Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frankenstein revealed

Zoom Zoom

This idea hatched from ideas of what to do w/a new Camaro, w/o making it a Camaro. I was thinking of using it as a basis for a modern 'cuda, since I like the overall proportions of the Camaro better than the Challenger.

We have a "Retro in the Metro" theme for our NNL in 2 weeks. We have a Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang illustrated on our flyer. One of my cohorts was planning to build one of each for the show. I realized I might be able to do all three in one model. Hmmmm.. :P:)

I like the main body of the Camaro better than the Challenger. I like the Challenger front end better than the Camaro. Once the idea was in my head to add Mustang to the equation, it all came together, because I found out pretty quickly that the three could combine into one.

Hopefully it'll be ready in 2 weeks for our show. It's almost ready for color. A modeling friend suggested the name "Menage", I might respell it "Menaj", or call it "Flashback", since I see other cars in it as well.

IMG_7716-vi.jpg

IMG_7718-vi.jpg

IMG_7719-vi.jpg

IMG_7315-vi.jpg

IMG_7317-vi.jpg

The Camaro front end is longer than the Challenger, I cast the stock hood and lengthened it using two resin hoods grafted together. The front is longer, but the model will use Camaro chassis/interior, wheelbase is shorter than Challenger.

IMG_7323-vi.jpg

That's really a nice lookin' car Bob B)

It looks like a factory design.

The idea, the visual, and the execution are brilliant B) , but my brain is sorta messed up cause it's not sure how to "CATALOGUE" it :huh::huh:;):lol::lol: - three cars in one???

That'll give them something to ponder when they have to put it in a catagory :) .

Have fun at the show :P .

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Bob, Ya hit THIS rascal OUT THA PARK!!!!! :P That is SOOOO cool it's TOOOOO Cool!!! I LOVE it! If you don't get SOMETHIN for it,Welp then, them judges got NO imagination! But at least you'll be the ONLY kid onna block with a Camlengertang!!! ;)B)B) I WANT one!!!!

Thanks! It's an NNL, everything is popular vote, and I never expect anything...the trophies to me are the models themselves :)

I just get jazzed up to build something for a theme, w/o even thinking about competition. There aren't many judged contests I go to. This beast is a styling exercise, so it's not going to be pretty underneath :lol: (if you've ever seen a 1:1 concept car...same story, you don't want to see "the man behind the curtain" so to speak). Curbside, no motor, chassis there to locate the body and hang the four wheels.

I am pretty psyched because I love the styling, it just seems to work, and I can have something unique that nobody else has.

Well, whatever you wind up calling it, it looks pretty cool... especially the rear 3/4 view. You certainly "fixed" the Camaro's styling, that's for sure.

Thanks; in a perfect world I would have made the back end 1/8" shorter. One of my best friends looked at it, and said "after looking at it, there's one thing I would change...", I then interjected "the back end is 1/8" too long but I'm not going to change it" and he said that's exactly what he was going to suggest. It would have given the car a bit more "fastback" look. And if I had a 2010 Mustang to work with, the tapered corners would have done the trick. Anyway, thanks for the comments, I do like where this is going, as it does take care of the things that I disliked about the Camaro and Challenger...whereas the Mustang element is sort of along for the ride, but it works. I will be painting it Grabber Orange and it will have Mustang wheels, so it'll be a bit more cohesive when it's done. I hope :)

I like how you reworked the seam at the back between the body and the "bumper"... good placement, good eye for detail and cohesive design. Most people will never notice that detail when the model is done, because it's not noticeable... it just looks right.

When you look at the primed body, you really have to look twice to even see what's "different"... and that's a good thing, because it means the design works.

Looks great! All the different elements merge together very well. I don't think the rear is too long - the car has a beautiful long, low, look. One of the things I don't like about the donor cars is the extremely tall height from the side windows to the rocker panels. That is not so apparent now.

The one thing I would change is the "Aero" panel on the bottom of the Mustang bumper. It doesn't match the rest of the car.

This is one of my favorite customs. It just looks right. Looking forward to seeing it done.

It looks beautiful, Bob. What a great idea. I think though that I, too, would remove that "Aero" piece on the bottom of the Mustang bumper. It doesn't seem to fit. However, I would leave the exhaust cutouts because they seem to match the running lights/turn signals of the Challenger front. It would sort of tie the front and back together.

I can't wait to see this one finished.

Later-

The one thing I would change is the "Aero" panel on the bottom of the Mustang bumper. It doesn't match the rest of the car.

This is one of my favorite customs. It just looks right. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Thanks!

The aero panel on the rear fascia will be blacked out like the GT500 & GT500KR, along w/part of the rocker area, and the chin spoiler that's not shown in these photos. It should be balanced & not out of place once the three lower areas are tied together visually by the black details. Getting rid of it by smoothing it out would make for too much unbroken vertical height.

What are you going to do on the interior?

As little as possible; AMT Camaro interior painted black. This is a styling exercise; one reason I went w/the AMT kit was it has side glass...allowing me to put the lion's share of work on the exterior, and downplay the interior. I'll use a better steering wheel/column, but w/the narrow openings & side glass most interior detail won't show well anyway. Many styling bucks don't even have full interiors.

This model is also being built as a curbside...no engine. Just a provocative "what if"...though in real life I'd like to have it with something like a ZR1/CTS-V powerplant & an Audi S5-like interior.