Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '66 Chevy Impala

Drago

Ignore that last sentence...after looking at the '65 hardtop kit, it is apparent that much of the engine and chassis is shared with the '66. The parts trees look a bit different because they are arranged and cut differently to fit in a normal-size kit box. The '65 kits came in much larger boxes.

--Mark

Come on guys, some of you are sweating the correct/incorrect roofline a bit much. The '66 Imp kit looks just fine as is, and is a welcome addition to the fine Revell line-up. Truth be told, I massage the lines and proportions on just about every kit I build, and no one seems to notice. Guess that's the idea, right?....tweak what bugs you, make it your own, correct perceived imperfections, etc. Not one of us builds a perfect model, even though many may think they do.

.....and then we wonder why kit manufacturers are hesitant to release brand new tools. :lol: Guys, a '66 Impala??!! How long have we waited?? Revell did a fine job. Buy them up, build them up, show them off, and let's encourage Revell (and....ahem...everyone else) to release some MORE new tools!

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Just got mine last nite. i checked it with a AMT 66 Impala, an other than the little area above the wheelwells, between the sculpture/body crease in the side, and the tops of the wheelarches looks like it MIGHT be a smidge short, an the Super Sport emblems on the fender are located a bit lower on the new one. But other than THAT it shore do LOOK like a 66 Impala! I noticed it doesn't have ANY engraveing detail under the front floorboard of the interior, and the engine left a tad bit to be desired, the NICELY detailed 396 in the 65 Chevelle, or in one of the 67 Vette kits coulda been used for a more ACCURATE LOOKING Big Block Chevy, (I personally don't understand the idea of TWO junky carbs on it!) They fixed the "streetcurb" rear window moulding(from the 65), and the rooflines the same on BOTH AMT and Revell kits. Revell did a GREAT job on the modding of the 65 kit. (I guess I shoulda matched the 65 to the 66 to see how they compare.)Anyway, just the first of a coupla them. I think 66 was one of the BEST years for Chevy! ALL their offerings, from the Impala, to the Vette, to the CORVAIR, ALL had so very NICE looking stylelines!!! Other than the 69's that came outta Chrysler 3 years later,To ME those were the BEST styles to come outta Chevy, Mopar, in the 60's. Fords 69/70 Mustangs just do it to me, even though I'm NOT a real Ford kinda guy. I mean, I like them ,kinda, but I prefer Chevy's an Mopars. Anyways, This new 66 is pretty NICE and I KNOW i'mma be gettin ME a few mo!laugh.giftongue.gifwink.gif

Gotta agree with ya there George! When Bill Mitchell was running styling in those days, there wasn't an ugly one in the bunch as far as GM was concerned. I think that '66 IMO was a high water mark for GM, as in later years the styling began to take on a "heavy" look-------witness the '67-'68 Pontiacs and Olds.

Those full size 1965-'66 B-Body hardtops to me are my favorites next to the '59-'60 lineup. They all angled in the right places and the lower body styling complimented the hardtop look. :rolleyes:

Edited by MrObsessive

As far as CHASSIS design I'm not sure. For the inner body braceing ALL the jigs used to assemble the sub components are the same. It's when you get to the more specilised areas, like Fenders, quarters,tailpanels,and stuff tend to be different due to the different sheetmetal that they all wear.(or wore).

So to answer your question, any 65 GM B Body should be able to fit the 65's innards. But will it be correct? Hey, that's up to you. 66 Buick WildCat, 65 Olds Delta88, 65 Bonneville, or 2+2. You'd hafta stretch the wheelbase for some of them, but you get the idea.biggrin.gifwink.gif

• 2 months later...

It is a reissue, as opposed to an all new tool, as much of it comes directly from the Revell/Monogram 1965 Impala tooling. In the trade it's what is known as a "modified reissue".

An all new tool wouldn't share as much with a prior kit as this one does. This isn't a knock on the kit, as the real 1/1 cars shared a great bit themselves, & it's perfectly logical & economically viable for the models to do the same.

B)

So this would explain why it wasn't issued as one of the "special edition" new tooling kits instead of one the numerous "streetburner" kits? Kind of surprising with this model being out of retail for 45 years that they wouldn't give it unique packaging?

Very happy that its here though. I grew up (not literally) in a 66 4 door hardtop my Dad bought new. I missed an AMT 66 on e-bay a couple years back that sold for just under $100 ? I was pleased when Hasegawa put out the 66 series of kits until I saw the back of the Impala :( Wouldn't the correct front grill and tail lights suffice for "new tooling"?

Can't wait to build it :blink:

Edited by auroramike

I noticed something the other day about the '66 Impala kit that made me smile ... one of the license plate decals is a yellow-on-black Cali plate with the number "REV 4250."

Anyone care to guess what the kit's SKU number is?

Clever, Revell, clever! ;) ;)

I spotted something unusual in my kit. There is a number on the back top side of the interior, that same number is on the top inside of the boxlid. Haven't seen that before.

• 9 years later...
46 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

The Revell display model at the NNL Nats #40...

Were the larger diameter mutli-spoke (100 spoke?) wheels and tires (those now included with the current '86 Monte Carlo SS kit) supposed to be included with this kit? The box art would seem to confirm that, as those are definitely not the 13" diameter rolling stock on the built-up model.

Not being terribly familiar with the '66 Impala, I'm wondering what's wrong with the taillights?

I always liked the '66 better than the '65 Impala. Kinda wish Revell wudda modified the '65 convertible into a '66, but that's just because I like convertibles! LOL

I look forward to getting one of these myself. I owned a '66 Impala SS 396 with 4 speed back in the day so I have a personal attachment to this kit. The forward section of the floor boards are the only real issue I could find on the ones I have built. My personal car had the optional gauge package that put a Tach where the Clock would have been and added four gauges between the console and the bottom of the dash. This had the Oil pressure, Water temp., Charging, and Clock. I have fabricated these on my builds.   

27 minutes ago, espo said:

I look forward to getting one of these myself. I owned a '66 Impala SS 396 with 4 speed back in the day so I have a personal attachment to this kit. The forward section of the floor boards are the only real issue I could find on the ones I have built. My personal car had the optional gauge package that put a Tach where the Clock would have been and added four gauges between the console and the bottom of the dash. This had the Oil pressure, Water temp., Charging, and Clock. I have fabricated these on my builds.   

That was my only issue also. But, some styrene rod fixes it easily. What's odd is the '65 has the detail on the forward section of the floor pan. I figure at some point, Revell will make this kit a convertible. Maybe. I would've rather seen this issue have a nice set of current large diameter wheels like they did with the "California Wheels" kits years ago. I would have bought one or two. But, I still have a couple in the stash. So, I don't need this one.

I always thought the R/M '65 had an aspect to its greenhouse that was a bit too "forward-leaning" - a touch too vertical in the windshield and a smidge too "fast" in the C-pillars - and the '66 mostly corrected that to my eyes.  They sabotaged that improvement a bit in the drip rails and perhaps a certain abruptness of transition where the C-pillars hit the deck, but those problems are easy to fix.

Those of you who like the kit and don't see that, nobody's telling you not to enjoy the model.  I might like to pick this one up to do the lowrider, m'self.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis