Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Snowball 2'

Abell82

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So after assessing everything, I've decided that I'll tackle the frame/suspension part of the build. When this started, I was thinking that this was originally going to be a traditional custom but after looking at that monster motor, I imagined a 50's custom that someone got ahold of in the 70's and threw in a blown big-block and made it more of a 70's street machine but kept the original body mods. I'm envisioning bright-colored paint, Cragar SS wheels on white-lettered radials, bucket seats, etc.

So I pulled out all of the suspension/frame related parts that came with Snowball and here is what I have to work with to put the rolling assembly together. Everything you see in the pic came with Snowball. Whatever I need that's not here, I will rob the parts box for it.

3-vi.jpg

I then started by temporarily gluing the frame rails to the underside of the floorboards. I'm using Elmer's glue so that I can easily pull this back apart once I have things mocked up.

6-vi.jpg

Stay tuned......

No problems with the front but then I tried 'em on the rear. It was so tight that the wheel wouldn't even squeeze in or wiggle down between the fender and the inner fender well. :wacko:

9-vi.jpg

These cars have very little wheel well clearance so unless we went with the stock skinnies and hubcaps, I had to come up with a plan. :unsure:<_< .............. B)

I got it!

I cut the inner fender well to the width of the frame which would give me enough room. This will not be a full tub but more of a stepped-tub. It will be subtle enough that it would be hard to notice but it gives me exactly the room I need.

10-vi.jpg

And VOILA!! Plenty of room!

11-vi.jpg

Now I've just gotta pretty everything up a bit and replace the plastic I cut out. Stay tuned......

Nice to see continued progress on this.

I was once part of a club group build similar to these snowballs and it was a little frustrating waiting to see the completion which seemed like it wouldn't ever get done even though you finished your own part.