Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boot Hill Express

Tommy Kortman

I built this about a year or so ago. It was the re-release from Revell-Monogram. It was molded in that lovely orange plastic. Research showed that this car has changed a little over the years. The steering column and wheel have changed a few times. and the suspension has been changed a couple of times too. At one point the car had a roll hoop attached for drag strip exhibitions.Currently the car has purple and orange pin striping. I tried to replicate a version that i had seen in and old ISCA show car program.

The injector tubes are scratch built from aluminum tubing. Some of the bright work is polished aluminum flashing.

I hope you like it.

100_0524-vi.jpg

100_05273-vi.jpg

100_4446-vi.jpg

100_4438-vi.jpg

100_4440-vi.jpg

100_4441-vi.jpg

100_4447-vi.jpg

100_4442-vi.jpg

This guy is modified from the skeleton in the kit. I cut him apart at the joints and added wire between the joints so i could pose him in the classic gunfighter pose.

100_4443-vi.jpg

I always thought this was a cool Show Rod.

Man that looks terrific and I can remember when I use to have one of those in fact I still have the skeleton & the Boot Hill grave headstone in my collection somewhere. You've done a great job on the paint work as well congrats on a model well built.

Dingo :unsure:

This is one of my favorite builds by Tommy. You don't have any idea of how much work and research Tommy put into it, but the results show it. It has the correct color shades (HOK paints), even the stanchions on the top have that subtle difference in shade that is observable in the real car.

All that research would not have been possible at that time without your help. Muchos Gracias Amigo.

Excellent job Tommy. Probably the best rendition of the Boothill I have ever seen. You really set the mark with this one!!

Scott

Have I seen this on a "showrod" site before?

Thanks Scott.

No it has not been on any other site than this one. I did have it at NNL East a couple of years ago where it was photographed by our most benevolent leader.

Yep, there Partner, She's a loookin mighty ready ta roll up the Ol' Boothill! NICE ,CLEAN Build!!! That was always one of my favorite models, Cas in real life, it WAS made from an old hearse! I always wanted to try to convert it back! :lol: But you dun GOOOOD on this one Tommy, ya dun her right!

Tommy, I remember seeing this build at the 2006 shows, and was blown away by the detail and craftsmanship. Simply beautiful, and a very cool diorama. My all-time favorite show rod, and you really nailed it. I built this when it first came out, and always wanted to do a better detailed one (maybe somewhat close to yours :lol:!). I did recently score a couple of these kits, an original version and a re-issue (both un-built) for 5 bucks each!

Tommy, I remember seeing this build at the 2006 shows, and was blown away by the detail and craftsmanship. Simply beautiful, and a very cool diorama. My all-time favorite show rod, and you really nailed it. I built this when it first came out, and always wanted to do a better detailed one (maybe somewhat close to yours :blink:!). I did recently score a couple of these kits, an original version and a re-issue (both un-built) for 5 bucks each!

Go for it!! This was a good kit to build. Although it did need some work. Remember, it's an old mold. If you do take a crack at it, I'd be glad to help in any way I can. Let me know. You're gonna love trying to cover that orange plactic.

that's pretty cool I like the base and repositioning of the skeleton not to mention the car. also this is such a stand out show car it never occurred to me that it would have the changes that you called out .which is a valuable lesson on the importance of research.

Thanks again guys! I sometime think that the part of this hobby that I like the most (aside from the friends that you make) is the research stage. I love that discovery phase and the feeling you get when you discover something new. I especially love it when you can disprove those "they never built one like that" statements. For this project however, the research would not have been nearly as extensive as it was without my good friend, fellow club member, and fellow MCM board mate Fernando Roman. At the time I started this project my access to the internet was extremely limited. Fernano was kind enough to help me out and was able to really get me some quality information. It was his info that showed me how much this car had changed during it's lifetime. In fact it was through his photos that I was able to determine that the Valvoline decal on the Fuel tank inside the car was only applied to the R/H side of the tank. (I dont think I included a pic of this.) He was even able to get me some photos of the original coach before it was transformed.

boothillstock.jpg

Here is the display card I made for the model.

TommyKortmans2006FavFive-14.jpg

I just found out that if you would like to own this piece of American Automotive history, it will be auctioned of by RM Auctions on Sept 29 2009 in LA.

Check out the link.

RM Auto Auctions - Boot Hill Express

• 11 years later...

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngI was never happy with the wheels and tires from the original kit, so I pulled off the kit wheels & tires and used my Speed City Resin 18" 12 Spoke Mag Wheels on the front and  American "Torque Thrust" 16" Mag Wheels on the rear. The rear slicks are MPC M&H Racemaster Slicks (now available in the AMT parts pack).  It's a much better improvement to this old (built in 1992)  model. I also had to make my own "Candy Gold Color" as I couldn't get candy gold at that time.