Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 `69 Camaro Z/28 Cross-Ram.....Huggar Orange

Hawk312

This one is basically the same as the black one, so I will just copy and paste from that thread:

This is yet another build up of the Monogram 1/12 Z/28 kit, with alot of detail and scratch building added. My goal again was to create these as new from factory as you might see them on the showroom floor. The license plate, inspection sticker, registration, and dealer window sticker were all reduced versions of the real thing from 1969. The Model Car Garage photo-etch detail set was added. I also added brakes lines, wound springs, and aluminum exhaust tubing. I tried to simulate accurate labels and chalk markings on the firewall, exhaust, axle, and front and rear springs, as well as other spots on the chassis. "Lettering" was added to the ignition wires and heater hoses, and any other hose or wire I found on the engine that could use it. Simulated wood was painted on the dash, steering wheel, and center console with a very small brush. The interior was flocked for an accurate carpeted look. It was painted with many coats of color and clear lacquer (I forget how many, but ALOT), and then wet-sanded and rubbed out with three different grades of compound. Bare metal foil was used throughout.

orangegood.jpg

orange3.jpg

orange6.jpg

orange5.jpg

orangeengine.jpg

chassis.jpg

Also took some pics of them together:

best.jpg

best2.jpg

best3.jpg

I've a few of these kits in my stash to build, and after seeing these two jewels, it really makes me want to get busy on a couple of them. The finish you got on both cars really sets them off beautifully. Absolutely stunning work on both. I've always been partial to the Hugger Orange on the 69 Camaros and you did an awesome job laying that color down and making it shine. The underside detail is awesome as well.

How were the photoetch sets to work with for this car? I have been meaning to order at least a couple sets, but have held off due to not seeing any cars built up with this set. From the looks of things, that photetch set is alright to work with. Just wondering...

Thanks again everyone!

93Z, the detail set is great, and I can`t imagine building one without it. It is frustrating sometimes when gluing the emblems on, but worth it in the end. The emblems also have a goldish tint to them, so I usually end up spraying them with chrome paint for an accurate look.

The weather was nice today, so I decided to take some more pics, since I wasn`t happy with the way the others turned out.

Here you go!

rightsidetop.jpg

rightside.jpg

leftside.jpg

leftsidefront.jpg

leftsidetop.jpg

• 2 years later...

Thanks everyone! The kit is a great kit, as is the Corvette kit. I`ve been searching through my pics, and I have alot of interior and engine pics of all my 1/12 scale builds. I`ve been debating this, but maybe I will just put them all in one thread? I know there are a few here that I`ve never posted on this board.