Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT MOUNT 'N GOAT Jeep Commando

gasman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This 2018 release builds up with no issues and yes, while some dislike it molded in color, once buffed a little bit and cleared the metallic blue looks really nice in my opinion. Better than most of us could do with paint and get that deep tiny flake look.

You can build it 'stockish' (not perfectly stock) as well as the modified off roader.

Based on some discussion in another thread this kit has the wrong engine for the year of the body style, it has the old v6 engine while the body style represents a year that only an AMC v8 should have been available. If you want the correct engine it comes in the  Honcho kit.

Time for a re-post of the "How-To" for backdating to the older style nose. The Inner Fenders and the older grill are in the kit. Not quite sure how to pull it off though.

Maybe someone will resin cast the hood. It  Looks to be the biggest issue with the conversion.

14 minutes ago, alexis said:

Time for a re-post of the "How-To" for backdating to the older style nose. The Inner Fenders and the older grill are in the kit. Not quite sure how to pull it off though.

Maybe someone will resin cast the hood. It  Looks to be the biggest issue with the conversion.

Can't the hood from a CJ5 be modified?

59 minutes ago, alexis said:

I haven't seen that info for many years here. I think it was posted once, in the OTW section, but no luck after searching.

'71 Jeepster:

71jeepster.jpg.505f175e6133d744d7958494c9a0c1f6.jpg

'72 Jeep Commando:

72commando.thumb.jpg.3db3ced2fa5a2038540132be22104819.jpg

Edited by Casey

On 2/8/2018 at 1:23 PM, alexis said:

Time for a re-post of the "How-To" for backdating to the older style nose. The Inner Fenders and the older grill are in the kit.

I don't think the inner fenders are the same parts are the previous fenders which were molded as one with the body when this kit was still the Jeepster, but it is possible they were repurposed.

Thanks to Chris' video, I see this kit contains an early Jeep two-spoke steering wheel and two sets of leaf springs, not just the high arch springs. Not a perfect kit, but there's enough there to use on various projects to make it worth buying.  :)

My 1:1 Jeepster has a springs over axles lift, as I believe this model has to clear the huge tires. I'm not sure if the instructions mention it, but it should pretty easy to lower it back down by putting the springs back under the axles to lower it back down over the normal sized tires...

JeepsterPicnic100105015-vi.jpg

1 hour ago, Ronster said:

I'm not sure if the instructions mention it, but it should pretty easy to lower it back down by putting the springs back under the axles to lower it back down over the normal sized tires.

The kit includes eight leaf springs, but I think the two sets of front spring are identical, which isn't much help for backdating to the stock-ish ride height. It does appear the original pair of rear leaf springs are included, though.

These are the more arched/heavy duty springs which I presume were added by MPC when the Jeepster kit became the Commando kit:

MPCJeepComHighSprings.jpg.35853a551639170cb834d9b59a2d224c.jpg

Edited by Casey

10 hours ago, Casey said:

The kit includes eight leaf springs, but I think the two sets of front spring are identical, which isn't much help for backdating to the stock-ish ride height. It does appear the original pair of rear leaf springs are included, though.

These are the more arched/heavy duty springs which I presume were added by MPC when the Jeepster kit became the Commando kit:

MPCJeepComHighSprings.jpg.35853a551639170cb834d9b59a2d224c.jpg

I wonder if the stock springs from one of the CJ-5 kits would work for the front? They look similar to the ones you have posted here Casey.