Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your Very First Real Car

my first car was a 1970 Dodge Super Bee.

FK5 Dark Burnt Orange Metallic Coupe.

Stripe Delete, 440- 4 Speed.

Bought it when I got my learners permit.

I was not quite 16.

my Mom passed away when I was a little boy.

some guys in suits showed up at the door of my Aunts house one day,

I thought it was the cops. refused to answer the door.

My Aunt thought I was crazy. so she answered the door,

I couldnt quite hear the conversation completely,

But my name was mentioned several times.

They were from the Social Security Administration.

I was entitled to "Survivor Benefits" and they had been looking for me for quite some time, apparently......... :)

it felt like I hit the lottery.

Looked at a TON of Musclecars, Had my eye on a couple,

a '70 Chevelle SS 454, and a '68 GTO Ram Air III.

My Auntie had a neighbour who heard of my search,

wheeled out his Plymouth GTX, took me for a ride,

I saw the light at 145 mph. A Mopar was in my future.

That neighbour & I developed a close friendship. He even went with me

to get my first car. were still friends all these years later.

&I'm still a Musclecar Nut...... B)

I had plenty before this one but my first real car was a 1978 HX Holden Caprice. It looked like it just rolled out of the dealership when I bought it in 2005. These cars were the top of the line when released and had power everything,long wheel base and a 308 V8. I was close to tears the day I sold it. The pics are not of my car because I cant find the photos of it. I searched google for pics so people who have never seen one can take a look.post-5297-066231900 1284643179_thumb.jpgpost-5297-016669800 1284643217_thumb.jpgpost-5297-060295800 1284643251_thumb.jpg

Ah heck, I'll jump in, though I will have to add pics later when I can dig them up. My first was a '68 Mustang. Red, black vinyl top and black interior, 289, automatic. Its funny, I bought it in 1981 when I was 17. Darn thing was only 13 years old, that seems so weird. I think of it as an old car, and of course it is now, but it wasn't really that old then. Bought it for $800 from its original owner, a teacher at our high school who only drove it to school (yeah, I know, how cliche). I loved that car.

I cant find any pictures of my actual first car. Ill post em if I find em. But it was one of these.

71ScampBlue-RH_Rr.jpg

A 1971 Plymouth Valiant Scamp with a slant 6 cylinder 225 c.i. engine (sound familiar?). I bought it from my uncle for $200. When I got it, it was a horrible forest/baby vomit green, so I painted it blue, then purple with a black hood and trunk and hand painted murals on both. I loved that car, I learned how to get up on two wheels in that car, and you could bash it into almost anything (almost anything, as my girlfriend at the time found out when she destroyed it) without worrying about messin it up to bad.

My first car was an 1976 Olds Toronado. No pics. It was a wrecked car with 30000 miles on it with a bent frame.I bought it for $350.00. My dad and I got a new rear quarter,door,deck lid,bumper and half of the trunk and inner fender wells for $100. After we put it on our frame straightener and welded all the panels on I had my first car. Paint had just gone way up in price at the time (1988) I begged him to paint it.He said it was to expensive and the car wasn't worth it. So I had a HUGE car with a maroon door a silver trunk,rear quarter and bumper valances. The rest of the car was red. Front wheel drive plush interior and would pass anything but a gas station.:) It looked good on one side of the street not so good on the other

1966 Karmann Ghia. Probably couldn't get into one now! :D Bought it off a Navy mechanic who was POd that he got called back to active duty right after he had transplanted a Porsche engine into it. All my friends were jacking their cars up and I was the only one lowering a car. It was a 4 cyl. 912 engine from a wreck, but it was still SWEET. Wish I had it now!!!!!!

Well i don't have a pic of my first car on hand but I did find one on-line that

does look alot like my first car except for the black on the hood and chrome wheels.

Mine had some funkie aluminum wheels on it that I do have for the model of my car.

1969 Plymouth Sport Satellite

1969SportSatellite.jpg

I'd love to have my first car back with the info and tech available today.

At least have Disc brakes so I could stop it. :D

Edited by Zukiholic

my first car was a 1953 desoto powermaster 4dr..it wasn,t fast or pretty but it had a back seat the size of a sofa. wrong car to take to the drive in if you wanted to watch the movie. the next car was a 1958 chevy delivery sedan ,very rare it had full impala trim it was built by superior for a funeral home.

my first ride was at the age of 14-15 yr old i worked at a carnival for a weekend tho get the 150.00 for it ,,it was a 71 satellite w/a burnt up slant six.. never did anythin with it but got 850 out of it .. sry no pic

but my fist car i could drive was a 69 cornet w/a 440 w/550 hp ran mid 12s on street tire , and low 12s on slicks.. w/175,000miles on the motor.. it was primer gray w/a six pack lift off hood...have a pic gotta find it ...paid 900. for it but need a lill work took me an my dad a month an a half to dial it in to a 12.....

later days fellas

The first car I ever "owned" was a 95 Ford Ranger Splash. I never really considered it mine because it was registered in my step-dads name, but it was bought for me.

The first car I ever REALLY owned myself was a 78 Ford Thunderbird. That thing was POWERFUL and FAST for the size and weight. I was drag racing 5.0 Mustangs and winning. Wish I still had it. I ended up trading it for an 86 Chevy Citation. BIG mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

My first ride is posted here, but I just came upon some photos of my daughter's Plymouth Reliant she inherited from my 90 year old aunt when she was in high school. I wish I had photos of it's last days after it became the Graffiti Car. All her friends wrote on the car .. inside and out .. don't think there was a bare spot left! I heard the mechanics at the place she traded it in spent 2 days reading it all! :(

Her name was Betty. Color was Putrid Medium Green.

Betty961.jpg

Betty962.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My first ride is posted here, but I just came upon some photos of my daughter's Plymouth Reliant she inherited from my 90 year old aunt when she was in high school. I wish I had photos of it's last days after it became the Graffiti Car. All her friends wrote on the car .. inside and out .. don't think there was a bare spot left! I heard the mechanics at the place she traded it in spent 2 days reading it all! :rolleyes:

Her name was Betty. Color was Putrid Medium Green.

Betty961.jpg

I had the 1984 Dodge version of this... this... thing.

Worst. Car. Ever. ...at least mine was. :D