Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have wheel trouble

I believe this is my first post(been lurking) so first I will introduce myself:

Greg 36 year old from philadelphia done models as a kid and just got back into a few moths ago and I've already converted my garage into a work area completed 6 models and filled a tub of new models to do.

Anyway its nice to meet everyone and I hope someone can explain

1. How do you mount aftermarket wheels?

2. How do you mount kit wheels w/o having to glue them?

Thanks in advance

Edited by ponyxpress

You can get some plastic rod or metal tubing that friction fits into the wheel or poly cap and drill/cement that to the mounting points on the car, then the wheels should just mount. Each wheel seems to be different in the way they mount as is each model so there is no easy answer here.

To be honest, I rarely ever build a car that has rolling wheels. That is leftover from my younger days and has served me well. Rolling wheels lead to things like rolling cars. Rolling cars like to roll off gently tilted (and sometimes level) shelves and are prone to little fingers wanting to play with that shiney car...

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

:) I think rolling wheels are a leftover from the early days of modeling when model cars were though of as toys, not an expression of your creativity. I also glue my wheels solid, it makes it easier to correct any problems you have with the stance. Nothing worse than a model setting on 3 wheels, and yes I've built my share of cars with one high wheel.

Welp, guess I'm the ONLY odd-ball here, caz ALL my wheels roll! It's like was already said, it's kinda hard to pin down,caz alot of Manf. DON'T mount their wheels the same way. Personally, I'm SO old school that I STILL like metal axles! :)

I think it'll depend on what method your model uses. Tamiya kits have a pretty good system,with little poly caps that hold the wheels on, an most American Manf. seem to try to use the most confusing methods they can come up with! One reason I still like metal axles! :P But, that's jus me. (or is it?) :o

Welcome to the show!

Having a well supplied workbench is a good thing to have. You want to check out the various glues other than 'model cement', and consider having some various plastic and metal tubes, rods, and wires. Below is a pic of some of my stash. The "piano" wire I tagged for the drill bit number tto use. I'm always using that. Plus there is aluminum, brass, and plastic rod. All those items can be handy when fastening wheels, etc. You will need a 'jewelers drill bit' set from #60 to #80, and like the plastic sheet and rods, and wires, they can be found at any well stocked hobby shop. Look for brands like K&S for metal supplies, for plastic look for Evergreen, or Plastruct.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

DSC00003-vi.jpg

The model companies go to the trouble to make the so they can roll . I build them to roll . That also makes it much easier to switch wheels and tires if I want too later on. There is nothing worst than me buying a built up model and all the wheels are glued on . You have to cut them off most of the time . Then you have to figure out how to make new axle stubs. I am like George. I like the old metal axles.