Model Cars Magazine Forum

Texas DPS Charger is on the worbench - update 10-3

SteveG

These are just some of the parts I have primed and or painted, I still have another two boxes full of parts and a rack of plated parts on the way. I wonder how many I'll get finished between now and I-Hobby Expo?

Picture195-vi.jpg

Picture196-vi.jpg

Picture199-vi.jpg

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

These are just some of the parts I have primed and or painted, I still have another two boxes full of parts and a rack of plated parts on the way. I wonder how many I'll get finished between now and I-Hobby Expo?

-Steve

why are you making multiples? And I love your paint job. I live in texas and I see these beefed up chargers all the time. that kit come with the grille guard?

why are you making multiples? And I love your paint job. I live in texas and I see these beefed up chargers all the time. that kit come with the grille guard?

The Texas DSP Charger once it's finished will be on loan to Lindberg for use as Box Art and or as a Display model at I-Hobby Expo next month. I've got multiples going in case they need another one last minute or something gets broken or I just plain mess something up. If they don't need the extras I'll build my own versions.

I've already built two others, a Philly PA Expressway Patrol unit also on loan to Lindberg and a CHP "Ghost" Charger as test build made from some early prototype parts they sent me. The kit will come with a push bar as shown on the Philly car as an optional part.

Picture174-vi.jpg

Edited by SteveG

Are these out now? Or are you one of those special dudes? Lookin good so far!

Well the driver of my Little Yellow Bus says I'm a special dude but that's not important right now .... :lol:

No, the kit is not out yet, they should be available sometime this fall if all goes as planned. The Texas DSP Charger is being built from what I hope was the final round of test shots.

-Steve

I made some progress over the last few days, I've got one interior assembled and ready except for the laptop.

Picture200-vi.jpg

I've also got one chassis ready, the tires and wheels will get added after chassis is mounted in the body in case I have to adjust for level.

Picture204-vi.jpg

Here's the interior sitting in the chassis and the engine bay is complete as well. I left the engine cover off as most of the Police package cars don't have it.

Picture202-vi.jpg

I'm going to polish the body out then start the final assembly over the next few day. I'm still waiting on some chrome parts .....

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

COOL!!!! I've got friends at the Jasper County Sheriffs office who want me to build them one, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting several of these kits!

The bus drivers name wouldn't happen to be Claude would it.... That's the guy that drives me around in a little yellow school bus to the special ed classes I take.... :)

Steve! I can't wait to see these when they're done!

BTW, here in my hometown, the local Chrysler dealership is the state drop-off point for the NH State Police order... funny, as the dealer currently has only five (NEW) Jeeps, a PT Cruiser, a few pickups... and 110 new 2010 Dodge Charger 5.7L Charger Police Package cars! Some already here, some on their way. There seems to be about ten cars on the lot at any given time.

DSC00001-vi.jpg

All the cars coming in are all black. So unless the state is planning a different color scheme, it looks like us taxpayers are going to shell out for each one to have a complete repaint.

You would think on a special fleet purchase, one of the two colors could have been sprayed at the factory.

Anyhow, let me offer my Fotki Album "DODGE CHARGER- EMERGENCY VEHICLES" for reference for anyone who may need it... now if I could only have my camera handy when the next load arrives!

http://public.fotki.com/JCole/emer-dodge-charger-/

Oh, BTW, what is your most recent estimate for the kits to land in the hobby shops?

By the way, TX DPS Dept. of Public Safety, not DSP

Gary,

Texas

Thanks I fixed it !!! ..... hopefully they'll find a dyslexia cure for someday... :lol:

Last estimate I had for the kit release is later this fall. If I hear something more specific I'll pass it along.

FYI, to the best of my knowledge, any of the current Dodge Chargers that are painted all black from the factory are actually PXR Black Crystal Pearlcoat. Some dept's then paint the doors and roofs white so you get what looks the traditional Black & White paint scheme.

-Steve

What the hell color scheme is that? Looks like hunter green and mauve on my screen? lol Thanks for the reference pics.

It's hard to tell in that pic, as it is parked under an overpass. The top is close to a Champaign Gold, with some light tan mixed in. I need to find some better pics.

Here is a pic of the Ford Crown Vic using Testors enamels, British Racing Green, and Champaign Gold. The gold is a bit too intense.

MVC045S-vi.jpg

DGE200567whateverCHARGERNHSP31-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't posted any update in a while but I've been busy at the workbench trying to get at least one finished.

I'm going to catch up on the photos over the next few days. First, here's the body all polished out.

Picture210-vi.jpg

The headliner and upper interior trim were installed ...

Picture218-vi.jpg

.... along with all the glass and the side mirrors. The interior got a fresh laptop too.

Picture217-vi.jpg

I'll finally got my chrome parts too. As you can see there's another project in the works here.

Picture222-vi.jpg

Stay tuned for the final assembly and the ready for service photos ....

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

Looks good so far, after looking at my sister's silver SE in the driveway at night, I still can believe how sinister these Chargers look....especially at night with the headlights on. I've been getting the itch to build one of the Testors kits to look like one of the NCIS Chargers.....now all I need is the time and ambition to do so :rolleyes:

Steve,

Those are looking GREAT! Nice to see a well executed kit of a current police package with current equipment!! Huge kudos to Lindberg!!!

All the cars coming in are all black. So unless the state is planning a different color scheme, it looks like us taxpayers are going to shell out for each one to have a complete repaint.

You would think on a special fleet purchase, one of the two colors could have been sprayed at the factory.

Jon, If they wanted a special paint scheme, they could have gotten a special paint theme, especially for a large quantity order. You're exactly right, the factory can and will put anything they want (short of house paint) on a special order, even two-tones. It's actually cheaper in the long run to have the factory do the deed than to buy solid colored cars and add second colors afterwards. Not to even mention the durability of factory finishes versus aftermarket sprayovers.

So, if ALL the state bid cars are showing up in black, it looks like your state is changing its color scheme. Stand by!

Sorry to bring this to the top without an update, but I got the bright idea to model a CSP unit. A few questions, do both styles of wheels (alloy and black steelies) come in the package and do the spotlights come as well?

I realize it may be to early to answer these questions, but whenever you can... that would be cool!

I accidently preordered the LA Charger. Do all of the boxings come with the same parts? Because I just noticed it does not have the front guard and all CSP Chargers have the front guard and alloy wheels.

Edited by remingtonbox

Sorry to bring this to the top without an update, but I got the bright idea to model a CSP unit. A few questions, do both styles of wheels (alloy and black steelies) come in the package and do the spotlights come as well?

I realize it may be to early to answer these questions, but whenever you can... that would be cool!

I accidently preordered the LA Charger. Do all of the boxings come with the same parts? Because I just noticed it does not have the front guard and all CSP Chargers have the front guard and alloy wheels.

As far as I know, all the Charger Police Car kits will have the same contents other then the box art and the decals. So all will have spotlights and the push bar, it's up to the builder which parts to use. Same on the wheel choices which are shown below.

Picture101-vi.jpg

There may be some leftover parts from the Super Bee kit as well so you may actually have three wheel choices.

To see the finished model click on the link below.

Texas DPS Charger Preview

-Steve

As far as I know, all the Charger Police Car kits will have the same contents other then the box art and the decals. So all will have spotlights and the push bar, it's up to the builder which parts to use. Same on the wheel choices which are shown below.

-Steve

Steve-

There is some confusion on what is and is not in each box. Some say eight lightbars on the "White Car" (only?) Or are all eight in each kit? And if so, why buy the white car if the only diff is no decals?

I'm thinking "White car- eight light bars; no decals", all others, one light bar, decals for one agency.