Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/6th scale Willys 426

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and you are having so much fun I was wondering if I could play too?

If you're interested, I have a couple of on going 1/6th builds on my workbench. One is a radically hammered Willys Pickup and the other is a retro styled blown "streetable" coupe.

Let's see if I can load a pic (remember I'm a newbie here) of a 1/25th body next to the 1/6th for comparison.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

I decided to start with the engine. I wanted a streetable blown Hemi with 2-4s in 1/6th without having to totally scratch build it.

I purchased a Testors kit of a stock 2-4 barrel 426, it provided the carbs, etc. I also picked up a 1/6th Revell blown Plymouth drag engine for the blower and some of it's goodies.

Both kits had metal blocks which were too heavy for what I had in mind. Rather than cobble up a plastic block, I thought I would put the metal block on a diet. After much drilling, filing, cussing & one destroyed block I had a light weight metal block to build on.

I'm not a big fan of rattle cans and I didn't want to go with traditional Hemi Orange so it was out to the paint shed...mixed some Bauhaus Gold with Cadmium yellow and came up with Electric Bananna ( I mixed it so I figure I can call it whatever I want)!

I've installed a race type (swinging pickup) oil pan with external lines...I'll make an adapter so that I can use a spin on or remote type oil filter.

Next up will be adding some hard road miles to the block....I'm not building a trailer queen, this weekend warrior will look loved but used.

I was test fitting the giggle gas lines earlier and ran into 2 problems...some guys figure that the gas should go under the carbs to cool the fuel into the blower. Others feel it would be better to inject it into the manifold below the bower as the blower heats the fuel while compressing it....both work. I'm going with the blower manifold. The second problem is that I can't decide whether to use the black wrinkle valve covers or chrome......what works for you guys?

giggle20gas20005.jpg

giggle20gas20010.jpg

This is going to be great to watch, you have my vote for the black cover as well. Where do you get kits and parts in this scale?

P.F., Not much available in this scale, the body I'm using started life as an a 1/6th R/C car. The engines I'm working with are the 1/6th metal block series. Tons of them around. Hobby Shops, Wally World & eBay. The rest of the parts I'll scratch build and have my TDR pals RP (print) a few for me as well.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk