Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Dodge Coronet 500 by Polar Lights

JayC

I built this one to while away the hours waiting on paint to dry on other projects, and on days when it was raining around here:

DSC00981-vi.jpgDSC00982-vi.jpgDSC00991-vi.jpg

This one has the pearl white paint. I didn't foil the trim, and some of it is kind of out of register, anyway. I don't remember having trouble with the engine fit. I have 6 more of these Dodges, in hardtop and droptop form. Plenty projects for rainy days!!

Edited by Bucky

• 1 month later...

I started on a white metallic version of the  Coronet last night.  I am going to build this pretty much straight out of the box.  I am practicing so I can build a red replica of my 1:1 car but fully detail etc.  I actually like the lines and the car is a good looking car and compares in most areas pretty well with my 1:1 car.  I hate the grill I have to say.  I probably won't do much to this practice build but anyone have success in using the original AMT grill on the P/L car or drilling out the headlights and making the Polar Lights grill look more realistic?  Thanks everyone. 

Edited by drodg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I was thinking Landy ran a Dodge van or truck I-beam front axle (and even tried to get it certified for A/FX use because it was a factory part) on his '65, but maybe he added that later in the year. I'll have to do some more research on that. :unsure:

His '64 two-door sedan has an A-100 axle.  It was briefly legal for Modified Production class because it was a "station wagon" unit, from a passenger version of the van.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

His '64 two-door sedan has an A-100 axle.  It was briefly legal for Modified Production class because it was a "station wagon" unit, from a passenger version of the van.

I checked the book and you're right--they moved the factory K-member forward 10 inches. I apologize for questioning it without checking first. 

I want to model the 1965 cars of Landy, Sox, Dyno Don, and Jenkins. This would be the last year these four would participate in the same class until the birth of Pro Stock in 1970. (Well, there was match racing in 1969.) 

On 8/2/2019 at 10:27 PM, Bucky said:

I built this one to while away the hours waiting on paint to dry on other projects, and on days when it was raining around here:

DSC00981-vi.jpgDSC00982-vi.jpgDSC00991-vi.jpg

This one has the pearl white paint. I didn't foil the trim, and some of it is kind of out of register, anyway. I don't remember having trouble with the engine fit. I have 6 more of these Dodges, in hardtop and droptop form. Plenty projects for rainy days!!

I like that one. I want to build my dark red convertible, but the body and hood are two different colors, so back in the box it went. Since I have to strip it, I can work it over to my satisfaction.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:53 AM, Snake45 said:

I was thinking Landy ran a Dodge van or truck I-beam front axle (and even tried to get it certified for A/FX use because it was a factory part) on his '65, but maybe he added that later in the year. I'll have to do some more research on that. :unsure:

That is correct, it was a factory part. A van axle. The entire frame firewall forward from the Red WAgon kit fits the Johan 64 Dodge perfectly, never tried it on the Coronet.

Edited by GaryR