Model Cars Magazine Forum

An Inexpensive Weathering Set,

I like to weather many of the vehicles I build. I find it both fun and rewarding in realism. But weathering supplies can be expensive if you go the Tamiya or MIG Productions route. Of course they are great, but for a lot of effects you can use artists pastels ground up and brushed on. Here's a set available for $5.99 at Hobby Lobby (and much less with their regular 40% off coupon) that includes a nice range of colors for almost all dust, dirt, mud, sand, grime effects we modelers like. Hope this is helpful.

DSCN1116.jpg

Edited by Chillyb1

not to step on toe's but the darker grays work wonders for getting a very realistic looking tire,(just remember it is easier to rub some one with a tishew,)not derectly with the crayon it's self.

again just thought i would add a little advise,take it how you like.Just my thoughts.

I sure don't want to knock the aftermarket, because they have a wide range of great products...

but sometimes "model-specific" products from the aftermarket are pretty expensive, and you can find a much cheaper (and just as effective) substitute elsewhere. This pastel set is a perfect example. Great tip, Chilly... :D

I failed to mention in the original post that the most useful set for us scale auto modelers is one containing earth tones. There are several varieties of this and other brands, but most I've seen have one comprised only of earth tones.

I do hope this is helpful as these seem like a pretty useful item. Elsewhere a modeler mentioned that one can mix these pastels with water to whatever consistency you desire and can be applied in liquid and semi-liquid states to suit your weathering needs. I'm going to be experimenting some and will post photos if I come up with anything interesting.

I have a large set of pastels (probably 50 different colors) that I got as a present maybe 30 years ago. I haven't painted much with them, but have used them a lot for model building. It's great to have a large set like that, because you can also use them to highlight things. One example is interiors, where you can use a darker tone of the base color to give texture and recessed areas more depth. Really useful stuff! :D