Model Cars Magazine Forum

more items being stolen from model/toy shows

Hi, In july a buddy of mine was packing up at the Louisville show. He is loading up his car and he notices that a box of goodies he has just bought at the show was GONE!. I just talked to another friend that lives in NM. He did a toy show there and someone walked off with an old hotwheels and matchbox cases of cars. I know that theft has always been a problem at shows(people stealing models off the contest tables), but could it be that the bad economy is bringing the crooks to model shows? r66m

wow... it never occured to me how vulnerable a situation can be. i've been set up at shows and went for a walkaround leaving my wife in charge... granted my stuff was actual car parts and such but just the same... dang.

i'd hate to think i'd been thieved by people with whom i share such an important part of my life. and actual models off show tables? what kind of ...... person.... (lack of definable term here) could simply take a piece of someone's WORK and imagination and walk away with it... knowing it was not THEIR work, their toil. gggrrrrrrrr.

perhaps the honest simply can't prepare for how the dishonest think.

Carl/ Rodger , heck Ive been a vendor myself and I sold new Early Ford parts at the Ford shows. I know exactly where ya'all are commin from . You go to a table and a bunch of people are there and not one of them is with the merchandise you wish to purchace . Yes, I agree, it's sad as I beleive in doing things right --- THE FIRST TIME AND BEING PREPARED AND ORGANIZED . If you're gonna sell at these shows , have a plan in place to releive yourself and watch your back as well as your neighbors , it's called C Y A ! Ed Shaver

I don't know if thieving has gotten worse at contests, but it sure has changed things at them. Builders/owners are now quite paranoid and hesitate to leave the contest tables for any reason. This creates a very huddled area around the tables and it makes it tough for a admirer to see everything or just walk around the tables. It's a sad state.

I've sold at a few shows before, and I always take a helper. One of us always stay at the table, while the other goes to the car, and loads/unloads, and re locks it everytime. And with 2 people at least one of us can get up and look around, at the other vendors, and contest table. Its sad the thieves are among us, they ruin it for everyone. Its like having to pay first at the gas station, or having the electronics in a case or chained to the pegs, at the store. Dishonest people, are low lifes, and should be shot ! or at least castrated !