Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dukes of Hazzard Roscoe's Police Car

buba39

• 2 weeks later...
yep. but I heard it will have new tool parts in it. like the correct chassis

That's what I hear- it will have the correct single exhaust setup. Vice versa, the '74 GTX will be reissued with the dual exhaust chassis. Huh. Wonder if they just switched chassis plates between the two kits?

yall know amt u know how they are tight with $$
some how i dont think there will be any change

It's not the same AMT company. AMT was sold to Round 2, and I have been in contact with John Greczula. The AMT/Ertl company put out sub-standard kits, but they no longer own AMT. I have read nothing but good things about Round 2, and from what I've seen of their kits I've purchased, I have nothing but great things to say about them.

It's not the same AMT company. AMT was sold to Round 2, and I have been in contact with John Greczula. The AMT/Ertl company put out sub-standard kits, but they no longer own AMT. I have read nothing but good things about Round 2, and from what I've seen of their kits I've purchased, I have nothing but great things to say about them.

I agree there stuff is 99% better than when ERTL owned them and the other company that I'm forgetting about.

BTW Buba the Dukes smokey car was first then they used the Dukes kit and repoped it as the TJ hooker car, then Gothem patrol car with diffrent box art and decals.

all i was trying to say is look at the tj hooker police car and the goon car are you goine to tell me that some one is goine to shell out a ton of $ to revamp a old kit when they are still makeing $ off the old kits call me crazy but in todays market i whoud not do it

My understanding is that Learning Curve/RC2 (aka Racing Champions) still owns AMT, ERTL, and Polar Lights. Round 2 leases the tooling and does the marketing.

That's what I hear- it will have the correct single exhaust setup. Vice versa, the '74 GTX will be reissued with the dual exhaust chassis. Huh. Wonder if they just switched chassis plates between the two kits?

My understanding is that's exactly what they are doing. It will also be molded in white this time.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Over the years I've had a lot of fun with the Dukes Dodge police car kit. Here's a few.

78dirt-vi.jpg

This is probably my original version. This was built in 1984 and used some decals I had had done.

tjhooker1-vi.jpg

This one is from 1985. This is the TJ Hooker version, with some changes (wheels, light bar, more detail). This actually became the Gotham City Police Car box art model for the original version of that kit in 1989. It was destroyed in photography.

78dare-vi.jpg

My one and only "slam model." The chassis is shoved up inside the body (no interior) and the wheels are glued directly to the chassis to get the proper stance. Decals are all dry transfer or handpainted.

78ycso-vi.jpg

This was built for "Build and Detail Scale Model Trucks and Emergency Vehicles." It's a curbside. My favorite, though.

Terry

Dang, Terry Jesse...sum of a gun...I used to e mail you back ...a long time ago!

Yeah, once YOU left **, it died! I learned more from your topics than anyone elses. Of course, I'm a 'Weathering' freak anyway, but it goes hand in hand with Commerciial aspects anyway.

-Mike

You do some incredible work Terry! I never tire of it. Can a stock Monaco be built from this kit?

Same here .... I've been a fan of Terry's work for a long time. Paul Hettick built and and sold a beautiful Civilian 4dr Monaco. IIRC, he added a vinyl top, body side moldings, full wheel covers and whitewall tires. It looked like it was right out of a Dealers brochure.

-Steve

You do some incredible work Terry! I never tire of it. Can a stock Monaco be built from this kit?

Yes, but you'll need to find some different wheel covers. The early editions of the Dodge pickup (73-74?) had a wheelcover that would be suitable, but otherwise it's a stock Monaco. I'm waiting to see what they did with the chassis. It's been too short for the last two or three incarnations. AMT changed it somehow and it hasn't been right since.

Otherwise, you can. It's not the greatest kit in the world. You might want to get underpinnings and engine compartment/wheelwells from a '71 Dodge Charger.

It just is what it is....

Terry

after watching smokey and the bandit i have a few questons what is the weard hoodscoop what year monaco were used in the movie and do any one make a one pece grill

a ) They actually used mid-70's Plymouth Furys, not Monacos.

b ) The hood scoops were similar to the ones used on the Trans Am, the "shaker" style (that shook with the engine).

Edited by YJIslander

• 2 weeks later...

The reissue is the same as the old DOH and TJ hooker car,it has the correct single exhaust and the chassis looks like the same ones that came in the originals,and to make the factory stock verison of this kit,you need the steering wheel from the 80-82 dodge vans,and the wheel covers fron the 78 Dodge Van ,kit Number 7822 or the 79 Dodge magic van molded in silver ,The wheels from the 72-76 Dodge Trucks are wrong,unless you are converting won to the 75-76 fury or coronet!any resin casters listiening?and if you are,please please plate the wheels,i'd buy atleast 6 sets of them!

after watching smokey and the bandit i have a few questons what is the weard hoodscoop what year monaco were used in the movie and do any one make a one pece grill

I think that scoop was the one that was available from a company called CalCustom. (Chrome air cleaners, spark plug wire looms, surfers feet gas pedals, chrome valve covers) They were made of cast metal and were seen on the shelves of Pep Boys back in the day. I say Pep Boys because back then I was living in California and PB was only in Cali back then.