Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cool Hot Rod seen on Ebay

I am not a big fan of rat rods. They seem to be lazy efforts and kind of half-assed in my opinion with some exceptions of course. I do like the spirit of them however.

This isn't a rat rod of course because the craftsmanship is obviously too nice but it captures some of more fun qualities of the rat rods. I love the mix of 20s and 50s design on this one.

Hot Rod on Ebay

That shifter doesn't look too comfortable...

.......nor does the seat.

I always felt that a hoodless ride should have power oozing out of the engine compartment. It just looks better when all of the space is filled...and then some. Too bad the tires wouldn't have a chance against that hemi although they look good on it.

that's a very nice looking rod! I don't like the wheels though , it needs more meat for that Hemi. Not that I could complain, but as nice and well done as it is.....I wonder why they didn't take the time to put a hump and nice carpet over that tranny? Shifter could be changed out too. Personally I really enjoyed looking at it, just has a few things I would change if it was mine...but I can't complain.

Very nicely constructed but, in the end, like too many cars of this genre, it's a cynical and disjointed collection of cliches and must-haves, a "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" check-list build designed to appeal to "your gold chain buddies". It's funny how I will admire and enjoy this style when it's done in car modeling but in the 1:1 world I'm far less tolerant. I guess the thought that it claims to be driveable (and street legal at that!) is just a bit too much for me... B):lol:

Real nice color,too bad there weren't any other pics! Wouldn't even attempt to bid on sumpthin ya can't see a GOOD picture of. :lol:

I thought there were plenty of pics. George, I dunno if'n ya scrolled down fer 'nuf, but they there. Ya may take another gander at 'em.

I would think that a builder of such a car would put more time in the body lines(i.e. doors and trunk)

Edited by mountaindewd

Very nice show rod.

Street Legal doesn't mean it is a good driving car. :)

I don't know what part of Alberta that car is in but with the low ride height, minimal tire side wall, and buggy spring in the front, I guarantee that it would ride like ###### on the Canadian roads.

Dave,

I agree with most of what you wrote, however I have never seen a "U" joint break on the street. Strip yes... but on the street?

As for the style... I believe it is a "Nostalgia" rod, which is built in the spirit of the era. Frankly I think the wheels are fine for 90% of what this rod will be doing... cruising! If you want a well riding machine then buy a Toyota. This is a cruising "LOOK AT ME" rod and I personally like it.

Sure... a set of cutout's and mufflers might be a good idea (or a roll of chicken wire stuffed up the tube) in order to not go deaf.

Ah well, it's all for the fun anyway, not suppose to be a commuter.

:)

Put a set of steelies on it, weld a cutout and add an exhaust system to it, add an insulated cover for the trans and fer petes' sake, a speedometer and you would have something. The Model A rims look nice but just aint up for early hemi propulsion. Black or gold steelies would look period correct and be safer and more responsive. Hopefully there's some sheetmetal over the front u-joint that is under the seat or the driveshaft flogging would be possible. Belts for the occupants would be a nice touch too. But it does look nice.

"Full AB Registered street legal"...

A car with open exhaust and no speedo is street legal in Alberta??? :)

Can you fill me in about this speedo you talk about? lol. Yea open exhaust is alright, and you don't need to have cats on to be legal.

Edited by Shooner