Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Snowball 2'

Abell82

Glad to hear and see it made it safe. It had a long trip.

By the way, was there ever a discussion on what sort of build this would be? Is it going to be a traditional rod or something more contemporary or are you guys just winging it on whatever the previous guys did?

There have been many suggestions, but it's really boiled down to just winging it. I believe.

I posted a topic in the general section to see how many people frequent the Community builds section. Interestingly nearly 1/3 of the people that responded did not visit this section.

Perhaps a new sign up in the General section would rouse interest in this subject once more?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the message that roadhawg would be too busy right now for the build and then received the PM from Billy aka BK customs that he was next in line. I PM'ed him and will be sending the project off to him later in the week.

I had a hard time trying to figure out what way to go on the car. I finally decided that since the rear quarters had been replaced with 57 Chevrolet quarters, that I would continue a custom themed build. Guess it could go custom or custom pro-touring. I don't know. Always loved customs!

I redid the nose of the car using a few modified pieces from the AMT 1950 Ford convertible kit. I also built the core/radiator support to help tie the cars body together.

I gave the body a quick sanding and buzz-canned on some Dupli-Color gray primer.

Today I thought I would get some better pictures of the car and also tried out a few different tire & wheels combos.

Can't wait to see how the project progresses. Here's a link to the rest of my pictures of the car.

http://public.fotki....snowball-redux/

Thanks for letting me participate. Brad

Snowball2031-vi.jpg

Snowball2038-vi.jpg

Snowball2045-vi.jpg

Snowball2048-vi.jpg

Edited by Lordmodelbuilder

Snowball 2 has landed made it safely to Missouri! I have decided to tackle the engine for our project, i 'm thinking a 69 corvette 427 or maybe a 454. Would anyone object to using blue as the engine accent color?

Heres Snowball as I received it.

100_2313.jpg

100_2318.jpg

(sorry for the dark pics my camera was having trouble adjusting to the light for some reason)

Okay, I finally have a motor picked out. I was at Kmart earlier and I noticed a Revell 72 Cutlass convertible kit and decided to use the olds 350 Rocket since it is less common than the typical chevy big block and I will fully detail it add a custom blower and carb setup that will all fit under the hood. I will have pics later tonight!

It took a little longer than I expected but heres an update,

• Block is painted dupli color black
  • Freeze plugs painted with Testors Gold
  • Transmission painted with rustoleum silver and titanium metalizer with Testors dullcote
  • intake painted with Spaz Stix chrome over flat black to resemble polished aluminum
  • heads drilled for plug wires and painted with color place silver
  • blower mocked up

100_2341.jpg

100_2330.jpg

100_2321.jpg

100_2340.jpg

Next up is getting the blower painted and mounted and then lots of wiring!

It's not a blower manifold yet, But after some modifying it will be. :D I'm going to scratchbuild a new center section on the stock manifold to accept the blower and leave the ports alone so they match up correctly with the heads. (It's actually a lot farther along now than it was when the pics were taken)

I modified the intake to mount the blower by filing off the carburetor mount section of the intake and adding a sheet of .040 sheet styrene that I cut to the shape of the bottom of the blower to the middle of the intake and then I added about 2mm of height by adding some square rod to the border of the blower mount plate o nhte intake.

Blower was painted with testors "chrome trim" silver and a custom mix of pale gold testors paints.

100_2350.jpg

100_2349.jpg