Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram rear engine Scarab

Just got hold of a reissue of the 1/24 Monogram Scarab racecar, and am wondering if the markings in the kit are correct for a particular car/race. Also trying to find some decent wheels for it. The box art painting shows some sort of six-spoke wheel, the side of the box shows an eight spoke Minilite type wheel, but what comes in the box looks like niether. Anybody know? thanks!

scarab-kit.jpg

scarab-01.jpg

scarab-02.jpg

Hi There Brian

FWIW none of the reference material I have shows the Midengine Scarab with the #14 on it. I have it with the #16 for the Original Reventlow Car, 91 and 16 used for A.J. Foyt, 90 for Walt Hansgen and 7 for Augle Pabst.

For the Wheels, if you have an AMT '53 Studebaker Starliner Coupe handy there's a nice set in there. Other wise there are several Resin Casters out there that are making them.

Ed

Edited by Crazy Ed

Hi There Brian

FWIW none of the reference material I have shows the Midengine Scarab with the #14 on it. I have it with the #16 for the Original Reventlow Car, 91 and 16 used for A.J. Foyt, 90 for Walt Hangen and 7 for Augle Pabst.

For the Wheels, if you have an AMT '53 Studebaker Starliner Coupe handy there's a nice set in there. Other wise there are several Resin Casters out there that are making them.

Ed

Do you have pics of these cars you can post or email? Does anyone make decals for this cars? Also, not familiar with the '53 Studebaker kit, so I've never seen the wheels in it. Thanks!

The only decal/detail set I'm aware of was produced by a company called Ricambi. There was an article about the kit and detailing it in Issue 34 of Motor Racing Models (Aug/Sept '97) along with an Ad for the Ricambi Upgrade set. As to the Minilites the Revell '67 Corvette Sport Coupe 2 in 1 kit has a nice set and they're not Chrome Plated so there's no need to strip before painting them!

Ed