Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sketch Pad Art

Jairus

Hello members of Model Cars Forum! I see that this portion of the forum gets little attention… but then you guys and gals are largely modelers and not artists by choice. So… I thought I would start a thread I will entitle “SketchPad Art†because this is the place to request and post SketchPad subjects that were printed in past issues of MCM, Hot Rod, SAE, Rod & Custom, etc. (Provided I have them available)

BUT….Not just from my drawing board mind you but the request could be toward any artist including Harry and Brad to be used as a reference for all!

What brought this on is that I received a request for an image yesterday that was printed in an issue of MCM awhile back. I couldn’t for the life of me remember the issue… but I sure as heck had the image so I sent it via PM.

But… thought that you guys would like to have it here as well for everyone’s edification and so… TADA!

60Starliner72dpi-vi.jpg

Anything else you’d like to see , one only need ask here or via PM!

Incidentally, I am also a member of Motorburg! Motorburg is a forum for automotive artists. Charley Smith, Ed Newton and other big names in the industry originally established the site as a sharing experience for like minds and we continued to grow. Members have a lot of fun discussing old art, business practices, computer illustration along with actual airbrush work. It is fun… but by invitation only in order to become a member. However, viewers are not restricted from seeing some of the fantastic and inspirational designs produced by some of the best in the business. (not me… I am only moderately talented compared to these guys :lol: )

All that, and they have a model car section too!

Thank you Brendan. I will consider that for a future piece... nothing in my archives like that currently. But good idea!

chopper2_72-vi.jpg

This piece I did for Revell prior to the release of the chopper series. The guys at Revell needed something in color to give them direction and to show the public once the project was announced. There are 4 images produced from photos of the prototype mockup and the pictures were originally posted on Revell's web site for a time. :lol:

Sorry, No! Pretty much required that the subjects be available as plastic kits. HRM, Custom Classic Trucks and R&C images were not always under that restriction... but instead dictated by what the editor wanted to see. So Chev, Dodge and even Ford from the mid 70's through most of the 80's are pretty much untouched territory by me. Harry? Brad? Anyone?

Until then... I think this is from that era. :lol:

Jeepart72dpi-vi.jpg

Edited by Jairus

Sorry, No! Pretty much required that the subjects be available as plastic kits. HRM, Custom Classic Trucks and R&C images were not always under that restriction... but instead dictated by what the editor wanted to see. So Chev, Dodge and even Ford from the mid 70's through most of the 80's are pretty much untouched territory by me. Harry? Brad? Anyone?

Not me. Don't do trucks much. Actually, not at all...

I just got a spark recently to do a Chevy SSR, which would be really cut up in the end .. but I'd love to see anything you guys have done on this subject. You ALWAYS get my juices flowing, Jairus .. PLASTIC juices, that is .. :lol:

Andrew... bet you have not seen this one! :D

69Torino72dpi-vi.jpg

Now I got TWO Torino projects based on your artwork!!! Awesome stuff my friend!

One of my "down the road" projects is a Talladega Land Speed Racer but I never thought about doing one as a quarter-miler. Thanks for some inspiration!

Was this a Johnny Lightning artwork?

Edited by torinobradley

Andrew, yes that was for JL blistercard art for the "Spoiler" series. The detailing in the photo is not quite as .... detailed because it was only about an inch and a half across when printed.

Jason, I don't have any '53 - 54 Chev sedan deliveries in my stuff... that I remember. But good subject for a future Sketchpad! Hmmmmm

Edited by Jairus

Andrew, yes that was for JL blistercard art for the "Spoiler" series. The detailing in the photo is not quite as .... detailed because it was only about an inch and a half across when printed.

Jason, I don't have any '53 - 54 Chev sedan deliveries in my stuff... that I remember. But good subject for a future Sketchpad! Hmmmmm

How much work did you do for JL? I'm thinking that I just might have a lot more of your artwork than I thought...

How much work did you do for JL? I'm thinking that I just might have a lot more of your artwork than I thought...

Lots of stuff from 2003 through late 2005. Nearly all of the Zingers were designed by me and all the blistercard art for the Zingers were mine through 2005. After that they used office staff to design them. Sucks really....

Also did a few designs for the Spoiler's and In-Progress. Then a ton of blistercard art for Kustomized, Spoilers, In-progress, All-American, Black-w/Flames, Moon Eyes,Rebel Rods.. etc.

Also designed three Black with Flames cars, the 66 GTO, 71 Cyclone and the School Bus. Cyclone below...

71MercCyclone09772dpi-vi.jpg

:wub: