Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Kenworth conventional and reefer

I'm sure everybody who loves trucks will recognize this one:) I started out with a Watkins tractor/trailer set from AMT. The reefer trailer is pretty much stock except for leaving off the fuel tank, and adding a spare tire rack.

I shortened the wheelbase on the tractor by 18", and added torsion bar suspension, like the truck in the opening credits. You can just make out the ends of the torsion bar on the passenger side of the truck when the camera shows the drive line and front rear end. I also added another battery box to the passenger side. I painted out most of the chrome, as per the movie truck, and just left a few pieces here and there. Both the tractor and trailer were painted flat black, and the coated with model master gloss coat.

The decals are from Modeltruckin, and were a bear to get right on the truck. It took some patients to get them to settle down over the rivets. There are a few misalignment's but they are acceptable. The trailer decals were nice, but it was almost impossible to get all the tiny air bubbles out from under the huge side decals.

All in all it was a fun project and I'm glad I finally have a scale model of my all time favorite Kenworth. Now I just have to dig out that Trans AM model in the closet to go with it.

P1010188.JPG

P1010189.JPG

P1010197.JPG

P1010192.JPG

P1010196.JPG

P1010194.JPG

Great looking truck. I had no idea they made the decals for this. I always wanted to build one.

I just watched the movies again last week. Reason being, that I just bought a Revell metal Bandit T/A off of e models and I wanted to check it for accuracy. I'm going to try some sandpaper on a pencil eraser on the dash board before I paint it gold. I hope to get that circular polished looked to it like the orginal T/A has.

Got any links for decals and kits? I'd love to have the set myself. If I could find the kits and decals I'd also like to do the Moving On KW and the K100 Aerodyne CEO from B.J and the Bear. Have no clue where to look for the kits or decals.

Wow Bill, you've done a beautiful job on the Snowmans rig!!!!!!!! I told Brad to get in here and check it out! I have his decals as well. Really cool stuff!

Looks like you did your homework when you built it. Where did you find the information such as the correct wheelbase?

What is the correct wheelbase?

Really nice work!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys:

It was a blast to build. Ben I just guessed on the wheelbase. I actually just took a scale 18" out of the frame to what it looked like in the movie. I must have watched the opening credits 5o times to catch little things like the torsion bar suspension. There are actually 2-3 different trucks in the movie so I tried just to get the 73' right, such as the gold Kenworth emblems.

Cheers:

Bill

Hey Bill, on the big side mural trailer decals, did you apply them over black or did you paint that area white behind them? I was worried that the decal may be a bit translucent and that if applied over a black surface, the black would show through a little? Kind of like when some white decals are put over red paint and they appear pink afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...