Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey gang-

After my second attempt with Werner in ten years, I have finally realized where they set their priorities, and it isn't with the drivers. Anywho, I have been running on the Hy-Vee grocery account since May and finished up on Sept 7th (I was going to go back to running reefers to the east coast). The next day, I got a call from a small company out of Urbandale, Iowa wanting me to continue in Hy Vee. Better pay, a much nicer truck, and I only answer to ONE person... Gee, lemme think... Why hell yeah.

Here are just a couple shots of my ride. It's a 1996 Pete 379EX with a 48" flat top sleeper. 3406E Cat mated to an 18 speed Eaton Fuller. Chrome and polish everywhere and 9" straight exhaust. I'll be in this one for another week or so and move into a newer truck with a bigger bunk (still flat top).

I had the opportunity last week to haul one of the Hy-Vee/Kansas City Chiefs trailers down to KC to pick up the rally towels for the home opener on Saturday. I was able to park in the lot where the players park then drop the trailer by one of the parking area for advertising.

I'm really considering stripping the 359 Werner truck...

ffc80b64.jpg

285a9b4a.jpg

6ffb9fce.jpg

f6f74a15.jpg

0e338f00.jpg

36085465.jpg

Edited by Murphy's Law

Chris that is a nice looking truck. I like that style very much.

I'll have to look for you on the Hi-way here. I live in MN. and see Hyvee trucks all the time. If you ever make it to Mankato let me know.

Please show us a pic of your new truck when you get it.

Chris

IMO, Werner is one of the WORST companies to drive for. My step dad was driving for them up until last week when he was fired for an accident that wasn't his fault. Well, actually they made him take a road test again, and supposedly he failed that because he inadvertantly shifted on some railroad tracks. That was the reason he was fired. But yes, their priorities are not their drivers. However, as far as trucks go, he had a 2008 Freightliner Cascadia with only 50,000 miles on it (after having NUMEROUS problems with his 12 year old Pete). Man that Freightliner was a NICE truck. He is waiting on a call from Roehl about a job. They're offering him a dedicated run and home EVERY weekend where with Werner he was running all 48 states and was home every 6-8 weeks if he was lucky, AFTER they told him he'd be home every 4 weeks.

Edited by grimreaper

James in all the years I towed the bigguns , never heard too much bout Werner . Thanks for the heads up . I have heard my fill of J B Hunt though . Swift is hiring so many mexicans round here I wonder what the need for the new Meximericanada Highway is all about . True the real estate is going right through the middle of the country and Bubba, I'm scared , very scared ! Ed Shaver

I won't openly bash on Werner, however, there are too many decision makers to have a smooth running company and no lines of communication.

Cost cutting has affected them like anyone else and it shows. They are simply a company where drivers can get started in their careers and move on after a year, although I do know some drivers that have been there for a long time.

All told, I am very happy with my change. Like I said, this was my second time around with them. I started in '99 and ran for about a year. Biggest problem was that I lived in Florida and couldn't get home. Since a move to the Omaha area, it seemed kinda natural to go back. I worked in driver placement for awhile over the winter and really began to question the thought process of the higher ups. Why train a driver for 8 to 10 weeks, then send him home for 30 days to wait for a truck. If none came available, they were considered a "voluntary quit." No fault of the driver, but the economy was what it was over the winter. When I spoke my mind and asked if that was the business plan Werner had in place, I was basically told to be quiet and do my job...

Too many chiefs, not enough indians, and not near enough money trickling down to the ones that really make it. ;)

I've heard "STUFF" about JB Hunt too. As far as available trucks through Werner, they have a yard full of BRAND NEW trucks in PA, they just don't want to put anyone in them. They would rather let them rot than put them on the road.

Edited by grimreaper

• 1 month later...

"Werner" is a joke... I worked for them for 4 months, and all I got was a headache. I can tell you I learned my lesson about them the first time around. I would rather be homeless and starving then go to work for that bunch again.

It took me 4 months to figure out why they had a 2" thick plexiglass window with a small hole cut out between you and the dispatchers...

It's because if I could've reached through, I would've choked the jerk...

• 4 weeks later...

All I can say is I got my CDL w/Schneider National about 2 years ago, and left after being on my own for 3 weeks. Same headaches as anywhere. I worked switching trailers for a while, but that didn't lead to the 'local' position I had hoped for, and went across the street to drive for a small trucking company (the truck I drove is my avatar). Loved working for them, but the costs of fuel and low freight rates forced them to lay me off, and I haven't fond much of anything since then (Jan. 09). Everyone I talk to tells me "well, you just don't have enough experience." Even Schneider!!!!!

Anywho, I love trucking, and will continue to look till I find something!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the new ride. I wish you luck. It sounds like you're happy.

I have a friend who worked for Werner, and he left because of the "nit-picking". I met this friend when I worked for Marten Transport. Marten turned out to be much the same given the stories he told me . Although when I started out with them, I couldn't bear the thought of any other name on my truck's door. Their attitude changed that after I was there 2 years. There's only so much condescension a person can take.