Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bill Stillwagon

I have just looked at all the pics posted of the Toledo NNL....man oh man, I will say, that the quality of models being built, in my humble opinion is at the highest level that I have seen in a long time. And year after year, show after show Mr. Bill Stillwagon has on a continuous bases....blown me away!!!!! You have your builders that are super detail builders and their work is amazing. And then there are the box stock kit builders...their super clean execution to make a box stock look so good always impresses me. The total scratch built guys that take something that has never been produced and make it a reality. The curbside builders who mostly concentrate on paint, finish and stance (because its a curbside you can get real low etc.) I am mostly a curbside builder. And then, last but not least, there are builders that no matter what subject matter, no matter if it is super detailed, box stock, scratch built or curbside, always, always, always...have "the look". Mr. Bill Stillwagon's models always, always, always have "the look". I'm sure that I am not alone on this, but I could walk into any NNL whether there are 300 models or 1400 models and can always pick out....a Bill Stillwagon model. So, I just wanted to give mad props to a builder that over the years....has always givin me the opportunity to say "man, aint she sweet". I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Stillwagon and maybe never will but I just wanted to say Thanks....can't wait to see whats next B) .

Edited by BKIN10SECS

Bill is one of the nicest and coolest modelers i know B) he's very humble about his accomplishments and is always willing to help out when he can. he's passed some very helpful advice to me and is a blast to hang out with too.

Dave

I'll second this statement. I got to meet Mr Stillwagon at the CKM show last month. I had questions about his Starliner F/C.Paint to be exact and he told me the tricks he used on it.Very nice man.

Bill is one of the nicest and coolest modelers i know B) he's very humble about his accomplishments and is always willing to help out when he can. he's passed some very helpful advice to me and is a blast to hang out with too.

A few years back I was at an IPMS show in Fairfax - Northern Virginia...I had a couple of nostalgia type models on the table...a flat black '30 Model "A" dry lakes racer..and a flat red narrow bodied Track "T"...I'm a fairly competent builder/detailer but not an experienced painter...( I have a lot to learn in that area.) Anyway..my two models were only on the table a few minutes when this grey haired gent came up to me and complimented me on the subject matter and authenticity of the post-War "look"..I didn't catch his name that day but met him later at some MAMA meetings in Maryland.. his "Lead Sleds" are always beautifully executed and his stylish builds & colorful finishes have raised the bar considerably ... given the talent that hangs at those MAMA meetings that's no small achievement. I enjoyed picking his brain on how he attains his awesome paint jobs...he's always ready to share a tip or two.

What???? :D You never met Billy Stillwagon??? ;) That's the guy signing autographs at the shows, that's how good he is!!! I am happy and proud to call him a friend, a club member and one of the coolest guys you will ever meet!!!! B)

Bill is one of the most influential, creative kustom modelers I have ever met. His work in person is to behold. On top of that, he is down to earth and very nice to talk to. He is a member on TRaK and I love it when he surprises us with new builds! I was stuck here at home this NNL....wish I could have seen his new truck in person ~drool~

I also wish to throw my hat into the ring on this subject. Bill Stillwagon is one of the nicest, friendliest guy you will likely ever meet. This Yankee gives a nod to the consummate Southern Gentlemen.

HHMBBILLSTILLWAGONPhotoby-vi.jpg

Photo by Don Banes

Bill is a great guy and one heck of a builder always fun to talk too also now if only I can get my paint to come out like his.

You took the words right outta my mouse, Tom. Matt T. introduced me to Bill about 3 or 4 years ago at the NNL East, and he is now on my list of 'must see' folks at that event....and the stuff he brings to the tables is also a thrill.

Kinda funny story: I actually spoke with Bill briefly about 6 years ago at the same event, after he was done 'parking' one of his models on the table; I casually asked him how he did a few things, and he graciously took the time to show-and-tell with me. I thanked him for sharing, complimented his work, and appreciated the kindness he showed to a total stranger - I'm admittedly still kinda strange, but no stranger any more. :blink:

:lol:;)

It just stinks...I never get to meet any of my idolized peers..like Bill.

But y'now I am here in paradise and when the snow is 18" and still coming down Then I remember why I'm here.

So as a result we don't do NNL or anything down here in the Fort Myers area....but it is a great vacation area so come on down!!!

:lol:;):lol:

:angry::angry:

It just stinks...I never get to meet any of my idolized peers..like Bill.

But y'now I am here in paradise and when the snow is 18" and still coming down Then I remember why I'm here.

So as a result we don't do NNL or anything down here in the Fort Myers area....but it is a great vacation area so come on down!!!

:lol:;):lol:

Yer a mean one , Mr Mike !

It's not nice to mention snow and Florida in the same sentence !

I get to paint pretty much when ever I like , no humidity , heat , ehhhhh , not bad . Paint windows kinda suck in Paradise , you are limited ! Shoulda moved to Pa. , Bud ! All 4 seasons , lots more paint window opportunities , and easier access to all of those idolized peers . :lol: Most are only a state or two away at the shows !

If I come down , do I get to play with all the toys in your shop or do I have to bring my own ? :rolleyes:

The Old Man

Yer a mean one , Mr Mike !

It's not nice to mention snow and Florida in the same sentence !

I get to paint pretty much when ever I like , no humidity , heat , ehhhhh , not bad . Paint windows kinda suck in Paradise , you are limited ! Shoulda moved to Pa. , Bud ! All 4 seasons , lots more paint window opportunities , and easier access to all of those idolized peers . :rolleyes: Most are only a state or two away at the shows !

If I come down , do I get to play with all the toys in your shop or do I have to bring my own ? :angry:

The Old Man

After spending 40 + in Beertown I used to think you needed snow!!!

As far as humidity here you must paint in A/C controlled areas or no painting year round. I have my daughter going to school in Philly and it gets waaay too cold there no thank you!..Anyone can play in my shop...but ya gotta bring some toys!!! :lol::lol::angry:

After spending 40 + in Beertown I used to think you needed snow!!!

As far as humidity here you must paint in A/C controlled areas or no painting year round. I have my daughter going to school in Philly and it gets waaay too cold there no thank you!..Anyone can play in my shop...but ya gotta bring some toys!!! :blink::DB)

Awww!

No sharing with the Old Man ? If I were'nt so old , I might still have feelings left to hurt . :blink: You are correct , temp control is important . Both shops are controlled and it makes life so much easier, one less thing I have to worry about . This weekend is going to be perfect , tempwise , for painting and I intend to take full advantage of it !

As for the thread reply , Although I've never met Bill Stillwagon , I've heard nothing but good things. Coming from the people that I know , Bill is a class act.

The Old Man

THAT'S Bill Stillwagen???? I stood RIGHT NEXT to him while he was setting his models up and never knew who he was!!! My BAD for sure!!! He had at least 4/5 models there, ALL to kill for!!! This gentleman IS AMAZING! SOOO much talent! If I get the chance to actually talk with him next year, I sure as heck'll take advantage of it!!! :P;):lol:

I have to agree with every statement made here, he is one of the best people you will ever meet. When I first joined MAMA back in '03 or "04 we were talking about impalas after which I gave him a failed project. It was a 58 impala which I glued the doors closed and added the custom front/rear bumpers to it, nothing else just the body. I was amazed to see it the following month built up.

DSCN0071-vi.jpg

DSCN0069-vi.jpg

DSCN0067-vi.jpg

Edited by lowriderphil