Model Cars Magazine Forum

TRIANGULA! 8th Scale Showcar! Progress 1-15-12

Ira

ATRILA1x.JPG

Triangula is an 8th scale show car powered by a Honda 750-4 Cylinder Motorcycle Engine. Triangula started with a box of old used Lindberg 12th scale "SC100" parts.

The body was lengthend 2" & most of the bottom half of the SC100 was cut off on an angle & replaced with sheet plastic. The interior was rebuilt in a single person configeration with sheet plastic & an 8th scale IROC Camaro Seat. The front of the body was cut out to make room for the front wheels. The rear of the body was modified to fit the new larger rear wheels & the wider track. The bubbletop was replaced with the top from a Monogram 12th scale Ferrari Testarossa. The rear fins are from the 24th scale Monogram Predicta Show Car.

ATRILA2x.JPG

Just getting started on the Triangula, comments or suggestions welcome!

Here are a few photos:

ATRILA3x.JPG

Edited by Ira

I sooooo excited that you posted this. I have been trying to remember a build I did when I was about 8-9 i even posted something a month or so ago about what it might have been asking for help figuring it out. I know for certian that this is the kit I have been looking for.

The only thing I could remember was that the box art was purple and that it had knock offs (I thought it had wire wheels) and that I thought is was a 1/12 scale kit. This is soo cool. Thanks for sharing your build. I like your version much better then the SC100. Now if I can only find one for myself.

I sooooo excited that you posted this. I have been trying to remember a build I did when I was about 8-9 i even posted something a month or so ago about what it might have been asking for help figuring it out. I know for certian that this is the kit I have been looking for.

The only thing I could remember was that the box art was purple and that it had knock offs (I thought it had wire wheels) and that I thought is was a 1/12 scale kit. This is soo cool. Thanks for sharing your build. I like your version much better then the SC100. Now if I can only find one for myself.

You should be able to find one of these on Ebay, if not a a local hobby shop. These kits have been released many times with different names & boxart. Do a "12th Scale" Search on Ebay & see what comes up!

first of all welcome to the site ! :D . something about that model reminds me of the stingeree car. at least i think that's what it's called. It's a stretched out vette' that kind of looks like that.

Anyway..... :lol: .....Looks like this build is going to be pretty neat. I can't wait to see how it comes out. :P

Edited by vizio93

So then this is the same kit as the Diamond Duster? The Duster looks like the roof/windsheild is different. or is it just the box art that is making it look different?

Yes, there are bubbletop versions & then there are versions with a low wrap around windshield. I believe there are only 2 different versions & many different versions of the box art.

first of all welcome to the site ! B) . something about that model reminds me of the stingeree car. at least i think that's what it's called. It's a stretched out vette' that kind of looks like that.

Anyway..... :D .....Looks like this build is going to be pretty neat. I can't wait to see how it comes out. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words Billy, Glad you like it!

Hello Ira, and welcome to this place! I remember your stuff from the old Car Model mags of the early 70's. If you're the same Ira..... :rolleyes: Some were maybe a bit wacky, and some were cool. You always had different ideas, and it's the same thing with this one. I like it, the front end looks good! Keep up the good work.

Hello Ira, and welcome to this place! I remember your stuff from the old Car Model mags of the early 70's. If you're the same Ira..... ;) Some were maybe a bit wacky, and some were cool. You always had different ideas, and it's the same thing with this one. I like it, the front end looks good! Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

Yes, I wrote for Car Model Magazine back in the 1970's. I have also been writing for the Goodguys Goodtimes Gazette for the last few years.

Glad you like the Triangula project!

Edited by Ira

• 2 years later...

I modified the Tamiya 12th scale Testarossa front bulkhead & suspension to fit the Triangula.

DSCN1174.jpg

Looks like it will work just fine!

I am using the exhaust pipes from the Honda 750 on the TRIANGULA.

I cut the cap from a Sharpie Marker in half and glued half to each side.

This will create openings for the exhaust pipes to come from.

DSCN1176.jpg

I wanted the side pipes to look like they are coming out of the side of the body, so I did some grinding...

I ground out a groove for the side pipes with the Dremel Tool. Then I used a round file & sandpaper to shape it.

DSCN2212TR.jpg

Here is the pipe in place.

DSCN2216TR.jpg

Now for a little more primer!

I've been a fan of your work for some time now, and my appreciation for the finished projects is multiplied 10-fold by seeing what you do to get them there.

Thanks for the kind words Daniel!

I think the construction photos are some of the most interesting shots in a project. I really enjoy seeing other modelers projects in progess too.