Model Cars Magazine Forum

I spotted this truck at the recent St.Ignace Truck Show (Michigan). The truck is an '08 Peterbilt 389 glider.

GreenBlack389TheInspiration.jpg

My version won't be exactly like Sublime (as JADE calls it) as I am using it for inspiration.

Starting with parts from Italeri Peterbilt 378 and 377s, a resin 389 hood from Spaulding Trading and Shipping and a resin 63" low roof from Budd Ricker, and some slicing and dicing for side panels and modificaitons.

GreenBlack389sept2209.jpg

greenblack389pieces92309.jpg

The frame has been stretched for a 268" wheelbase.

greenblack389frame92509.jpg

The body was painted Duplicolor Gloss Black. I then masked off the black and shot a very light coat of Tamiya Candy Lime Green.

This is my first experience with Tamiya paint - and I must say, it is super easy to work with. No bleed under, no lifting when the masking tape is removed. The only drawback is the extended cure/wait time between paint and clear coat.

greenblack389b92309.jpg

greenblack389cabpainted92509.jpg

I added a silver separator stripe. The black has been polished and cleared (Future) and waxed. The green will be Future cleared once the green is fully cured.

greenblack389paintedrear92509.jpg

Lots more to be done!

Thanks for looking.

Tim

Tim,

Very Nice! I like the paint scheme I shall have to try the two colour body some day. Have you mastered the 389 headlights yet? I would love to see these as an aftermarket item. I was not keen o the 389 headlights, but they grow on you!

The engine looks like the Detroit S60. Are Detroits' still offered by Peterbilt? I thought they had stopped fitting them? Come to think of it what is Peterbilt (Paccar) preffered engine these days?

Good Luck with the rest of the build!

Dave

Dave

Check with Spaulding Trading and Shipping for the 389 lights.

The Detroit in mine is used as a generic engine block. The hood on my 389 won't open, so I'm not concerned as to how accurate the motor is. P'car does not offer Detroits (not since '03). With that said, I've now see two '07+ Pete's with new Detroits in them. Both trucks were ordered as rolling gliders (complete truck, just no motor or trans).

P'car's prefered engine is Cummins, with Cat still available for a while. The new PACCAR engine (developed by DAF) to be built here in the US should be available next year I think.

Tim

Tim,

Very Nice! I like the paint scheme I shall have to try the two colour body some day. Have you mastered the 389 headlights yet? I would love to see these as an aftermarket item. I was not keen o the 389 headlights, but they grow on you!

The engine looks like the Detroit S60. Are Detroits' still offered by Peterbilt? I thought they had stopped fitting them? Come to think of it what is Peterbilt (Paccar) preffered engine these days?

Good Luck with the rest of the build!

Dave

Progress update October 2, 2009

Greenblack389dash100209.jpg

I decided not to modify the dash to the newer style, instead just painted the face of the dash lime green.

blackgreen389chassis100209.jpg

The chassis ready to start accepting body parts.

Green_Black_389_foiled_100209.jpg

Plenty of Bare Metal Foil applied to the door jambs, air cleaner mounts and other bits. The grille screen will have Plano Model Products Oval Mesh.

The JADE door sign was printed by BrandYou Graphics of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Tim

A small amount of rubbing alcohol removes the wax.

Tim

THANKS TIM. I JUST DID A LACQUER COLOR COAT WITH LACQUER CLEAR COAT PAINT JOB FOR MY FIRST TIME AND IN THE LAST FEW DAYS I HAVE TRIED POLISHING THE CLEARCOAT OUT WITH POLISHING CLOTHS AND ALSO TRIED POLISHING COMPOUND. I THINK THE POLISHING COMPOUND WORKED THE BEST. A FEW MINUTES AGO I WENT OVER A WHOLE AREA THAT I RUBBED OUT WITH COMPOUND USING MOTHERS CARNAUBA CLEANER WAX AND IT REMOVED ALL THE FINE SCRATCHES LEFT BY THE POLISHING COMPOUND. JARNNO88