Model Cars Magazine Forum

And here I am showing off one of my oldest projects

tim boyd

Tim Boyd Van Project

DSC_0344-vi.jpg

DSC_0349-vi.jpg

Here's a never-to-be-completed van project circa late 1976/early 1977.

It's the AMT Ford Econoline, customised with a widened lower rocker panel, scratchbuiltfront bumper and wheel wells, a lowered door window opening, scoop in the hood, and the rear end changed with a side panel insert in place of the rear doors to continue the side depression around to the rear. Don't really recall why I stopped working on it.

Dug it out and photographed in this week as Steve Perry is working on a somewhat related project and I wanted to show it to him. Plus, I keep predicting that 1960's and early 1970's vans are going to come back big in the 1.1 scale rod world (we'll see!)

A few more pix at the link....

Thanks for looking....TIM

TIM, the time frame of your project is the same as when I built my Chevy van. It was completed in time for the Hot Rod Show in 1977. Later, in early November it was stolen from a display case, in a hobby shop..... Only pic I have is a yellowed newspaper clip.

So, will you ever finish this one? A flashback to the disco era. When life was simple and good,...... right?!

Edited by Modellpularn

DSC_0349-vi.jpg

ya i think that is really cool, i can see it all painted up,maybe 5 or 6 colors of candys with some fades here and there, i love the old vans of the 70's, thats how i learned to paint,when i was 15 i worked in a custom paint shop after school and this was in 1975 so you know we did a lot of vans, i just sold my real '68 Ford Econoline van 2 years ago, fat tires,black with flames bumper to bumper !man i dig those vans!! ill have to dig out a picture of it and post it, your rite tim i wouldnt do anything with that van, its cool just the way it is,now maybe start on a new one,that would be cool.!!!

Edited by gseeds

• 1 year later...

That's pretty cool Tim. You really need to paint it and finish it up. I have a similar project with the Revell Chevy van from the race set. It was my first top chop. It's languishing in a box with only flat black paint applied so far.

How does an old post from two years ago suddenly pop up??? :P:blink:

WE always have new members going through the vast library of old posts and they can't resist commenting on the magnificent things we have said .. or shown! :)