Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beating a Dead Horse Again

Hi Everybody ;)

I just received a Nesco Dehydrator from a friend and it has temperature settings from 95 degrees to 155 degrees and it also has a Fan the blows from top to bottom.

How long should it take to dry small parts such as intake manifolds and motors, seats and dash? What temperature is best? :rolleyes:

These items have been sprayed with 1 light coat and 1 medium coat of Floquil Enamel paint and they are all 1/25th scale. :lol:

Also how long and at what temperature would I use to dry a body painted with Automotive Lacquer? <_<

Same question but for Automotive Enamel? :blink:

I don't want to ruin the bodies, I already trashed one real nice painted body that I worked on for what seamed like months. ;)

I painted it and set the car outside under a cardboard shoe box that has several 3/8" holes on each side of the box. I forgot how hot it can get inside an enclosed area. After 2 hours I ended up with painted mush and it was only 118 degrees outside. :blink:

Thank you

Ernie P

Ern, set it to about 102 degrees. Mine has no temp setting, but I got an oven thermometer in it that reads about 107 when I put my parts in it. I never used a laquer paint, only enamels an I've left mine in there for up to 2 days with no problem. Just make sure it's NOT near the bottom, where the heating elements are. I actually got 2 dehydrators, just to get the extra "Decks" to raise it up higher away from the bottom. They DO work GREAT!!!! :lol::lol:

Ernie, I have the Nesco as well. I keep mine at 105. I've never had a problem with resin or any plastic.

Tamiya paints are pretty much ready to go after 4-6 hours. Testors is more like 8-12.

Of course airbrushed stuff is much faster. You'll see quite a jump in speed on your building with the use of the dehydrator.

I find it to be an essential tool of modeling.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my Nesco for over 5 years now and it doesn't have the element on the bottom, it's at the top, at least on mine :D I set mine at 105 and leave my painted bodies in there for 24 hours, never had any problems. Just make sure not to put a painted body soon after you paint it, give it at least a few hours before putting it in the dehydrator. Personally, I wait one day. I use lacquers but if I was to use enamels to paint a body I would leave it an additional 12 hours, enamels take a long time to dry and if you want to wetsand them and rub them out to polish you better make sure that they are completely dry!!! B)

Just make sure not to put a painted body soon after you paint it, give it at least a few hours before putting it in the dehydrator.

Marcos, May I ask why you wait that little bit of time before putting the painted body in the dehydrator? I go from the booth within about 5 minutes of spraying to the dehydrator and haven't had a problem. So I'm just curious whether I've been lucky or if I need to look out for something. Thanks!!

Chris

it shouldn't be an issue, as quick as i can disconnect my gun and walk out of the booth, i turn the oven on at work.

in my experience lacquer bases are fully dry in 30 min. and depending on the clear, anywhere from 1-5 hours to be sandable for polish. i like to wet sand with 1200-2000 grit then give it another hour or so to completely gas out before polishing