Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pesky GT40 Seat Rivets

69*Goat

I am a GT40 nut, therefore I have several GT40 kits in my stash. I was working on one of them about three weeks ago to get it ready for a contest, and I had an idea on how to make the pesky seat rivets stand out. So, I grabbed a silver pencil from my aircraft modeling supplies, and I sharpened it to a nice point. I then held the seat under a lit magnifying glass, and outlined each rivet.......voila!!

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

Jerry, any good artstore/office supply carries 'em. Just make sure you get the one HE got! Prismacolors are the BEST pencils for doing this kinda work. I use them to make the I'P's more detailed lookin an they work GREAT!.Just remember to get the RIGHT ones. Other pencils seem to have a harder lead in them,and they don't go on as well as the Prismacolors do.

They are a tad more expensive, BUT they ARE worth it! ;):blink:

Wish I had thought of that when I was building the old Aurora / Revell GT40 Prototype, re-issued a few years back. I know that I was never going to draw the "rings", even if I tried "stamping" the paint, it would end in disaster.

I settled on printing the pattern on a return address label. This was possible because of that particular kit, as the seats were almost "slab" like.

After making a black background, I did a grid pattern

Received_20_03_2009114047-vi.jpg

Using a circle from what little art I had...

Received_21_03_2009101735-vi.jpg

I pasted it, shrunk it down to size, and then I just kept duplicating the circle, moving each to the correct spot on the grid.

Received_20_03_2009122133-vi.jpg

Huh! Enlarged, they look like bullet holes! When shrunk down to fit the seat, they looked OK. Maybe a slight bit over-sized. Perhaps with a bit more patience, I could have done a better one.

DSC00020-vi.jpg

This is meant just as an example of the various ways we try to get what we want or need. This may not work on a more accurately molded bucket seat. A tip of the hat to you for drawing the rivets. Either way, I suspect duplicating the rivets is not an easy task, but not impossible.

Thanks for reading.

Looking forward to your finished GT40 too!

Jerry, any good artstore/office supply carries 'em. Just make sure you get the one HE got! Prismacolors are the BEST pencils for doing this kinda work.

Most every office/art store will have prisma pencils, but you're more likely to find loose stock in an art store. Not only are they the best pencils for this type of work, but they are the best pencils for any art project as far as I'm concerned, been using them exclusively for years. You should be able to pick them up for a little over a dollar a piece.