Model Cars Magazine Forum

stripping diecast..

jeffb

I used a can of "Auto Strip" aircraft paint remover that I bought at Wallyworld, and it was amazing how fast it worked. It's really caustic/dangerous stuff-use utmost care and caution to do the job (stripping gloves, eye protection, old clothes, old toothbrush to scrub, work outdoors), but it works in seconds-the paint immediately starts to lift/bubble up before your eyes. I had a diecast model stripped clean and ready to repaint in the period of 20 minutes, which included cleaning up the rubbermaid container I stripped the body in. Make sure there is nothing but the diecast body present; plastic parts won't survive!

Those other strippers will eat up your hands if you don't use gloves. Try 90% Rubbing alcohol works great too according to Gregg. Plus, it won’t hurt plastic or your hands.

That's what I use if possible for prepainted plastic models, but for diecast w/o any plastic the heavy-duty stuff is incredible. And I like to wear gloves even w/the strong alcohol. The alcohol is also flammable. I have a stripping tub of 99% alcohol that I bought in a gallon jug from the grocery store.

I found my pics of the Auto Strip process in my Fotki:

This is what a diecast body looked like after a few minutes with Auto Strip:

Stripper-vi.jpg

This is what it looked like 20 mins. after I started:

StrippedVic-vi.jpg

Has anyone tried dunking a diecast in the alcohol bath? Does it really take that paint off as nicely as a prepainted plastic kit sheds it's paint?? I always assumed the diecast models were painted in a much stronger paint. Maybe this will be a good experiment from my graveyard of $6 Maisto models who sacrificed wheels/tires and LHD dashboards for their plastic brethren :wink:

• 2 months later...

I have used with different results e-z off oven cleaner or it's cheap dollar store cousin. not as fast as the industrial stripper, but it won't make ya sterile either. i had 1 bad reaction on a stock car body but I think it was from spayng it and needing to do something else and forgetting about it for a few days. it attacked the metal body and required lots of scubbing and sanding to get ready for paint.

Rubbing alcohol has sum water in it. I don't know if that could be a problem with metal bodies. Denatured alcohol has NO water in it, might be better. :wink:

Zeb