Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Vanishing Point" 70 Dodge Challenger R/T

Car Crazy 81

Heres another one of my movie car builds im replicaing this one from the movie "Vanishing Point" can also be seen in "Deathproof" but im building mines from "Vanishing Point". I got this one from member Big Gary thanks for the model, good buddy. I'd used the frame from a Revell 70 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda which fits like a glove im going with a 440 ci from a Monogram 70 GTX.

IMG_1992.jpg

Heres another one of my movie car builds im replicaing this one from the movie "Vanishing Point" can also be seen in "Deathproof" but im building mines from "Vanishing Point". I got this one from member Big Gary thanks for the model, good buddy. I'd used the frame from a Revell 70 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda which fits like a glove im going with a 440 ci from a Monogram 70 GTX.

IMG_1992.jpg

You need to find a kit with the old Poly Glass GY's for your kit.

• 1 month later...

Heres some updates on the VP Challenger i'd finally ordered a hood from Revell which is from the new release kit so now i'd gotta do some modifications to get it to fit right. The frame is completed i'd went with the factory overspray which looks cool on a Mopar. I was debating on the engine it was either a Hemi or a 440 i'd chose the 440 since the Hemi was too wide in the engine bay. What ya'll think.

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

• 2 months later...

Heres some progress on the VP Challenger shes close to being finished once i can get a nice day i'll wind up laying some Gloss White paint on the body for the time being its in Flat White paint that i'd used as a primer. I have the exhaust outlets trimmed out since i cant find any R/T tips i'll be using a set from a AMT 70 Corvette theyre close enough i also used the exhaust from a Revell 69 Charger.

VanishingPoint70Challenger.jpg

VanishingPoint70Challenger2.jpg

VanishingPoint70Challenger3.jpg

VanishingPoint70Challenger4.jpg

Edited by LSU Fan 1981

• 1 month later...

Heres the latest on the VP Challenger i'd redid the body due to a paint attempt that went horribly and now shes ready for paint.

VanishingPoint70DodgeChallenger.jpg

The 440 from the 70 GTX is just about finished except for few nick-knack pieces i'd used a set of exhaust manifolds & the fan belt assembly from a Revell 69 Charger kit. The breather is gonna be from a AMT 71 Duster with a scratchbuilt base.

VanishingPoint70DodgeChallenger2.jpg

The undercarriage is just about completed except for the driveshaft. I'd used the exhaust pieces from a AMT 69 GTX & a Revell 69 Charger and the tips are from a AMT 70 Corvette.

VanishingPoint70DodgeChallenger3.jpg

Im trying to get this one ready for the Tigerfest show on the 27th so im pressing for time on this one and two other projects. Wish me luck, guys.

Edited by LSU Fan 1981

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the latest on the VP Challenger i finally have some paint on it for the 6th time i'd used Valspar Gloss White which can be found at Lowes. Im close to having this one finished for the Tigerfest show next saturday. All thats left is adding the nick-knack pieces i ougha have this one in Under Glass section before the weekend is over.

VanishingPoint70DodgeChallenger-1.jpg

VanishingPoint70DodgeChallenger2-1.jpg

VanishingPoint70DodgeChallenger3-1.jpg

The most un authentic thing is the engine.It NEVER said ANYWHERE on the car OR the movie that it was running a 6-pak motor. The Police dispatcher said he thought it MIGHT be supercharged, but it's never stated in the movie EXACTLY what motor is in the car. If you notice in the moving scenes,where Kawalski is just drivein the piss outta it, the full on screen shot of him leanin on the door, with the wind blowin his hair, the hood VERY CLEARLY states 440 MAGNUM on it. NO 440 six pack emblems EVER showed on screen. I remember when those cars came out, and even THEN, if there was a six pak under the hood, It STATED that fact!!! The Vanishing Point Challenger is an Icon of movie history, just like Bullits Mustang an the Bad guys 68 Charger! Can't Forget "Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry's "Charger either!! Or American Graffitties 55 Chevy,32 Ford,or 58 Chevy. I always am amussed when folks make the mistake of putting what THEY WANT on a movie car, instead of staying factually/historically correct. But your Chally is comin out REAL nice "L" Regardless of what motor it's runnin!!!biggrin.gifwink.gif Good job!smile.gif

I wanted to let everyone know theyre will be no progress on this build because i'd stepped out for a second to get something out of the shed and found my 3 year old nephew grabbed the Challenger and hurled it against the wall litterally smashing it into pieces the body is totaled all thats left is bits & pieces. I'll find another one to replace the one that got smashed.

BUMMMMMEEERRRR!!! Like Mark says, SORRY to hear ALL your hard work was for nuthin!! Family CAN be a real bich, can't they??? Hope you din't get too crazy on the lil nephew. When MY goofy lil nephews messed up MY models, I'd just make my Big Brudder replace them. Now they're 45 42 40, an 38 and they STILL remember Uncle Georgie gettin nuts!!!!laugh.gif ( I got a few more, but after THESE nuts, I put a LOCK on my room!!!)