Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT MOUNT 'N GOAT Jeep Commando

gasman

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Some questions I'd like to pose out of curiosity

- will it take much to backdate this tool into the previous style model?

- How much will it cost?

- Is there a market for this?

1) A lot of work. It's surprising how many different versions there are. How far back to go? :D

MPCJeepster1967.thumb.jpg.6d225c985c0d39d8fc024b27f1a581be.jpg

MPC69Jeepster.thumb.jpg.1be33b12a4ec13d6f2f7f2db69e6a5e3.jpg

MPCJeepster1970.jpg.169db1a472ff59ff7c7b3724ddb2ff02.jpg

MPC1971JeepsterWtW.JPG.797e7c16eae2ae13a7713d4a6a597880.JPG

MPCCommando2.jpg.93774f400f1a65a16a092d83f610f3f1.jpg

MPC1972JeepsterCommando.JPG.b719450eaed4270155531b3699b7b31b.JPG

MPCJeepHombre.jpg.15e2f733e1a46e719d7d4bcd8cb29370.jpg

MPCMountnGaoat.jpg.4cfdeb22046d828a1595f73641f926d4.jpg

MPCJCAutoScape.JPG.fac2d8f3877bc268ae2be1057bfbcc31.JPG

MPCMudslinger.thumb.jpg.52ccab6ce46cb603524aa96183d9c601.jpg

AMTMountNGoatSTevens.jpg.078e51e631912decafbe4dba9145cf49.jpg

Edited by Casey

3 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

These will do just fine :D

:lol: 

Maybe Round2 can do the Mount'n Goat Commando kit as a One Run of Fun (do they even do that anymore?) and backdate it to the generic "Commando" version with the snow plow when the move on the the next oil company licensing deal. I think they've done Texaco and Union 76, but not Shell yet. I doubt the sales would justify the cost of the backdating, but who knows, maybe some of the inserts for the plow still exist.

Hmmm, a separate 1/25 scale snow plow offered as an AMT Parts Pack... :)

I think I'll pick up one for parts to restore this beastie.  Took a fall after these pics were taken and some of the fragile suspension parts got broken.

LinkPhoto?GUID=23313b1c-629d-cb59-287b-1988435861f6&size=

LinkPhoto?GUID=696b26a3-3015-22fa-6e85-51cc5db77d19&size=

BTW ,,, 

I had one of the square grille ones back in the day and cut the front fenders and hood from an MPC CJ5 and put on it. IIRC, it fit right up with no needed mods aside from reinforcing the glue joint.  Makes a cool looking custom that still looks almost stock. ;)

51 minutes ago, hpiguy said:

OK, now that Safari one is way too cool. 

Would LOVE to see that again and they can let you build it stock or with all the safari goodies. 

I know, have one in the stash, it's a versatile vehicle, looking at all the box-art pics Casey posted, and if all the inserts, of all of the optional building versions survived, a killer mega multiple build kit possibility.

5 hours ago, hpiguy said:

OK, now that Safari one is way too cool. 

Would LOVE to see that again and they can let you build it stock or with all the safari goodies. 

There was one at the swap meet today in Salisbury NC- big money! There was a vendor who was selling the Mount'n Goat for $29, took a pass.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

:lol: 

Maybe Round2 can do the Mount'n Goat Commando kit as a One Run of Fun (do they even do that anymore?) and backdate it to the generic "Commando" version with the snow plow when the move on the the next oil company licensing deal. I think they've done Texaco and Union 76, but not Shell yet. I doubt the sales would justify the cost of the backdating, but who knows, maybe some of the inserts for the plow still exist.

Hmmm, a separate 1/25 scale snow plow offered as an AMT Parts Pack... :)

I would buy several, always liked the Commando with the early grille. That snow plow can be had from Olson Bros for about $14. 

• 1 month later...

I picked up one of these kits today. There are actually four wheel options in the kit: stock steel wheels, 1:20 wagon wheels, plated wheel covers, and plated deep turbine style. The sticker on the wrapping proclaimed three wheel options; since the turbine wheels don't fit either of the tire options that may be why. 

I hope someone will make resin copies of the full length roof and interior panels. The window pieces for the roof are still in the kit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 7:16 PM, kataranga said:

I hope someone will make resin copies of the full length roof and interior panels. The window pieces for the roof are still in the kit.

Hopefully Kris Morgan will have them soon:

• 2 weeks later...

I Finally got my hands on one of these kits. The last one at the local Hobby Lobby. Since they had 6 of them Monday of this week, they have sold well, apparently. I did a full-on examination of the kit. I'm not sure what parts (if any) that Round2 opened up, but looking at old instruction sheets over at Drastic Plastic shows that a large percentage of the optional parts are still in the kit. I have never owned this kit, so what follows are my impressions of a kit, I've never seen before. The blue Commando "Bill's Service" with a half cap and snowplow shown above in Casey's post, can be built with all parts from the newest boxing, sans Snowplow and older grille. And, as mentioned above Olsen Brothers re-pops the Plow in resin. As for the other parts, the Half-cab, Push Bumper, Lollipop Lights, Light bar, Loud Speaker, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit, Shortwave Radio, and a pair of Gumball lights(Bases and Red bubbles) are still in the kit. Some of these are on the chrome tree, and others are molded in blue. The Loud Speaker is molded in both chrome and blue.  Most of the optional Blue parts are all on the same tree. Look for the brush guard, trailer hitch, towbar, push bumper, shortwave radio (it is the  small, flat rectangle w/11 dials on it. It glues to the center of the dash), Back of the Loud Speaker is the tiny bit next to the towbar. The light bar is next to the push bumper. A Police or Beach Patrol build is all in the box. All you would need to supply are decals.

Note too, that there are two sets of springs in this kit. One set on the accessories tree, and one set with the axle tree. Looks like possibly extra rear springs. This is a great kit, and has just moved up to a "Clear-the-Bench" position. I want to build this one, now. And I'll be buying more of these, in order to build I'll the ideas I have for this beast.

Please, Please, Round2 could you backdate this kit, and add the Safari parts, back in? The older grille style will sell more of these. The full length soft top & hard top, would be another selling point. The snowplow would be great too, but now I'm reaching. I cannot rain enough superlatives on this thing! Round2, great job bringing this one back!

7 minutes ago, alexis said:

I Finally got my hands on one of these kits. The last one at the local Hobby Lobby. Since they had 6 of them Monday of this week, they have sold well, apparently. I did a full-on examination of the kit. I'm not sure what parts (if any) that Round2 opened up, but looking at old instruction sheets over at Drastic Plastic shows that a large percentage of the optional parts are still in the kit. I have never owned this kit, so what follows are my impressions of a kit, I've never seen before. The blue Commando "Bill's Service" with a half cap and snowplow shown above in Casey's post, can be built with all parts from the newest boxing, sans Snowplow and older grille. And, as mentioned above Olsen Brothers re-pops the Plow in resin. As for the other parts, the Half-cab, Push Bumper, Lollipop Lights, Light bar, Loud Speaker, Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit, Shortwave Radio, and a pair of Gumball lights(Bases and Red bubbles) are still in the kit. Some of these are on the chrome tree, and others are molded in blue. The Loud Speaker is molded in both chrome and blue.  Most of the optional Blue parts are all on the same tree. Look for the brush guard, trailer hitch, towbar, push bumper, shortwave radio (it is the  small, flat rectangle w/11 dials on it. It glues to the center of the dash), Back of the Loud Speaker is the tiny bit next to the towbar. The light bar is next to the push bumper. A Police or Beach Patrol build is all in the box. All you would need to supply are decals.

Note too, that there are two sets of springs in this kit. One set on the accessories tree, and one set with the axle tree. Looks like possibly extra rear springs. This is a great kit, and has just moved up to a "Clear-the-Bench" position. I want to build this one, now. And I'll be buying more of these, in order to build I'll the ideas I have for this beast.

Please, Please, Round2 could you backdate this kit, and add the Safari parts, back in? The older grille style will sell more of these. The full length soft top & hard top, would be another selling point. The snowplow would be great too, but now I'm reaching. I cannot rain enough superlatives on this thing! Round2, great job bringing this one back!

Thanks for this information, I wasn't aware of these extras you have pointed out, might have to get another one (or three!).

I figured that not many people are as (um, obsessed) with tracking back parts in kits. With every new Round2 kit, I go to Drastic Plastic and Casey's Website and scan instructions for parts that are no longer mentioned but are still in the box, and older build versions that have been forgotten. When I find them, I try to share.

Edit: the 2 sets of springs allow both the stock "Axle on top of Springs" mounting, and the popular "Flipped Axle" modification so beloved of Jeepers every where. This means mounting the axle 'underneath' the springs, thus getting a quick 2 inch lift. The parts look the same otherwise, which is why it took real effort to see. None of this is called out in the instructions. But the option IS there.You also get brackets to raise the rear axle even further.

Edited by alexis

15 hours ago, alexis said:

I figured that not many people are as (um, obsessed) with tracking back parts in kits. With every new Round2 kit, I go to Drastic Plastic and Casey's Website and scan instructions for parts that are no longer mentioned but are still in the box, and older build versions that have been forgotten. When I find them, I try to share. That is nice of you to point out as some may or may not buy a kit based on that information. I plan to buy another one of these based on your comments.

Edit: the 2 sets of springs allow both the stock "Axle on top of Springs" mounting, and the popular "Flipped Axle" modification so beloved of Jeepers every where. This means mounting the axle 'underneath' the springs, thus getting a quick 2 inch lift. The parts look the same otherwise, which is why it took real effort to see. None of this is called out in the instructions. But the option IS there.You also get brackets to raise the rear axle even further. I believe this was done to allow the much bigger tires to be used without having to do a whole lot of re-engineering of the kit. i will definitely build one stock height and one raised.

• 2 months later...

I have an 'Hombre" issue of this kit I built as a fire chief unit

with Suburbanite tires on Stock Hubcaps, and Original 'Between the spring & frame'

axle mount location

I think either pins were cast at both axle plate locations on the springs, or I drilled and pinned them

I found a parts lot 72 Annual with plow, Lights, siren, etc, and wagon roof to build the Fire Chief

I had already started to scratch the wagon roof sides, but had not started the top

Glad I found the parts kit

I Definitely want a few of these now with the Fire/Police parts Back in the box!!!

I also have a complete-started Autoscape issue missing the diorama

NO rotators, siren, etc in that one!!!

I have been stripping paint from the parts off & on since getting it a few years ago

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, it's a long shot, but does anyone happen to have the tailgate(not the upper hatch pictured here, just the tailgate) from the older version in their parts box. It's the only thing I'm missing to restore one now that I can combine it with the parts from the current Mount n Goat...

LinkPhoto?GUID=696b26a3-3015-22fa-6e85-51cc5db77d19&size=

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...