Model Cars Magazine Forum

Charlie Allen Saddleback Dart Funny Car Completed

Fuel Coupe

DSC_3224.jpg

DSC_3222.jpg

DSC_3221.jpg

DSC_3230.jpg

Well thats it.

I'm not one of the super stars here on the board so I know its not perfect. There's a few issues I want to work out on it such as some paint/decal issues that may require a repaint. and some basic cleanliness issues with glue. But for the most part it is done and off my workbench for a while anyway as of tomorrow.

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome...

Edited by TxRat

I'm not one of the super stars here on the board so I know its not perfect.

I don't know who rates as a "superstar" here, but I do know that you did one heck of a job on this model... it looks terrific! I love funny cars from this era, when they still looked like cars, not "bubbles"... your model is extremely well done.

Come on, Shane. Your cars are outstanding.

The scratch built detail you put into them is second to none. That body-off view and detail close-ups really shows off the work you put into it. Is there a story behind your choice of this car to build? It's a good one.

I appreciate all the comments guys. Ive never been published and probably never will. There are some very gifted guys on this board and their work simply astounds me and they are the ones that deserve the mag time...

I try to pick up one something they have done and add it to my arsenal. The Dart isnt as nice as I want it to be. There are some paint issues as I said before that I have since resolved on some other builds and will most likely redo do the body to correct them.

As far as subject matter goes, I generally pick a car that isn't of the norm and not done to death. I would love to do the 68 car as I have it on good authority from Slixx that it is in the works for a later time. Keeping fingers crossed....

Thanks again for the comments...

Edited by TxRat

This is a wonderfully detailed and executed build Shane.....

I understand your feelings about it not being what YOU want though. The builder/artist is usually never happy with their creation. They have a vision of what they want. They execute, and a true artist almost always falls short of what they envision. For the rest of us Phillistines, it's usually far and away from what we can do. Never more true than here brother.

Quality from top to bottom.

Bob F

Edited by Dragline

Shane, C'mon now Bro, Your just as good as ANY of the so called SUPERSTARS!!! You just work in a different vein,that's all! That bad boy sure looks good to me! The Saddle Back Dart has ALWAYS been one of my favorite funnies( caz I LOVE that body style!) All the extra stuff you add just makes it THAT much better! Heck Bro, I'd put it on MY shelf JUST LIKE IT IS! Looks like the Saddle Back Probly would sound like it, an that's good enuff for me. But then again, THAT'S me! I'd put ANY of your builds on MY shelf!!! GREAT JOB Bro, you dun REAL GOOD!!! ;););)

Thanks Guys, Yes the seat is hand formed aluminum as well as all the interior tin work including the dog house. the rear brakes are handmade and the wheel studs have threads and will accept lug nuts, the ladder bars are made from stainless tubing. all the suspension is poseable and works. the front axle is brass and chrome plated. the engine and plumbing is accurate to the real car. like I said there are a few loose ends that need to be tidied up but for now its done.

Excellent work Shane. Don't sell yourself short. Your work and your skill is right up there with anyone's building ability. But remember, the only person you have to please is yourself. So, if your happy with the final outcome then your build is a winner. Again, great job!

Excellent work Shane. Don't sell yourself short. Your work and your skill is right up there with anyone's building ability. But remember, the only person you have to please is yourself. So, if your happy with the final outcome then your build is a winner. Again, great job!

Thanks alot Wayne, I'm trying to move onto some more realistic builds with a little wear using washes and such. Which this one has very little of...

Guys Im not too much on adding tutorials in my progress threads but if anyone has any questions or just want to make comments good or bad Im listening...

Shane, as Dave said you're your own worst critic. This is a beautiful build, so what if it has somethings that you'd like to change. I'm the same way, if there ever comes a time when I'm happy with a finished project, I'll quit building. That's what this and countless other forums are for, to share ideas and improve our skill set with each and every build.

Like Wayne said, don't sell your self short, knowing his building ability (getting my butt beat by him countless times) take that as a compliment, you ARE the only person you need to please.

As for being published, I've had 1 build published in 46 years of building (thanks Gregg), It's great, you get to be the hero until the next issue hits the mailboxes and news stands. Then you're just another crazy who builds plastic models. :lol: :lol:

BTW, outstanding Build, I like the fact that you seek uncommon subjects for your projects.

• 3 years later...

DSC_3224.jpg

DSC_3222.jpg

DSC_3221.jpg

DSC_3230.jpg

Well thats it.

I'm not one of the super stars here on the board so I know its not perfect. There's a few issues I want to work out on it such as some paint/decal issues that may require a repaint. and some basic cleanliness issues with glue. But for the most part it is done and off my workbench for a while anyway as of tomorrow.

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome...

Shane, many are drawn and wowed to some of these "super stars" by shiny paint and such, and miss all the total inaccuracies and outright wrongs in these "super star's" builds. On the other hand, you are true to correctness and to me, THAT is waaaaaay more impressive ........ I have followed this build from the start, VERY well done Shane!!

Alan

Edited by Alan

Hey Shane I agree with Wayne you are selling yourself short man that is a very impressive build and don't let anyone tell you any different you did a super job and if I were you I would keep doing what you are doing like someone said you got to please you!! :D