Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell is watching your dialogue on future versions of their '32 Ford kits

As has been pointed out before, between the parts in the Revell Rat Rod '29 and '31 kits, the AMT '32 Vicky/Tudor/Phaeton kits, and the stock version of the AMT-Ertl '34 Ford Coupe kit, a really accurate stock '32 could be put together using either the Revell Tudor or Five Window sedan kit. This would be a great magazine article or a great web tutorial. Who's going to step up to the plate on this one?

TIM

I nominate you! <_<

Tim,

As a rod modeler myself, I agree with you 100% about finally getting a kit or two that is exclusively designed for street rodders. But, there are also several other popular rods that could be kitted without breaking the bank. How about some new verisons of their Merc kit? How about a decent Woodie kit? The suggestions are endless as to what could be kitted for rod modelers.

The '32 Ford is quickly falling into the same category as the '57 Chevy in terms of kits wearing out their welcome. When the announcements are made, we're starting to hear the familar.."What, ANOTHER '32 Ford?", just like we hear now for the '57 Chevy releases.

All we're asking is that the horizons get broadened just a bit. How about a '51 Caddy turned custom? How about a decent '34 Ford kit? Even a decent '40 Ford kit done in Rod trim would be a welcome variation from the "norm". <_<

If Revell wants to upgrade the '32, how about doing an all out street rod, using such pieces as a custom tubular front suspension, a Jag or 'Vette rear suspension, maybe a 454 Chevy and older running gear? You know, something like the custom car builders of the 70's would build, like a retro kit.

Or they could do a custom using parts from a 2009/2010 Corvette kit, like the complete running gear.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

I nominate you! <_<

Harry....that idea would rank about #1001 on my list of 1000 kitbashing projects I want to complete before I dide. Sorry, just not my thing.

My point is, there must be someone here (Ed???) for whom it would be #1 on a list of 100o kit bashing projects....TIM

I would! <_< But I do doubt enough would to justify the tooling cost.

David

All I'm saying is, there are far more cars and trucks than just '32 Fords in the street rodding world, and of those "others", many have already been tooled in one form or another through the years. Start putting some effoert into something besides another '32 Ford, '57 Chevy, Mustang, or Dodge Challenger. Give us some variety rather than cramming the same kits down our throats with different wheels, tires and box art.

Give us some variety rather than cramming the same kits down our throats with different wheels, tires and box art.

Seriously???

Man have you seen the popularity the 32 brings to the 1:1 world lately???

The mere price alone should clue you in. Go price one. You being a rodder should know this....

I don't think revell is cramming this one down our throats at all. I think they have merely scratched the surface with this one.. LOTS OF DIRECTIONS TO GO IN HERE...

I think revell is batting 1000 on this one. For me like Dave has mentioned a pu would fit well into this line up. with a Really nice Nailhead or rocket or even a studebaker V8 ,6 deuce setup, Radirs or even some steelies and spider caps. How about a LeSalle transmission and a early banjo with a quick change option or a winters rearend. definitely a commercial grill...

maybe a z'ed frame option. I realize costs are a factor but its some things to look at. REVELL YOU KEEP IT UP!!!!

All I'm saying is, there are far more cars and trucks than just '32 Fords in the street rodding world

Well, I think Revell has about as diverse of a catalog as we are likely to see. The reality is this, even in good times the market for model car kits is rather limited, so as long as modified reissues sell well they are going to keep cranking them out. Any modified reissue of the '32 Ford is going to be a big hit, Revell can count on that so they'll keep doing it..... at least until someone finds a cure for '32 Ford fever, (most likely never, which is fine with me. <_< ) We would all like to see every year, make and model of every car ever produced be released in kit form, but it just isn't going to happen. The market is too limited, moreso than ever I suspect and so Revell can't take too many risks, they have to play it safe, which they should. I'd rather have Revell do nothing but modified reissues and be successful than see them go out of business because they took too many risks and lost on new tools.

David

Rather than continue the debate of whether or not another 32 kit is wanted or needed from Revell, I'm going to participte in the actual intent of this thread...

As I stated in the"reviews" area after the 5w kit came out here's my idea. Closed cab or RPU pickup. An Olds J2 engine(Rocket) would be outstanding since it is the only GM small block from the 50's that hasn't been treated to new tooling(SBC-multiple times, Nailhead-in the AMT 66 Riviera, Caddy-in the Revell 49 Merc) As someone else suggested, a quickchange with coilsprings using the current mounting setup would be great for vintage stuff, but could also be used by street rod builders if Revell didn't want to still include the Ford 9". Guide or commercial headlights would be neat. Putting a buggy sprung rearend in this kit, while very cool, doesn't seem to fit economically given the guideline of being street-roddable too.

Thanks for listening Revell.

I am extremely embarrassed ( but certainly not surprised) by the responses to this post. While interested personel from Revell are reading our "inputs", all many of you are doing is speculating about economic conditions, pretending to know model car marketing trends, evaluating Revell's financial status and going COMPLETELY off topic by suggesting the tooling of various other models.

The question was "what are some ideas for the NEXT issue of the '32 Ford Street Rod kit."

From a 60 year old street rod modeler, here are my inputs in regard to the actual topic.

1. While touring phaetons are beautiful cars (in my opinion), they faded from popularity many years ago due to the discomfort of driving them in most climates and the fact that aftermarket 1:1 bodies were not made in any noticable quantities.

2. I aggree that an accurate '32 Ford pickup would be welcomed, but the frame would have to be modified by Revell to remove the fuel tank, which is under the seat on '32 trucks. A bed and tailgate needs to be tooled, possibly new fenders, new tailights, all new interior pieces and (NOT mandatory) the commercial grille and grille shell. When this is all done, IT WILL LOOK DAMNED NEAR like the Lindberg '34 pickup. I know this for a fact because the '32 pickup that I mastered for Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Md. is usually just glanced at, with the assumption that it's just another old Lindberg/AMT '34.

3. A sedan delivery would be pointless because even a novice car modeler can put some plastic sheet in the rear window openings and scribe a rear door into the existing tudor sedan.

4. Sometimes, modelers suggest it would be "neat to have" a B400. I completely agree, but it was the rarest deuce made and are ALMOST never seen in the 1:1 world, in magazines or online.

5. A cabriolet or a sport coupe body could be tooled and should probably "work" with the existing 5-window interior parts. For accuracy, a cabriolet should have a separate "up top" and a boot.

6. While not wanting to take away revenue from my resin casting friends, I believe the VICKIE is the best selling aftermarket body for the Revell '32 kits. Any of the existing engines would work. A NEW REAR would certainly be welcome - possibly a modern or traditonal quick-change. I'll get some flak for this but - like it or not a Chevy 350 engine is the street rod staple and, currently, one has to rob an engine from another kit to put one into a Revell '32.

ALL the engines can be swapped between all the Revell '32 variations. Early Olds or Buick engine would also be a nice option.

So,,,,,my ideas are numbers 5 or 6, above. I am very thankful that Revell has asked for our inputs.

Lyle Willits

I am extremely embarrassed ( but certainly not surprised) by the responses to this post. While interested personel from Revell are reading our "inputs", all many of you are doing is speculating about economic conditions, pretending to know model car marketing trends, evaluating Revell's financial status and going COMPLETELY off topic by suggesting the tooling of various other models.

The question was "what are some ideas for the NEXT issue of the '32 Ford Street Rod kit."

I would like to see some split bones or even some Buick brakes as well. How about a suicide perch and a spring behind the axle set up with an stock or undropped 32 axle. All easily done by the average modeler but would still be neat to see in kit form..

Man What I wouldn't give for a stock firewall in the 32 kit...

The idea of a pre-394 Olds Rocket has a lot of appeal, and is a really good suggestion. Rod or not, I'd buy one just for the engine. I can think of a few resin kits that would find a home in, especially if supplied with a 2-/4-bbl and J-2 option.

I do hope though, that a stock option is forthcoming. I'd really welcome a return of the 2-n-1/3-n-1 kits.

Charlie Larkin

Definitely agree that a SBC would not be bad engine choice ... especially if was decked out with vintage speed parts, i.e., a tri-carb intake and some Corvette valve covers. Some purists might howl, but, fact of the matter is, at just about any 1:1 car show I've ever been to, 90 to 95 percent of the rods have been SBC-powered.

I also agree that a Vickie would be a great "next" in the series, although, as I stated earlier, I'd be perfectly happy with a "Special Edition" reissue of the roadster with a smattering of new parts, an up top for one. Guess my expectations are more modest than those of some people!

I also agree with you, Lyle, that a lot of the responses in this thread have been nothing short of embarrassing. Definitely a pity.