Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do I need to learn to scratch build

OK,.. SO ... I'm a redneck.. there I said it.. haha.. anyways I seriously live in the middle of nowhere so no major stores or hobby shops around .. well My grandparents are 3 hous away in St. Louis visiting family and I couldn't go because of work.

ANYWAYS to the point.

They are going to go to a Michaels for me and get me whatever I want and I'll pay them when they get home this weekend.... I honestly don't know what I need unless I see it in person and I'm like "ok that is the right thickness" etc

SO .. what packages/sizes or styrene sheets or tubing do I need

also ANY other things I should get. Tools/files (I want some if they have them) PUTTY or whatever you guy use to sculpt with.. just ANYTHING you guys can think of and the propper sizez or names

SORRY I know I'm a pain for asking this and I may have wrote this out horrible (it's late for me I had a long day) and I wanted to ask ASAP so I could get as much info before they go over there tomorrow

EDIT: also if anyone happens to have a lot of stuff laying around they don't need for cheap or w/e PM me about it and we can work something out

I'm not looking to buy anything expensive I'm just saying maybe extra not needed stuff you want to let go dirt cheap or w/e

Edited by B-dub

there is alot of stuff at michaels that can be used to scratch build stuff but you didn't say what you want to scratch build .if your grandparents are in st louis there ought to be a hobby store there which is probably going to be where you would find the plastic rods and tube ,strips and sheets .for those having a bunch of different sizes is preferable.if you are just starting out you can give glazing putty a try available at the auto parts store.when you get into major body work try out some two part catalyzing putty the kind with the blue catalyst not the red.back to michaels they have various sizes of wire in the floral dept . in the jewelery isle ther are some pliers used for bending and shaping wire (which is also in this isle but the floral stuff is much cheaper)you can also find metal foil and wire mesh ,gold leafing supplies, clay, clay tools.... dude there is just so much out there you just need to figure out what you want to build then look for the items needed to complete the task.scratch building is just a matter of breaking the whole into basic parts that can be combined. hope this is helpful also try reading through the tips section for more detailed techniques.

For scratchbuilding, I pressume with styrene, you would more then likely want a xacto miter box and razor saw. Also some good emory boards(finger nail filers) and or a set of small hobby files. Will also want a good stock of liquid glue. Tenax 7R is good, but Pro weld is just as good and usually cheaper for a bigger bottle, depending on the hobby store. You will also want either a metal piece with magnets, or something else with maybe padded clips to hold your pieces together while they cure if making such things as frames. Commen sizes I find are 1", 2" and 2"x3" stock. Also sheet plastic and flat strips. Depending on what you want to build, will depend on what ya will want for styrene. Check out JimsDollhousepages hobby scale calculator to determine what sizes you want bot standerd and metric. I hope this helps some. If you can afford it, a small hobby "chop saw" would be great for doing different angles!Jody

I dont do alot of scratch building but when I do I use stuff like .030" to .040" plastic sheets, you can get these sheets from .010" to .060" thick?, also it comes like 6"x12" sheets, you can get at some ace hardware stores, they stock some good stuff there, aluminum tubing, for scratch building distributors sizes like 1/16"X .014 stock number 8100, 1/8"X .014 stock numbern 8102, 3/32"X .014 stock number 8101, and for the wire I use from radio shack, stock number 278-502, insulated wrapping wire, 30 gauge solid core, 50' it comes in red, white, and blue, and you can paint the white wire, you can also use old dead computer mouse wire for detail, and even some old electronics, jewlery files, i found at Ace Hardware too, there super fine, mine came with 6 files and a handle i think stock number is 707-011, pin vice, and micro drill bits, starting from 61-80, or if you like .039 to .0135, i got both offa ebay for like 9 bux,

Well I hope this helps you out a lil, the stuff I mentiond can be used for different things, just gotta play.

Go to Plastructs web page and to Wvergreen Styereene 's webpage . Evergreen even has a conversion chart to enable you to scale anything to anything ! I sure wish I knew what V- Dub was wanting to build as I would be glad to help . Hey V- Dub you need to let me know what yer gonna build and what size man ! Ed Shaver

Bobby, most of what I do is scratch-building and like you I live in a very rural area (by choice). A lot of good advise has been passed on in the previous posts but let's not overlook the obvious. I'll bet you toss out treasures on a regular basis...old appliances, 'puter and printer parts, old watches, plastic signs etc. All contain parts that can be used in scratchbuilding and the best part is you don't have to lay out $$$$$.

Also, building supply stores carry aluminum flashing, wire, wood, plastic in larger quantities and are far cheaper than a "hobby shop".

One of my wouldn't be without tools is called a "nibbler". It's can be had at radio shack for 10 bucks or so. It's a tool used for circuit board work but it's fantastic for cutting small areas in plastic sheets.

Hi guys sorry I overlooked this thread. I just wanted to basically scratch build random stuff.. the whole reason I wanted to start was the death race build off and I wanted to build a car like that on my own or just random cars like that... basically using sheet plastic/tubing to cover windows and making bars etc. I just wasnt sure the thickness people used. I just wanted to mess around and try to learn different things