Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tires for LSR Model

Hi guys

Gregg love your MODEL CARS Mag I get it every issue and I'am getting a subscription for Christmas no more going to the book store. You and your staff are doing a great job keep up the good work you do.

Jairus what can I say about your Art work what a talent you have your drawings inspire me to build. And your talent as a model car builder is great also. I need help with what and how tire question I'am building 53' Stude LSR Bonneville rear engine full body pan streamliner. I remember Jairus you build one with a Allison engine a while back. What kind of tires do you use to look like they can handel 200 plus MPH. I have looked for 1:1 examples on the net but can't fine any. Love the Forum you have here. Thanks for any help with this. Lou Kolar proud member of C.P.M.C.C.

Hey Lou, welcome to the site.

You may want to look for the tires out of the Mickey Thompson Challenger I land speed car. I really don't know how accurate they are but I would assume they would be close to what the car ran at the time.

You may also want to look at the O-ring selection your local hardware store should have. You may find something there that will look good.

Mark@MAS

www.mas-parts.com

• 3 weeks later...

Lou,

I am sorry for not responding sooner but Mark really nailed this one for us however, I would like to welcome you to MCM forums! WELCOME!

Gregg and I were traveling when you posted your question. We only responded if need be and since Mark was so helpful....

My input would be to say that if the car your modeling is period, then street tires might be fine as that is what I used on my Allison LSR car.

I used Basic AMT 60's model car tires (no markings) and lightly caked a little flat white paint and some baking soda to the treads to cover up the pedestrian nature of them. However, Marks suggestion of using the wheels from the MT Challenger is a good one!

By the way, this question is going into the magazine... hope you don't mind? :)

I have used the front tires from the Monogram Pro Stock kits. The tires are high speed, light weight, modern (sort of) and LSR cars don't need alot of tread. The kits have not been out for a while but are pretty cheep at the swap meets, remember ProStreet?. Good wheels too!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys

Gregg love your MODEL CARS Mag I get it every issue and I'am getting a subscription for Christmas no more going to the book store. You and your staff are doing a great job keep up the good work you do.

Jairus what can I say about your Art work what a talent you have your drawings inspire me to build. And your talent as a model car builder is great also. I need help with what and how tire question I'am building 53' Stude LSR Bonneville rear engine full body pan streamliner. I remember Jairus you build one with a Allison engine a while back. What kind of tires do you use to look like they can handel 200 plus MPH. I have looked for 1:1 examples on the net but can't fine any. Love the Forum you have here. Thanks for any help with this. Lou Kolar proud member of C.P.M.C.C.

Back in 1976, when I was doing freelance builtups for AMT Corporation, they came to me for suggestions as to their '37 Chevy coupe kit. I worked one up very quickly for them, using the crazy 2-piece Firestone Indianapolis tires they were putting in their reissued Watson Roadster kit--used the front wheels all around--they grabbed that idea, and ran with it in a kit.

Firestone supplied their Speedway Special racing tires for Bonneville, with the shoulders of the Speedway tread ground off, for several years, from the mid-1950's through the middle of the 60's, and those can be found, not only in the older AMT Watson Roadster kits out of the 70's, but can also be found as the front tires in the old Monogram Indy Roadster kit, mounted on early Halibrand solid mag wheels.

Biscuitbuilder

• 3 months later...