Model Cars Magazine Forum

GRILLE BLACKOUT

I stopped using 50/50 black 3 plus years ago. I wanted to try something out with a new pen I bought that I originally thought would work well with other detailing.

The pen is PIGMA MICRON 005 #1 Archival Ink made for acid free environments. The tip is 0.20mm width. These come in other sizes and colors too! This one particularly fits right between most grille bars so you can black out the areas that should be "see through". It takes maybe a day to completely dry on chrome surfaces. (made for paper so what do ya expect?)

The ink lays right now, sometimes you might have to change angles while "coloring" the area to make sure it spreads to all edges evenly. I use the pen for doing gages, dash detail such as glove box door lines to make them stand out. You can do a lot with these things!

Here is a picture of the pen tip compared to the spaces between grille bars. Only half the grille is done here.

The main reason I use these over mixed black and thinner, is because when I am done the chrome bars (stuff that should be chrome) actually stands out a lot better. With the paint mix from a brush it's dulling the chrome parts that you want to show up bright! I hope this makes sense...

The pen is under $5.00 at most art supply stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

(look closely at the very end of the tip and see a tiny black tip)

100_1970-vi.jpg

i bought one of the pigma pens yesterday, hopefully it works better then the zig milleniums ive been buying. after a couple of uses they are dead. not out of ink but just wont write on anything at all.

Not sure if I pointed it out before, but sometimes the Pigma pen will act like it's not writing. You have to twist as you draw and go at different angles sometimes. It's not because of the pen, but it's because of the "film" on the chrome..something on the chrome makes it hard to apply at times...so what I do is wash the chrome in warm soapy water like in Dawn dish soap to remove any film, oils from skin etc..

OH.....and they come in other colors too! Imagine some of the smallest details you could add with them!

Edited by awbcrazy

Not sure if I pointed it out before, but sometimes the Pigma pen will act like it's not writing. You have to twist as you draw and go at different angles sometimes. It's not because of the pen, but it's because of the "film" on the chrome..something on the chrome makes it hard to apply at times...so what I do is wash the chrome in warm soapy water like in Dawn dish soap to remove any film, oils from skin etc..

OH.....and they come in other colors too! Imagine some of the smallest details you could add with them!

Im with bob on this one. Ive been using these on my grills, dash board vents etc, panel lines, For quite sometime. I think i got every Size there is plus the colors. And he is right, Sometimes its the Chrome itself, Heres what i do, if it wont right in the recess of a grille cause of the film, Take a toothpick, and hit the recess back and forth a few times and its scuffed up enuff to use the pens :lol: Well happy modeling