Model Cars Magazine Forum

Snap 359-in Progress

• 3 weeks later...

Originally, I had planned on Winslow stripes for this one. They were 2 tone blue and silver from JBot. I clear coated them as recommended. However, the clear coat made them wrinkle up. All was not lost, though. This set from modeltruckin.com was a surprise included in an ebay purchase of a kit made last year. They are a variation of the Winslow stripes. I will need to repaint the interior Oxblood Red, but I like how they turned out. Even with one or 2 mishaps, I think they turned out nice.

100_2553.jpg

100_2552.jpg

100_2557.jpg

100_2555.jpg

A little clean up on the stripes and she'll be ready for the next phase. I am curious, since I will be going with the Oxblood Red interior instead, anyone know of a good color for that?

Good choice of colors! Love the stripes. Makes it look like a Laidlaw truck somewhat. Like it a lot. How are the decals reacting installing them on the body? They look pretty neatly done. I just got some similar one from modeltruckin' myself. Do you have to coat them with clearcoat too? Which one?

Edited by Z06Bob

Im really lovin the stripes. I definately need to go find some of them.

I cant find them on Modeltruckin, are these before jerry bought the company?

It's this set. Item PB-425102

http://modeltruckin.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_148&products_id=13

These were made b4 Jerry took over, but he offers them. The hardest part is the section for the side of the sleeper. Everything else went on fairly simple. I didn't clear coat these b4 installing them as I was too afraid after what happened to the original set I had from JBOT. I think these aren't as brittle, although I did have a break or 2. They slide off the paper really nice and are fairly simple to work with.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

Really nice build you have! I have to say i love the stripe too.

I have several sets I just got from Jerry, they are great. I personally like to clear over the decals once done, but that really is a personal preference and has alot to do with the paint type you use.

Mark

This is the oldest project I have going, so I figure I should spend time on it and get it closer to being done. The name on the door should give a hint as to the planned trailer ;) I figure it was time for a mock up, so here it is.

A had a few ideas hit me recently and I went with some of them.

100_2591.jpg

"Detroit Muscle"

100_2587.jpg

100_2577.jpg

100_2576.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm doing the winterfront yet. It's the piece that comes with the Revell AG 359 kit, just ground very thin. As to the bugshield, that's from the Black Widow Peterbilt(Revell AG)kit. I painted it Testors Transparaent Candy Apple Red and added the KFS decals to it. Turned out better than I thought

Here's my first real overall mockup so you can see the look I'm going for. I toned down the chrome by stripping and spraying it with Model Master Metalizer Aluminum Plate Buffing Lacquer. I'm going for the look of a truck that's about 5 years old. Taken care of, but driven. It will be slightly weathered(Paint chips, not so shiny chrome, little things like that)

I took the Revell AG tank steps and narrowed them. The rear wheels came from the Revell AG Black Widow Pete and were molded in white plastic which was perfect. I added a few goodies. I'm going with a black frame. Trying to weather it in shades. The paint isn't done yet.

100_2597.jpg

Here's my grille. The mesh is from Plano Model Products and it's made of Stainless Steel. I believe it's item #210. I'm having trouble preventing the paint from rubbing off during buffing(any advice?). The grille isn't finished yet, just mocked up.

100_2600.jpg

100_2603.jpg

I really like how it turned out, even though the grille isn't done yet. This material is really easy to work with, and cuts easily with a pair of scissors. Thanks for looking.

Starting to look like a truck finally. The engine, tanks and battery boxes are glued in place, everything else is just for the mockup. Still some plumbing to do, but I figure the details can be added easier with a few things already in place.

The headlights are by Clint Freeman. I lost the lenses, so they are the fog light lenses from the snap kit

100_2618.jpg

100_2615.jpg

100_2619.jpg

I made these light bars from the rear bumper in the Revell AG Pete 359 kit. These represent the spring loaded type. I cut them to length, added the light on the end, and the plate that holds the spring is just scrap plastic.

100_2607.jpg

Still quite a few things to do, but I'm going to finish this one up soon.

• 3 years later...

I thought I had updated this one, but I see it's been quite some time. This truck unfortunately had to have it's cab and hood stripped. Jerry at modeltruckin.com came through with some new stripes. They're the same color, just with a silver outline instead of the previous gold. I'll be getting to this one next.

• 1 year later...

Time to catch this one up a little. This is the truck I am currently building. It's not too far from completion if I can avoid too many more setbacks. I had to strip the paint and start over. The cab is repainted. Same color as before. Dupli Color DSGM347. 

100_4068.jpg

Here's my progress under the hood.

100_4093.jpg

100_4136_1.jpg

Modified Revell AG 359 radiator

100_4044.jpg

scratch built condenser.

100_4042.jpg

I'm using another modified snap kit grille. Headlights are from amt. Tee single headlight shown earlier will be used on a California Hauler kit.

100_4067.jpg

New deck plates.

100_4069.jpg

Edited by SpreadAxle
changed picture

Now for the trailer. I started with this ebay junker and....

100_4072.jpg

...along with 2 other junked livestock vans created this early 1980s 45 ft livestock van.

stretched%20to%2045ft.jpg

My references were 1978, 1981, and 1982 Wilson livestock vans that were 46-48 ft long.

I modified the rear by replacing the swing doors with a solid wall. As for the roll up door, I made a new one using ribbed sheet plastic to simulate a metal roll up door.

rear%20mods.jpg

I'm using resin 2 hole Budd wheels I bought from a guy on ebay. the hub is a separate piece. I modified the brake drums from an amt Fruehauf tanker to use with these wheels.

100_4117.jpg

I sprayed the first coat of paint on the trailer today. I can see some more body work will be necessary, but at least it's easier to see what needs to be done as this finish highlights things.

I used Model Master Metalizer Aluminum Plate buffing lacquer.

100_4142.jpg

100_4140.jpg

100_4139.jpg

100_4137.jpg