Model Cars Magazine Forum

White on White

If you have a model that is molded in white, and you want the final product to be white, what paint are you using to achieve this? I just don't like the white of the factory molds. I haven't had great luck spraying white enamel, it seems to not look very good. I was thinking of going with laquer, which white laquer do you guys suggest?

Hello,

I would go with lacquer. If you use enamel clear, it will yellow over time, more sooner than later. Lacquer is usually harder so it can be buffed and polished more aggresively. Been a solid color, clear is not mandatory, but I recommend using it as an extra precaution. Lacquer clear should not yellow over time.

Lacquer however, usually requires primer because it is very hot. But I've heard people spraying Tamiya lacquer over bare plastic. I've never tried it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

I have to concur with what the guys already said. I like using Tamiya whites, primer too.

Here is my Isuzu Impulse painted with Tamiya TS-07 Racing White over the bare plastic. and no clear.

imp8-vi.jpg

If Tamiya is readily available to you I would go with that. If not then try an automotive store, but make sure you utilize a good primer/sealer.

Chris

Tamiya paints work very well right on bare plastic for me. Never had a problem with it being too hot. But a thin coat of primer will aid in adhesion which is very important if you are going to do any masking over the paint later. I have pulled Tamiya paint off with tape when it was painted on bare plastic. Only once, learned my lesson...

As always great information. Thanks for the feedback. I have used the Tamiya laquer on bare plastic, no problems, however all of the cars have been in colors other than white. As suggested, I will start using the primer immediately. I just ordered some masking materials, so thanks for the heads up on the need for primer on those occassions where masking is going to be utilized.