Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Revell Ford Country Squire

1957. Don't have a current value for you but this kit's highly desirable in any condition. Some builders may shy away 'cause of the multi-piece body, but it's very accurate, and the molds were irrevocably altered to a customized Ranchero version in the early '60s.

Congrats on a great find!

Honestly, I'd put it at between 125 to 200 bucks. depending on the condition of the model AND the box. This is a VERY desireable kit, an to find one UNBUILT AND complete,is a VERY good score. Do you mind if I ask what you DID pay for it?

The molds were destroyed to make the 57 ranchero kit, and then butchered one last time to make the "Street Custom" chopped roof version of same. We'll NEVER see that kit in it's original form again! GREAT SCORE!!! :D;)

You live around Columbia Falls area? I lived there, Kallispell, Polson during the early 80's.

Anytime you ask what something is worth, you will get people like me who will say "build it, worth nothing sitting in the box" "won't be worth anything we you are gone, so enjoy it"....that's how I am. You will also get guys who know they can't afford to buy it no matter how low the price and they will suggest ridiculous prices as high as the price guides that were made. Then you have guys that will tell you it's worth what someone will pay or the going rates of online auctions.

My suggestion is to decide if you want to keep and build or sell or trade it. If you want to sell it, I don't blame you to take the highest bids.....but I wouldn't count on getting big money. (yet , you may get lucky) The price of that kit "built" sells for around $30 or less on most days, unbuilt condition it might be worth more to some guys...but if it was offered to me it's not worth more than $50 because it's multi piece body. (would rather buy resin kit that has body together)

The box is neat, that is the biggest thing that grabs people, is the box art and the kit is complete? There are a lot of guys in this hobby that would buy it just for the box and being complete because they figure it's their investment for retirement.....good luck I say!

Here is how it looks built, pretty dang nice build it makes with the right skills and amount of patience.

built by Mike Kollver *edit font size*

100_7080-vi.jpg

Edited by awbcrazy

So what's the big problem with a multi-piece body?

Model kit engines are multi-piece, the chassis are multi-piece, same with the interiors. I don't see any downside to a model having a multi-piece body other than it takes a little more time and effort to build it.

So what's the big problem with a multi-piece body?

Model kit engines are multi-piece, the chassis are multi-piece, same with the interiors. I don't see any downside to a model having a multi-piece body other than it takes a little more time and effort to build it. But so what?

I just prefer not to build them. I have had some and got rid of them because the seems didn't line up and I think they were 1/32 scale. Thought a little more on it...the kit is pretty rare, he might get good money for it. I was just stating what it would be worth to me is all. ;) Just offered some insight....I see people asking price/value on old kits all the time. To me this hobby is not about value of the stuff we buid, it's actually building it and using it. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a bunch of mint vintage kits that some guys have, but I would just go nuts staring at the boxes and would end up selling them because I didn't have time to build them. To each his own....

I have one of those too. I also built a replica using the Rancharo kit as a starting point. A lot of work that one.... but the current price is right at about $200.00 to $300.00 for an unbuilt kit depending on how much the buyer wants it. At that price the buyer is little concerned with the difficulty of a multipiece body! More than likely the high ticket price is simply because the kit is sooooo freaking rare! This is because it will never be re-released due to the molds being irrevocable changed, never to be restored to "Country Squire" status again. I know this because I bugged Ed Sexton (Former Revell product manager) and the current man in charge Roger Harney many times regarding this very subject.

We are more likely to have a brand new mold made of that car before the old molds are returned to mint condition... and the chances of a new mold of a 50's station wagon are about 100,000 to 1!

I would keep it myself... because that is what I am doing... hahahahah

P1010019-vi.jpg

BTW here is my boxed example with the very dust covered build-up I constructed from the Rancharo with a few resin pieces cast off the original kit.

Good question to ask the executives at Revell who made the decisions then.

BECAUSE THEY SCREWED UP!

What was provided then was a sheet of acetate and some crappy patterns. You were required to cut to shape the front and back windows and BEND them into position... while the glue dried. I figure many a kid either ended up throwing the model across the room (Art?) or did what I did and make a mold for vacuum-forming a set of glass. (The sides glass is easy and flat.) Or do what Bob did and build it without the hassle.

Edited by Jairus

BECAUSE THEY SCREWED UP!

What was provided then was a sheet of acetate and some crappy patterns. You were required to cut to shape the front and back windows and BEND them into position... while the glue dried. I figure many a kid either ended up throwing the model across the room (Art?) or did what I did and make a mold for vacuum-forming a set of glass. (The sides glass is easy and flat.) Or do what Bob did and build it without the hassle.

I didn't build the car...I don't build stock. I edited the post with larger fonts so you can read the builder's name. Just showed a photo of one built for example, never said the man and woman came with it. Also....I would not build a car with windows missing. Not a bash at all though, it's still a very nice build.

BECAUSE THEY SCREWED UP!

Yeah, that was me. I used one of my Courier resin castings (modified a Country Squire to do that one, a sedan delivery) as what we at Johnny Lightning called a "reference model" for the chinese pattern makers to understand more fully the proportions of the car when they did the tooling mockups (masters) for the Johnny Lightning 1/24 scale diecast Courier. I had to send that master to Beanstalk Productions, then the licensing agent for Ford Motor Company for approval. It came back, with a list of "dings" from Patrick Mulligan (who was editor of that other model car magazine for a year or so before going to Detroit and Beanstalk), with photo's and factory drawings to back up what he said needed to be corrected. We were close, but not close enough to satisfy Ford, so it took another two weeks or so to come up with a body shell master that would pass Beanstalk's inspection. The result was this:

FordWagon_PS34-vi.jpg

FordWagon_DSR34-vi.jpg

These pics are of the test shots, of which I have a couple, and represent what Patrick told me were the most accurately done '57 Ford station wagon bodies he'd ever seen in 1/24 scale. The production piece was done as a white and yellow with red trim and logo's Coca Cola Bottler's service car. Only about 10,000 or so were ever produced by RC2, so they are a bit hard to find now (production run was in early 2005).

Art

Yeah, that was me. I used one of my Courier resin castings (modified a Country Squire to do that one, a sedan delivery) as what we at Johnny Lightning called a "reference model" for the chinese pattern makers to understand more fully the proportions of the car when they did the tooling mockups (masters) for the Johnny Lightning 1/24 scale diecast Courier. I had to send that master to Beanstalk Productions, then the licensing agent for Ford Motor Company for approval. It came back, with a list of "dings" from Patrick Mulligan (who was editor of that other model car magazine for a year or so before going to Detroit and Beanstalk), with photo's and factory drawings to back up what he said needed to be corrected. We were close, but not close enough to satisfy Ford, so it took another two weeks or so to come up with a body shell master that would pass Beanstalk's inspection. The result was this:

FordWagon_PS34-vi.jpg

FordWagon_DSR34-vi.jpg

These pics are of the test shots, of which I have a couple, and represent what Patrick told me were the most accurately done '57 Ford station wagon bodies he'd ever seen in 1/24 scale. The production piece was done as a white and yellow with red trim and logo's Coca Cola Bottler's service car. Only about 10,000 or so were ever produced by RC2, so they are a bit hard to find now (production run was in early 2005).

Art

I was lucky to find two of them. I would love to see this one in plastic.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a bunch of mint vintage kits that some guys have, but I would just go nuts staring at the boxes and would end up selling them because I didn't have time to build them. To each his own....

The very reason Bob, I've been getting rid of vintage kits on the 'Bay recently. No point in keeping them if I'm never going to build them.

That's been kind of my new mindset lately toward the hobby. I've got a ton of kits now that if I were to live to 100........they would never get finished the way I build. :lol:

• 5 years later...

The Country Squire kit didn't include ANY windows...not even the piece of clear sheet plastic. No templates for cutting windows from flat stock on the instruction sheet either. The Revell 1/32 scale '55 and '56 annual kits were the same in this regard.

• 6 years later...

Decades ago I bought a resin copy of this kit. It had the multi-piece body, all the unique Squire parts and all. It was meant to use the Ranchero as a donor for the basic chassis, engine and chrome.

I built it and enjoyed it like I was building an original Revell kit.

I wish I knew who made it. I'd like to find another one.

Anyone recall the maker?

The Modelhaus ,of course! I have a Modelhaus conversion kit that he did .It was  the body sides and interior stuff? and chrome bumpers ( a bargan at today's prices ), and you used the Ranchero for all other parts. I think I paid 20.00 or 25.00  for the conversion kit many years ago from a show in Toledo, Ohio from Don Holthaus. It was the only way at the time I knew I could find and build an affordable kit of this car. But I still haven't built it to this day!!!!!!!!!!LOL( too many projects , not enough time!)

8 hours ago, paul alflen said:

The Modelhaus ,of course! I have a Modelhaus conversion kit that he did .It was  the body sides and interior stuff? and chrome bumpers ( a bargan at today's prices ), and you used the Ranchero for all other parts. I think I paid 20.00 or 25.00  for the conversion kit many years ago from a show in Toledo, Ohio from Don Holthaus. It was the only way at the time I knew I could find and build an affordable kit of this car. But I still haven't built it to this day!!!!!!!!!!LOL( too many projects , not enough time!)

I don't think mine had the chrome parts because I remember using those parts from the Ranchero and hubcaps from the AMT Ford kit. Mine had some flash and required cleanup, can't recall Modelhaus kits needing work like that, but as you said, it was the only way I was going to be able to afford to build one. I was happy with it.

I think Flintstone makes a one piece body of one, but I don't know if it includes the seats and other wagon paraphernalia. 

I did like the challenge of the multi-piece body though.

I missed out on the VW deluxe van kit the seller had at the same time, but it built up the same way.