Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg '67 Olds 442 W30

Chuck Most

Isn't it cool to have Lindberg kits back? Since I can't see any of you, I'll just assume that you are nodding your head vigorously enough to shake your special headgear loose. Good!

I'll get my two gripes out of the way first:

1. The box art features the 1:1 car, not the model. I hate that- it just seems that the model manufacturer has no pride in their product, and can be a bit misleading (like the Lindberg '48 Lincoln kit). Then again, that knife cuts both ways... remember the AMT '69 Daytona that oh so OBVIOUSLY had the chassis from the Road Runner/Super Bee and a bunch of stuff under the hood that was not included in the actual kit? But anyway, the last issue of this kit also featured a photo of the 1:1. I'd rather see the model on the box!

2. Lindberg still, for whatever reason, does NOT bag it's chrome sprues! Nothing kills the buzz more effectively than cracking open the box and finding chrome that's all scratched up, though happily this was not the case this time, and at least Lindberg DOES bag the clear parts.

Okay, now... what do you get?

Well, what you get is actually a pretty nicely done rendition of the '67 442. The chrome trim and door handles are separate, along with the rear window trim. The 14" Magnum 500 wheels are pretty good, as are the Firestone Super Sports, which bear an uncanny resemblance to AMT's versions of same.

The engine is nice- down to the twin-snorkel air cleaner housing for the 4-bbl. carb. Unlike Lindbergs '72 Challenger, which proudly proclaimed "Exquisite interior detail" when the interior was so NOT exquisite (or even detailed, honestly B) ) this one is, equally on par with AMT's '66 442 kit. Chassis detail is also far into the realm of what I'd call 'decent enough'.

Decals include several underhood markings, and the fadaway-motif graphics for the 442 badges.

And the price is right... less than fifteen bucks at my LHS, in a world where the typical Revell kit changes hands for north of twenty, I certainly can't complain there! :P

I'm not really big into muscle cars, but I do like this kit. I'm thinking it would make a fine replica stocker with little work. I'm more into AWB funny cars, so I'm thinking this will be my kits fate. Or, wait... what about a mild custom? The separate trim and door handles would make a shave job substantially easy...

...maybe I should pick up a couple more of these, huh?

Chuck, go head an get you some more, they're GREAT kits! I got a coupla them. With all the guys in my family, I really don't have any cousins that DIDN'T have Muscle Cars. My cousin Norbert,in Saginaw had both a 66,an a 67 442, both black an fast as sin! Those are some pretty accurate kits and they build up into a REAL nice model! Go 'head an get you a couple more!!! You'll be glad you did!!!B):P;)

Don't know about pix, but it's a very nice kit, originally came out back when Lindberg was really coming on strong to challenge the other model manufacturers. This was the era of the Lindberg Color Me Gone kit, the Chevelle, the '61 Impala, etc. All terrific kits, all worth buying.

Whatever happened to the Lindberg resurgence??? :(

I bought and built this kit back when it originally came out. Very nice kit in all respects. There was an issue with the interior depth being "squashed" a little, but whatever the problem was it didn't bother me! I'd post photos but my paint job isn't exactly "post worthy"... I wish Lindberg would put out some new product on a par with this kit.

For some reason when built the front looks more like an early '60's Lincoln to me than a Cutlass. Can't put my finger on exactly what's off ,,, too high?,, too flat??? a combination of both ,,, probably.

Probably just because looking more like a Lincoln than an Olds isn't a bad thing! ;) Seriously, Steve, I haven't noticed that- I'll have to check it out after I've built this one. I'm not a huge fan of the '67 schnozz, I prefer the '66 and '68 versions and kind of see the '67 as an akward middle child, so I can't promise to be 100% unbiased in my opinion!

Harry... there is NO SUCH THING as a non-postworthy paint job. This ain't the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance here!

Barring that, If anybody else has built this one, feel free to post some pics of it here.

Here's an idea... maybe I should turn mine into a Vista Cruiser...? Okay, maybe not.

I built the Olds last year, and while it was a fun build, there are a few caveats. I swapped in the rear axle from the Revell '66 GTO as I didn't care for the rear axle in the Olds (something about that molded- in sway bar). Also, the body surface development seems a bit wonky on my example, so in certain light it looks misproportioned ( or rebuilt from a bad wreck). As for the Lindberg Continental and Challenger, well, those kits were bought up from other companies- Pyro (which is a good idea for the Lincoln, Auburn and Cord kits) for the Lincoln and Palmer (no relation) for the Challenger. Here's a few pics of the Olds.

44210.jpg

4427.jpg

4426.jpg

Edited by Harold

The deal-breaker for me was the incorrectly shaped windshield area. It's much, much too flat and gives the model an odd appearance when viewed from certain angles. Compare the windshield area of the Olds with that of say, a Revell '67 Chevelle, and you'll get a much better idea of what I'm talking about.

Again, though, it's a nice kit if you can overlook certain issues.

You guys are hitting with an "I wish..." streak. In 1993 I found a real '67 442 for $600. I'm always broke when I find these deals so I didn't get it. I'm not a big GM or Olds fan, but that would have been my first real Muscle car. I was in high school when the muscle cars hit the street, but I couldn't afford one then either. Oh, well...

I guess now I'll try in 1/25 scale.

Gary

Edited by BigGary

something like a set of Hurst mags on this thing would really make it pop!

Yeah- I'm thinking the same thing- I've got a set of these from the old IMC/Testors '48 Ford kit that need a home!

man that thing looks like it would make a sweet lowrider

Truth be told- I'm surprised that I don't see more of these (as well as the AMT '66 version) done up as lowriders.

The deal-breaker for me was the incorrectly shaped windshield area. It's much, much too flat and gives the model an odd appearance when viewed from certain angles. Compare the windshield area of the Olds with that of say, a Revell '67 Chevelle, and you'll get a much better idea of what I'm talking about.

Again, though, it's a nice kit if you can overlook certain issues.

Ken is absolutely correct- I went and checked out my kit, and the windsheild is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too flat, even to the eye of this Ford man! I think I can overlook it, but I have to wonder how difficult it would be to add a little curve to the area, or even graft in the windsheild from a Revell '67 Chevelle. I've been doing a few 'top swaps' on some of my models lately, maybe this would be a natural step for this build.

Lowriding has lost its way, its all about Impalas,Caprices,Fleetwoods,and G bodies. build anything different and youre shunned

You can't to a '66 or '67 Cutty, but still, I see lowrider-style SATURNS all the flippin' time!? Yeah, that's one reason I got out of lowriders- if it ain't an Imp, it ain't gonna be appreciated! Never mind that the Model King/AMT '70 Buick Wildcat comes with some really sweet lowrider graphics- just add Hoppin' Hydros wheels and you're set! Which would you rather see- yet another Impala or Fleetwood, or something off the chain like a Wildcat, 442, or heck... even a '78 Dodge truck?

You can't to a '66 or '67 Cutty, but still, I see lowrider-style SATURNS all the flippin' time!? Yeah, that's one reason I got out of lowriders- if it ain't an Imp, it ain't gonna be appreciated! Never mind that the Model King/AMT '70 Buick Wildcat comes with some really sweet lowrider graphics- just add Hoppin' Hydros wheels and you're set! Which would you rather see- yet another Impala or Fleetwood, or something off the chain like a Wildcat, 442, or heck... even a '78 Dodge truck?

im all about being out of the box

e76994cf.jpg