Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/Model King '53/'54 Chevy gasser

Mr. Metallic

i had problems on the last issue of this kit (1987?) with the top front edge of the roof at the windshield not being fully formed; it left a huge gap above the glass. glad to hear the two piece tires are gone; i NEVER liked using revell tires other than the one piece vinyl tires in the '55/'56 chevy kits. the kit 409 w motor can be tweaked and detailed somewhat to make it look a little better; one of the weak spots on this kit is the really thin rear springs. probably a liitle too close to scale, they're very fragile; i've often had to repair them even during the build. i'm gonna grab one when the LHS gets them , tho; i got plenty of parts to replace kit stuff!

does the reissue still have both grilles; the 53 and the 54?

i recall also the spaghetti-thin exhaust pipes the old kits had; always swapped in something else, usually the duals from AMT 49 ford, altered to fit better.

is the scale accurate to where it would not be acceptable to adapt the monogram 53 belair engine/wheels? i know some older kits kind of fudge the scale (sometimes due to mold deterioration and not on purpose) and the difference between 1/24 and 1/25 not so noticeable in those cases. at any rate, i'd build mine as a low-dollar backyard drag racer, probably with the six banger in it and full "aged" interior. got some new ideas for strengthening those thin rear springs, too. one is to simulate a set of airlift springs between the axle and the frame; the other is a set of ladder bars similar to quicksilver kit. others come to mind, too many to list.

any thoughts on converting that gasser axle to poseable steering?

• 2 months later...

The kit does have both of the grilles included, 53 & 54. I just finished this kit and found it not bad. I will post pictures when I get some taken. one problem is the bumpers are attached heavily to the spruce trees so when cut off they leave white cuts on the ends. well thats what silver paint or chrome foil helps with.

• 1 month later...

flatheadgary, this kit had all the hinges and door panels to build the kit with the doors open if the builder cut the door themselves. If this was done well, it would look like factory on a completed kit. That is probably what you have. There was also a monogram 53 chev but it was a BelAir. Its doors were molded closed also. Hope this helps.

thanks for reply but i built this kit back around '76 and i didn't cut them open. i was building kits with this girl freinds kid. i just wanted to get him interested in models and i don't think i would have shown him something as complex as that. he was only 10 or so. i wish i had a camera to show you. oh well,

I got one and was not happy with the fit of the glass. Looks like I have some major body work in front of me. Also the rear deck lid sort of drops off abruptly, it needs more of a radius to it. At least that involves taking material off.

I'm a bit disappointed but will still enjoy building a mild custom out of it.

Bob

Both this tool and the sedan delivery were typical of Revell's late 60s early 70s tooling. AWFUL! The subjects are great but it takes a lot of work to just bring these kits up to the OK level. It's great that they are available again. Perhaps the guts from an AMT 51 can go in and some detail parts can come from Monograms version. Too much work!

• 2 weeks later...

G-day fellas, after reading about the opening door's i went and checked my original revell kits. Yes they have the door panels and hinges but no marks inside of the body to follow to open them . So i then went and pulled out the revell catalog of 74-75 and found that the only one that did have opening doors , was the 53 chevy panel H-1376 which had opening back door and cab doors and hood . I hope this helps with the discussion on the doors , cheer's . :(

• 5 years later...

Model kings versions are all ( in most cases ) some kind of re-issue / old kit. He basically buys the entire run to have the kit re-issued.

Some are just straight repops , some have model king only parts/decals included .

What this tells me is the tooling exists and the manufactures will at some point ( probably ) re-release it on there own.

Yep, same 'ol Revell '53/4 Chevy sedan which includes the "gasser" high-rise front leaf springs and straight axle, as well as a blown 409(?). Typical '60s Revell kit, which is to say, not the best, and definitely nowhere close to modern standards.

I believe this kit shares many of its parts with the '53/4 Sedan Delivery kit, and whoever did the box art for this kit cleverly disguised the six-spoke billet wheels which were tooled up in the mid '80s when the SD kit was reissued with the Brian Borden(?)-style graphics.

Model King is Dave Burkett out of New Jersey. He has private runs done, and does his own box art and decal art. He's run this kit at least 3 times now that I can think of in the last 10 years. Most of the time they're straight reissues of however the last issue from the manufacturer was, in this case this kit still has very 90's looking billet wheels.

He generally takes on kits that deserve to be reissued, but the manufacturers are somewhat hesitant about bringing back. Since he assumes all the risk of the entire production run, they'll make it without having to worry about selling it.

The kit is a reissue of the 1960's era Revell kit with Model King box and decals.

This is really a rerun of a sell out of this kit from MK a few years ago. It can be built into a decent kit but is a 50 plus year old mold. 53 or 54 and a number of other options are included.

Edited by Dave Van

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 12/2/2006 at 8:52 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

Not to correct you Ken, but I don't think the doors and trunk were ever "molded" open. I think they have always been part of the body and been up to the builder to open them up using the supplied plastic hinges. I could be wrong

Thanks for the review.

Craig, you are basically correct. The doors have always been molded one piece with the body. However, in the older issues, the door lines were deep enough that it took very little to open them. In fact, i seem to recall a few where you could see right through in places.

I hope Atlantis acquired the tool(s) and will do something cool with them.

Edited by Dave Darby

4 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Craig, you are basically correct. The doors have always been molded one piece with the body. However, in the older issues, the door lines were deep enough that it took very little to open them.

Does Atlantis own the former-Revell '53/'54 Chevy molds?

Per your comments regarding the "openable" doors:

RevellH120554ChevyHighboy7-vi.jpg.8ea9723f342977050c777ebf897886bc.jpg

Edited by Casey

I had a 53\54 Sedan Delivery in the old Red, White & Blue boxing from the 1970's. It was molded in that cream-coloured, almost translucent plastic that Revell used back then.

The Door Opening lines were so thin, that I remember holding the body up to the light and seeing bright light, all the way through them. Actual holes!

I wish I still had he kit.

Oddly enough, I remember being blown away by how detailed the 409 was  in that kit, and having a choice between the two engine intake options.  That was the first time I had ever seen that in a car kit!