Model Cars Magazine Forum

photo displays?

ok heres the deal, i keep seeing photos of models in scale garages and i think thats great, so great in fact i to would like to put together a garage display that i could to take photos of my cars. but heres the delima, i know nothing about how or where to start in the construction of said garage and would like some help or ideas of how to persue and construct a scale building.

HI...I HAVE DONE A FEW , FIRST OF ALL ,MAKE A RESERCH , GET SOME GARAGE SCENES FROM MAGAZINES , [NASCAR ARE THE BEST], PHOTOS , YOU CAN ALSO ENTER ANY LINK AT THE INTERNET...[GARAGE SCENES] MAKE DRAWINGS OF WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO . THEN CHOOSE THE SCALE . I ALLWAYS DO ONLY 3 WALLS , TO MAKE A EASY VIEW FOR THE SPECTATOR . ONE OF MY BEST RESOURCE IS ''SCALE EQUIPMENT '' THEY HAVE EVERTHING YOU NEED FOR A GARAGE . FROM MOPS TO TOOLS , AND GREAT FIGURES TOO. I MAKE MY WALLS FROM MATTBOARDS AND FOAMBORDS . IT IS A VERY LIGHT MATERIAL . BUT IT IS VERY EASY TO CUT AND MANAGE . I ALSO DO MY DIORAMA BASE WITH FOAMBOARD. IF YOU ARE USING THE 1:24 SCALE THAT MEANS THAT EVERY 1/2'' IN A REGULAR RULLER IS A FOOTLONG (12'') IN REAL LIFE. SO , IF YOU ARE MAKING WALLS OF 8-0'' TALL , YOU WILL DO IT AT 4'' TALL FROM A REGULAR RULER. I GET MY DOORS , WINDOWS , AND OTHER DIORAMAS ACCESORIES FROM TRAIN HOBBY SHOPS , THERE SCALE FOR 1:24 IS ''G'' SCALE ...HOPE THIS CAN HELP IN ANY WAY , YOU CAN MAKE ANY QUESTION YOU LIKE , I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP...BARBO.

thanks for the info barbo. i was at the hobby store after i wrote this, and i noticed that the styrene that i have been buying comes in different patterns like v-groove siding and all kinds of rods and tubing. it says for architectural and military so i was wondering could that stuff be used?

HI...........jhwelch5 ..YES YOU CAN ALSO USE STYRENE , AS WELL AS BALSA WOOD . STYRENE AND BALSA WOOD COME IN DIF. CHAPES AND SIZES . I AM ALWAYS EXPERIMENTING WITH DIF . MATERIALS , JUST START WORKING WITH WHAT IS BETTER FOR YOU TO HANDLE , THEN MOVE TO OTHER MATERIALS .........I WILL SEND YOU A PHOTO OF A GAS STATION THAT I BUILT , USING A COMBINATION OF MATERIALS , STYRENE , BALSA , MATBOARD , FOAMBOARD AND PLASTIC . SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT IS , THAT NOT ALL THE MATERIALS GLUE TOGETHER THE SAM WAY , SO YOU WOULD NEED TO HAVE DIF. GLUES WHEN USING DIF. MATERIALS ....BARBO.

• 2 weeks later...

garage.jpg

its still under construction with lots more details to add, basic timber (mdf) for construction ,painted with good ol rattle cans, and using fujimi tools as well as various parts from here ,there and everywhere that ive been collecting, checkered floor is kitchen contact from kmart.exit door is scrathbuilt with machined lockset and deadbolt ,hey Im no diorama king so anyone can give it a go!

I don't know if I ever showed you this piece I did years ago. While at FM, they were trying to do a garage diorama. The project was pretty much dead after many attempts to get the right feel. So, I offered to give it a stab. This is what I brought in. The car was my friends DM model of his actual car. They really liked the garage and it became a program, the Corvette Diorama. They wanted it in a shadow box and wanted me to tear this apart and put it in the box. I told them I'd make another one-and I did.

Garage.jpg

I don't know if I ever showed you this piece I did years ago. While at FM, they were trying to do a garage diorama. The project was pretty much dead after many attempts to get the right feel. So, I offered to give it a stab. This is what I brought in. The car was my friends DM model of his actual car. They really liked the garage and it became a program, the Corvette Diorama. They wanted it in a shadow box and wanted me to tear this apart and put it in the box. I told them I'd make another one-and I did.

I can't speak for the others but I've never seen that one George.

Very nice!

Hey George, that is one fine looking diorama.

Just add my two cents here. I use the foam board from Walmart, and just scale everything to the right dimenions. I use the computer and printer to print all the "wall art" like doors (both walk thru and overhead) posters, calendars. Only your mind will limit you. I also picked up some black and white checkard shelf paper that is sticky on one side, and used it for the floor of my garage, it looks to be just the right scale for large tiles. I also used a very thin strip to cover up the seperation in the two colors I used on the walls.

Bob