making the 8 3/4" rear end from the 71 Charger kit fit................

rear1.jpg

I've also got the wheels/tires from the 67 GTX kit ready....btw, the '67 wheels are correct for a '68, because they don't have the trim rings. (The trim rings weren't available until '69)......

tire1.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm off to work again, but hopefully, I'll be back on this semi-full time again soon.

Geeze Tom, I had TOTALLY forgotten bout this BEAUTIFUL blue B-Body! 68 thru 70 Chrysler B-Bodied cars were some of the most BEAUTIFUL cars that EVER came out of Deeetroit! I'm Partial to Chargers, but the Road Runners an Super Bee's and GTX's STILL get me all geeked up! This one's gonna be a killer too! :blink::lol:

• 1 month later...

Well, here I am again. I know its about time, but trust me, I HAVE been making a little progress here. Heres the latest updates on this project, which is nearing completion...........

Got the engine finished and installed. Power brake booster is from the parts box, A/C hoses are a combination of parts from the '71 Charger and aluminum wire.

3-15.jpg

Finally got the 8 3/4 rear end from the Charger narrowed to the proper length and installed.........

IMAG0002-12.jpg

And here is the body foiled with the glass and interior installed, but no decals yet..........

IMAG0005-7.jpg

Like I said, I'm getting close.....next time you see it, it will be "Under Glass"! Thanks for looking.

Edited by roadhawg

Well, here I am again. I know its about time, but trust me, I HAVE been making a little progress here. Heres the latest updates on this project, which is nearing completion...........

Got the engine finished and installed. Power brake booster is from the parts box, A/C hoses are a combination of parts from the '71 Charger and aluminum wire.

3-15.jpg

Finally got the 8 3/4 rear end from the Charger narrowed to the proper length and installed.........

IMAG0002-12.jpg

And here is the body foiled with the glass and interior installed, but no decals yet..........

IMAG0005-7.jpg

Like I said, I'm getting close.....next time you see it, it will be "Under Glass"! Thanks for looking.

Tommy she's beautiful, I have a soft spot for this body style of Mopars. :)

• 8 years later...